Apple pauses iOS 18, macOS 15 work to stomp bugs now

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    We did this at a place I worked once. Think it was a bit longer than a week. Either way the time absolutely flew by. Just the investigation phase took days sometimes. Fix, test, re-fix cycles. A week will fly by. Some overtime to be had, I hope. 
    command_f
  • Reply 42 of 45
    This is welcome news. I am experiencing some major bugs in Sonoma and iOS17. Sonoma has significant issues with Waking from Sleep and AirDrop to name but two. Updating to iOS17 I got duplicate apps and all sorts of other annoyances. I’d be happy to wait an extra 12 months for iOS 18 if it meant 17 became rock solid and fast. (My still-working iPhone 4 feels fast compared to 17 on my iPhone 14 Pro.)

williamlondon
  • Reply 43 of 45
    beadlien said:
    This is welcome news. I am experiencing some major bugs in Sonoma and iOS17. Sonoma has significant issues with Waking from Sleep and AirDrop to name but two. Updating to iOS17 I got duplicate apps and all sorts of other annoyances. I’d be happy to wait an extra 12 months for iOS 18 if it meant 17 became rock solid and fast. (My still-working iPhone 4 feels fast compared to 17 on my iPhone 14 Pro.)

I also have the duplicate app issue! Around 10 apps had duplicates. When I remove one, both are removed. Luckily this corrects the issue and then no longer shows up.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    We did this at a place I worked once. Think it was a bit longer than a week. Either way the time absolutely flew by. Just the investigation phase took days sometimes. Fix, test, re-fix cycles. A week will fly by. Some overtime to be had, I hope. 
    Absolutely. I fear it will only be the simple/easy ones that get fixed. Anything with implications beyond a single software unit is hard to understand and co-ordinate in a single week. I would have a lot more hope if it was a month.

I understand that they've tied themselves into annual upgrades because they have to support new hardware each year. However, there's no need to add extra features beyond that if the trade-off is a more pleasant (faster, less buggy) user experience. And there's certainly no need for another visual overhaul with yet more new icons and even more overloaded window handles.

Still, perhaps they could save time by deciding broken fixes are no worse than bugs so there's no need to test them...  /s