Apple releases iOS 17.1.1 & iPadOS 17.1.1 updates to fix various bugs

Posted:
in iOS edited November 2023

Apple has released iOS 17.1.1 and iPadOS 17.1.1 updates that addresses charging-related NFC issues and the weather Lock Screen widget.

Apple has issued an interim iOS 17.1.1 update
Apple has issued an interim iOS 17.1.1 update

Following both the official release of iOS 17.1 in October 2023, and also the betas of iOS 17.2 that began shortly afterwards, Apple has issued a bug fix update. Both iOS 17.1.1 and iPadOS 17.1.1 have been released with bug fixes.

Apple rarely details every bug fixed in a release, so until the update has been tested, it's not possible to be sure what has changed. Apple shared only two known bug fixes in the release notes.

Apple says the iOS 17.1.1 update addresses an iPhone 15 charging problem, seen by some BMW and Toyota Supras drivers. Apple has acknowledged that the wireless charging systems in these cars can deactivate the iPhone 15 range's Near Field Communications (NFC) capabilities.

Weather Lock Screen widgets also had an issue where snow would show up as a folder icon or blank. Apple says this bug has also been addressed.

An issue still affecting iOS 17.1 users that has actually been fixed in iOS 17.2 is a bug concerning Wi-Fi connectivity. Given that Apple is not just waiting for the official release iOS 17.2, it's possible that it has also worked this fix into this new iOS 17.1.1 update.

As is usual for iOS releases, Apple released iOS 17.1.1 and iPadOS 17.1.1 to users. They are build 21B91.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Well, hmm. Interestingly, Wikipedia article for iOS 17 doesn't seem to recognize 17.1.1 as available.

Just updated an 11 Series myself, via a Mac, and only received 17.1?  :/

Searches for iOS Build # 21B91 also seem to yield very few results, as of the moment (early Nov. 8).
    edited November 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    Curiously,  the update was not available when connected to lightning cable to my macbook.  But, was available over wifi on the phone. I usually use finder to update.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Well, hmm. Interestingly, Wikipedia article for iOS 17 doesn't seem to recognize 17.1.1 as available.

Just updated an 11 Series myself, via a Mac, and only received 17.1?  :/

Searches for iOS Build # 21B91 also seem to yield very few results, as of the moment (early Nov. 8).
    First of all, volunteer editors maintain Wikipedia not Apple. The page will be updated when someone gets around to it. While certainly useful on occasion Wikipedia is not an official Apple Support site.

Second, Apple does not make these updates available to everyone on the planet at the same instant. They stagger the rollout to ease the load on their content delivery network. Check back tomorrow, it will probably be there for you.

Third, if you really need 17.1.1 this instant, you can visit ipsw.me and download the blob from there. That site does not host downloads, they simply post URLs of the original files hosted by Apple's CDN. Once you've downloaded the package, you can update by Option-Left Click the "Update" button in Finder after you've connected your iPhone to your Mac via cable then selecting the ipsw file. This has been my preferred way of updating my iDevices for the past decade (using the complete blob from ipsw.me) versus an incremental delta update.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I would just be happy if they could fix the issues with hearing aids.  I have grown dependent on using my ipad to adjust my hearing aid and to listen to things I cant hear in my daily life.  Since updating to 17.1.1, it's all gone.