New 14-inch & 16-inch MacBook Pro sport M3, and come in black

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2023

The 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro have been given an update, becoming among the first Macs to be issued as part of the M3 Apple Silicon generation.

Space Black M3 Pro MacBook Pro
Space Black M3 Pro MacBook Pro

Introduced as part of Apple's "Scary Fast" event on Monday, the updated 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro are now sporting new chips. Previously running on the M2 Pro and M2 Max, the new models are using the M3, M3 Pro and M3 Max.

As a specifications bump update, the new M3 variants of 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro both have practically the same core features as the M2 counterparts, albeit with more performance. The 14-inch MacBook Pro gets the base M-series chipset for the first time, replacing the 13-inch MacBook Pro which previously got the base M-series chipset.

The mini LED-backlit displays continue to be 14.2 inches and 16.2 inches in size, with resolutions of 3,024 by 1,964 and 3,456 by 2,234 respectively, complete with Wide Color (P3) support, True Tone, and ProMotion. HDR content can get brighter with up to 1,600 nits, while SDR content is now displayed at 600 nits.

Also making a return is the Touch ID security on the Magic Keyboard, a six-speaker system with force-canceling woofers and Dolby Atmos support, and 70-watt-hour and 100-watt-hour batteries, depending on the physical size.

Apple's decision to upgrade the models to M3 is unusual, as it only added M2 Pro and M2 Max options in January, meaning the new models are out less than a year after the previous ones.

New MacBook Pros
New MacBook Pros

Configurations

The 14-inch MacBook Pro with M3 is essentially the new 13-inch MacBook Pro. However, it has the mini-LED backlit ProMotion display and new design. The Touch Bar has finally exited the current lineup.

The 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro with M3 Pro and M3 Max chipsets replace the M2 Pro and M2 Max configurations. They have similar options but now peak at 128GB of RAM.

Storage options start at 512GB with options up to 8TB in capacity. A 1080p FaceTime HD camera is in the display notch, supported by an image signal processor included in the Apple Silicon chip itself.

A new Space Black option is available for MacBook Pros running the M3 Pro or M3 Max.

The 14-inch MacBook Pro with M3 starts at $1,499. The 16-inch MacBook Pro with M3 Pro starts at $2,499. These models are available for preorder Monday after the event and ship the first week of November.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    Midnight Black 16” M3 Max looks delicious
    williamlondonmacxpressronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 67
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    Available next week Apple executing/delivering real products for sale, no vaporware.
    williamlondonmacxpressronnStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 67
    The new machines look very impressive. Apple needs to quickly roll out M3 options across the board.
    Alex1Nkeithwwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Man, my maxed out 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro still serves me well, and the GPU improvements really piqued my interest (2.5X faster in Cinema 4D!) but, it was really the Space Black that made me realizing I'm going to have some irresponsible thoughts going through my head for a while on this one. That's a much deserved "finally"! :D
    docno42williamlondonronnd_2StrangeDaysAlex1Nwatto_cobrabala1234jony0
  • Reply 5 of 67
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    The 13" MacBook Pro is finally dead...replaced by the M3 14" MacBook Pro. 
    edited October 2023 dewmeRadMaxurashidentropysAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 67
    They demoed protools. Forgetting the cost of protools, a 16" m3max with the 40gpu cores and 128GB of ram brings it to up to 5 grand. Too expensive for me. 
    edited October 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 67
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I hope there’s a price drop coming shortly for MacBook Air models.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 67
    kkeekkee Posts: 19member
    Will the space black be fingerprint magnet? Other than that, it is stunning! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 67
    kkeekkee Posts: 19member
    hselburn said:
    They demoed protools. Forgetting the cost of protools, a 16" m3max with the 40gpu cores and 128GB of ram brings it to up to 5 grand. Too expensive for me. 
    for 40GPU cores? no mate, that's not too expensive.
    williamlondonmacxpressronnentropystmaywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 67
    kkee said:
    Will the space black be fingerprint magnet? Other than that, it is stunning! 
    They addressed that, actually.
    williamlondonmacxpressronnd_2entropysAlex1Ntyler82watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 67

hselburn said:
    So don't buy it? ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    williamlondonmacxpresseightzeroronnd_2StrangeDaysAlex1NJapheytmaymike1
  • Reply 12 of 67
    128GB of RAM! Nice! My Adobe After Effects needs it. But I’m a bit disappointed on the only 8TB SSD for the maximum storage. I was hoping it to be more like 10TB. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 67
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I totally expected the black option but I thought they would use the same black (Midnight Black) they used on the M2 MacBook Air. I was hoping for a black iMac too. Apple must have been reading all of the negative reviews about the Midnight Black M2 MacBook Air being a fingerprint magnet because they corrected the issue when doing the Space Black M3 MacBook Pro.

