Apple plans major overhaul for AirPods line in 2024 and 2025

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware

A new report suggests that Apple plans to revamp its entire AirPods lineup over the next few years, switching the line to USB-C and creating two new versions of the base-level AirPods.

Most notably, Apple plans discontinue the second and third-generation AirPods in 2024. Two new fourth-generation AirPods models will replace them.

Bloomberg has reported these will be priced similarly to their predecessors but feature a unique design combining elements of the third-generation AirPods and the AirPods Pro model with shorter stems.

To distinguish between the two options, the premium model will come equipped with noise cancellation technology and an enhanced charging case that incorporates built-in speakers for Find My alerts, resembling the current design of AirPods Pro.

The entry-level AirPods will have a better fit, but no replaceable tips like the AirPods Pro. Additionally, the fourth-generation AirPods will come with USB-C charging cases, as seen in the AirPods Pro.

Apple may also release a new version of their AirPods Max headphones in 2024. Allegedly, the high-end headphones will get a USB-C port and come in new colors, but won't see other significant upgrades.

The transition to USB-C aligns with Apple's move to phase out the Lightning port from its iPhones, a response to European Union regulations. The company's accessory lineup is following suit in adopting the USB-C standard.

Apple has plans to revamp the AirPods Pro by introducing a new design and chip in 2025. The company is also exploring health-related features for the device, focusing on hearing-related functions.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    AirPods Max are great sound but they are just too heavy for extended use.  A design change is in order.
    tyler82dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    AirPods Max was perfect when they came out. 

Then they one-upped themselves in terms of ease of wear with the Beats Studio. 

I suspect the AP Max will be redesigned to be the top dog in every category. 

Regular AirPods and AirPods Pro may get streamlined but Mmmm and have longer listening life. 

It’s amazing what apple has done with wireless headphones and EarPods. But everyone is catching up. Time to set the bar again. 
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Here's hoping that "major overhaul" includes a design that lets them stay in my ears for longer than 5-10 minutes.  While sitting on my couch watching TV, I can depend on them loosening up enough to fall out withing just a few minutes.
    byronldope_ahminewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I always wanted to get a set of AirPods Max but probably never will. I have two HomePods I have in stereo pair for when I want listen to music at home or watch movies with special audio. I have a set of 3rd gen AirPods for light use and working out and my pride and joy are a set of Dyson Zone headphones which not only have great audio and noise cancellation, they also have PERFUME cancellation! Which, when you’re like me who is incredibly allergic to even tiny amounts of perfume (multi-day migraines if I’m left in a room too long where somebody is wearing perfume or has an ‘air freshener’ or has sprayed something.) Given that these over the ear cans sound great and protect me in public, I simply have no reason to own a set of AirPods Max. Though, if I didn’t have this condition I’d probably have already justified buying a set.