Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad didn't get USB-C -- but it's still coming

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware

Contrary to rumors, Apple has not yet moved its lineup of Mac input accessories to USB-C, but it's still going to happen sooner rather than later.

Apple did not launch a hotly anticipated line of USB-C accessories alongside its refreshed 24-inch iMac after Monday's Apple Event. Instead, the company has opted to keep offering Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Mouse devices with Lightning.

The change is notable as the company has aggressively shifted some Lightning devices to USB-C already. Currently, all latest-generation iPad models, second-generation AirPods Pro, the Siri remote, and iPhone 15 line have all swapped their Lightning ports for USB-C.

Apple isn't yet forced to release products with USB-C by the European Union, and it can sell Lightning products that originally shipped before the 2024 deadline for as long as it wants. That regulation still looms, though.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Strange this takes so long. 
    tyler82grandact73
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I only hope Apple has redesigned their Magic Mouse and moved its charging port from the underside of the mouse. Worst designed Apple product ever!
    edited October 2023 tyler82dewmeomasouwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 20
    These use "lightning" like older iPhones? Strange. 
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 4 of 20
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    These are last remaining devices that I'm waiting to upgrade, so that I can get rid of my USB C to Thunderbolt cables.

The EU laws have really benefited the environment. I have over 20 old and new lightening cable headed to the landfills. /s
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 20
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    MSS1960 said:
    I only hope Apple has redesigned their Magic Mouse and moved its charging port from the underside of the mouse. Worst designed Apple product ever!
    Probably what's taking so long for them to upgrade, they have to redesign it to move the charging port  :D
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 20
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    JinTech said:
    MSS1960 said:
    Probably what's taking so long for them to upgrade, they have to redesign it to move the charging port  :D
    Hum. I wonder what a MagSafe mouse might look like. 
  • Reply 7 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    omasou said:
    These are last remaining devices that I'm waiting to upgrade, so that I can get rid of my USB C to Thunderbolt cables.

The EU laws have really benefited the environment. I have over 20 old and new lightening cable headed to the landfills. /s
    Maybe try recycling them?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Japhey said:
    omasou said:

My vague recollection is that Apple would send a shipping paid label to return computers to them for recycle. Wonder if they would provide such a thing for cables and other detritus. My municipality prohibits "eWaste" in the recycle bin. 
  • Reply 9 of 20
    MSS1960 said:
    For the next shot on iPhone product release I want to see something like this:  

Scene opens with Tim Cook speaking to a locker room full of engineers, preparing to give an inspirational half time speech:  Guys - I know you have missed deadline after deadline, but I know you, I know your skills and I believe in you!  You can get these products out the door!  

"But Coach -- we've tried and tried but we just can't seem to figure out a way to move the charging port from the bottom.  Everything we've tried just doesn't seem to work...we tried moving it the top but then you can't use it because you can't put your hand on it and the port collects dust.  This is impossible!"  

Team -- we have to do this -- our entire EU strategy is dependent on this.  Are you going to let a bunch of little bureaucrats beat us?  Hell No!  You've tried the bottom, you've tried the top.  I don't know what else is possible but I know you can figure it out!  We will not complete our transition to USBC until we figure out port placement.  

"Coach- maybe we can use the iPhone as a trackpad?  Maybe we can ditch charging altogether and make the mice disposable?"  

See team -- that's exactly the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that Steve would have done --  let's win this for him!  Who the hell says Apple can't innovate any more!  Full wallets, closed eyes, can't lose!!!

headfull0wine
  • Reply 10 of 20
    You’re buying a computer with a bleeding edge chip but deprecated peripherals. I just don’t get it. This makes me not want to buy an iMac till they ship with Type C. 
  • Reply 11 of 20
    You’re buying a computer with a bleeding edge chip but deprecated peripherals. I just don’t get it. This makes me not want to buy an iMac till they ship with Type C. 
    Here's the thing: wait for the new USB-C peripherals, and get those....to connect to a refurbished M1 iMac. Cost drops by half, and you have an excellent home computer that fills the need of just about every consumer short of pros. I'd prefer to bank the $500 difference, as an M3 buys me little over what an M1 can do for me. Same OS, same gorgeous screen and form factor.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    eightzero said:
    Japhey said:
    omasou said:

My vague recollection is that Apple would send a shipping paid label to return computers to them for recycle. Wonder if they would provide such a thing for cables and other detritus. My municipality prohibits "eWaste" in the recycle bin. 
    Not sure about Apple, but Best Buy has bins at the entrances of their stores for e-waste. That’s where I go. 
    eightzero
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Japhey said:
    eightzero said:
    Japhey said:
    omasou said:

Not sure about Apple, but Best Buy has bins at the entrances of their stores for e-waste. That’s where I go. 
    What is this "entrance of their stores" you speak of? 
  • Reply 14 of 20
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    Please just kill the tragic mouse. It was/is a terrible design - emblematic of Ive’s worst work (this and the Butterfly Keyboard). Kill it with fire…and give us a solid design with a proper Middle Mouse Button while their at it.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    There is different side of story..
    Why Apple need to redesign mouse and keyboard? 
    Next year end refresh iMac, they can simply replace lightening port to usb-c. They already done this on Apple pencil.
    Why? Apple collect some fee for mfi certification.
    if Apple design mouse and keyboard so good then consumer does not have to buy 3rd party mouse and keyboard. Which end of collecting mfi fee.

So Apple need to provide basic mouse and keyboard and consumer want better peripheral then they can buy 3rd party mouse and keyboard.
    Apple still collecting mfi fee. win win.

Also different shape of mouse and keyboard will take more space in the box. Bigger box means less package can be shipped per container. Not a good idea.
    Apple always think about how to cut cost for shipping.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Japhey said:
    omasou said:

You miss the point. In EU's attempt to create less electronic waste they caused a massive spike in it. Even if temporarily or until the new connection standard is released.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    HonkersHonkers Posts: 156member
    omasou said:
    Japhey said:
    omasou said:

You miss the point. In EU's attempt to create less electronic waste they caused a massive spike in it. Even if temporarily or until the new connection standard is released.
    The EU did not vapourise all devices that use Lightning cables.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Honkers said:
    omasou said:
    Japhey said:
    omasou said:

You and others may not upgrade annually but the numbers that do adds up. Gov't needs to stay out of telling companies how to design products. If they wanted to kill a connector how about micro-usb that is the most useless/refuse to die cra**y connector ever designed.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    omasou said:
    Honkers said:
    omasou said:
    Japhey said:
    omasou said:

You and others may not upgrade annually but the numbers that do adds up. Gov't needs to stay out of telling companies how to design products. If they wanted to kill a connector how about micro-usb that is the most useless/refuse to die cra**y connector ever designed.
    What do you do with your old phone when you upgrade?  As long as the answer isn't "throw it in the trash", do something similar with your cables.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 20
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member
    If they are just keeping what they have then what reason (outside of some long-running supply contract) to not just switch out a USBc socket for the lightning one? 

Some bigger redesign would seem to be a reason to wait.
    Now, If they can make a touch panel that works with the Apple Pencil that would be a winner for me.