Kudos to Apple for raising the bar once again. These new MacBooks are nothing short of impressive. Hopefully game developers will give the Mac another look. If my evaluation of personal productivity identified my Mac as being the primary impediment to my performance and throughput, I would jump on one of these immediately. 
    williamlondonronnAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 67
    bluefire1 said:
    I hope there’s a price drop coming shortly for MacBook Air models.
    They're already pretty cheap for what you get and there are good deals out there outside of Apple. 
    edited October 2023 williamlondonronnAlex1Nbluefire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 67
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    I thought it was a good show. 30m was plenty, and I can see why they wanted to tout this. Fairly, it could have been done in 15m, but I won't quibble. Really? A dramatic pause and a separate video for a new color? 

I am glad they offer such great products. Choices are good. But...I will never use any of these machines. They are not "consumer" products, and very much an industrial level computing system. That's a good thing for AAPL. I won't be buying an M3 iMac, as my M1 Mac mini will likely suit my consumer needs for...well...maybe a decade or more. YMMV, and I happy if you find a use for these very nice machines. Looks like good value if you need one.

What I'd really like is for my email program to work correctly. When I hit "send later" it should move to the send email box when it goes. And do that scary fast.
    dewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobraappleinsideruser
  • Reply 16 of 67
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    Wow. Maxed out (pun intended) 16” comes in at $7200. 😳 But, a well configured 14” (16 core, 64GB, 4TB) at $4900. That is a solid desktop replacement machine with incredible portability.

as for iMac, no Pro love. That should have been an extra +moment for the event. Shame, missed opportunity. But then, they really want to push the MacStudio & Studio Display combo for pro desktop.

It really feels like foolish to buy a Mac Studio M2 Max/Ultra right now. An M2 Max system comes to $3800…and slower than the M3 14” MBP spec’ed above.
    kkeeAlex1Nkeithwwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 67
    It was kinda of a disappointment, was expecting a few things more. However, I just updated my MacBook Pro back at the beginning of the year to the new M2, however, I’m addicted and I need the new black! Where is the Apple card again? When can I buy that… That was a rhetorical question I know the answer.
    edited October 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 67
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Oh well, that's A$4199 down the tube. I really wanted a Max, but can't really afford it at the current prices. So, I got the upper Pro model. Should be plenty for home defence.

Plus Space Black, I mean, I couldn't not.
    d_2entropysthomaslangstonphdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 67
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    AniMill said:
    Wow. Maxed out (pun intended) 16” comes in at $7200. 😳 But, a well configured 14” (16 core, 64GB, 4TB) at $4900. That is a solid desktop replacement machine with incredible portability.

as for iMac, no Pro love. That should have been an extra +moment for the event. Shame, missed opportunity. But then, they really want to push the MacStudio & Studio Display combo for pro desktop.

It really feels like foolish to buy a Mac Studio M2 Max/Ultra right now. An M2 Max system comes to $3800…and slower than the M3 14” MBP spec’ed above.
    my guess would be the M3 studio line shows up when they can actually get the chip supply. the "missed opportunity" likely caused by the chips not being available in quantity yet. and something had to come out first.
    macxpressronnAlex1Nkeithwwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 67
    eightzero said:
    AniMill said:

my guess would be the M3 studio line shows up when they can actually get the chip supply. the "missed opportunity" likely caused by the chips not being available in quantity yet. and something had to come out first.
    Yes I bet early spring 2024 you'll see new a new M3 Pro/Max/Ultra Mac Studio. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mac Pro updated at the same time, possibly with a brand new design with updated features that will set itself apart from the Mac Studio. 
    thomaslangstonphdkeithwwilliamlondonwatto_cobraAlex1N