macOS Sonoma and macOS Ventura updates are here with fixes for M3 Macs

Posted:
in macOS

Some customers have reported the M3 MacBook Pro shipped with macOS Ventura with no way to upgrade to macOS Sonoma, but Tuesdays updates are expected to address that.

macOS Sonoma
macOS Sonoma

An unusual set of updates have been released by Apple on Tuesday. They lack detailed release notes and claim to address bug fixes and security updates.

The updates include macOS Ventura 13.6.2 and macOS Sonoma 14.1.1. Both were released with two build numbers.

macOS Ventura 13.6.2 build 22G320 is for older Macs unable to update to macOS Sonoma and contains bug fixes. The build 22G2321 is for the MacBook Pro with M3 that shipped with macOS Ventura.

It seems some of the 14-inch MacBook Pro models with M3 have been ready to ship since early July, which means they have macOS Ventura. For some reason, those Macs don't have the ability to upgrade to macOS Sonoma, which should be addressed by the new update.

macOS Sonoma 14.1.1 build 23B81 is for any Mac already compatible with macOS Sonoma pre-M3, which contains bug fixes and security updates. The macOS Sonoma build 23B2082 is directed at Macs with M3 series chipsets.

Users who want to manually update their Mac instead of waiting for an automatic update can do so by clicking the Apple icon in the main menu, selecting System Settings, clicking on General, then Software Update, and lastly the update itself.

By the nature of updates, it is usually advised to ensure there are sufficient backups available before proceeding.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    My Mac doesn't see the update, but my iPhone is updating to 17.1.1... Odd.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Our MacBook Air M2 (2022) doesn't see the 13.6.2 update either, only 14.1.1.
    This does indeed feel odd, particularly since Apple says that 13.6.2 is "recommended for all users" and since 13.6.2 is listed as having (unspecified) security fixes.

• Reply 3 of 5
    timmmy said:
    Our MacBook Air M2 (2022) doesn't see the 13.6.2 update either, only 14.1.1.
    This does indeed feel odd, particularly since Apple says that 13.6.2 is "recommended for all users" and since 13.6.2 is listed as having (unspecified) security fixes.

Same with my M2 MB Air 13".  In another forum someone said that 13.6.2 is only for MB Pros, not Airs.  But I can't find anywhere on apple.com that says that. 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    A problem developed a few weeks ago where I was constantly getting this pop-up error message:  

It was driving me crazy and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.   Tried a different account, deleted all the startup files, etc.  Someone posted on an Apple site a 12 step process to get rid of it, but nothing worked.  .   Tried all kinds of things to fix it, including some that screwed up my installation that forced me to reload some apps, etc.
    I was also having a problem with Safari on Facebook where after using it for a while, text would appear outside where it was supposed to and then I couldn't post.  I've been using Chrome instead just for that site.

14.1.1 fixed both those problems, even though from what I saw, Apple claims it's just a security update.   

Having said that, if the above error message was generated by MacOS, it was useless and more typical of Microsoft than Apple (at least in the past).   The message should have indentified which app or OS was causing the problem.    And it also should have displayed which server it was trying to connect to.   

• Reply 5 of 5
    Only updated once to Sonoma 14.2 but then no more update to Sonoma 14.2.1.  When I turn on Beta Updates, there's a Sonoma 14.3 / 14.3 Beta.  How can I enforce update to Sonoma 14.2.1?