Volvo to focus on value adds outside the infotainment system, will leave CarPlay alone

Posted:
in General Discussion

The Volvo CEO says Apple CarPlay is a value to customers, and its vehicles should focus on making the overall driving experience better, not on revenue generated from infotainment clusters.

The future of CarPlay
The future of CarPlay

There's a trend among some vehicle manufacturers that is taking choice away from customers. Companies like GM and Tesla want users to have integrated experiences with the infotainment system, treating the vehicles almost like smartphones.

In an interview on The Verge's Decoder podcast, The Volvo CEO Jim Rowan spoke about the industry's shift to micro-transactions and monetization. He detailed how Volvo sees itself adapting different services to enhance the driving experience rather than ripping customer choice away.

Nilay Patel and Jim Rowan discuss the car industry, shifting to electric, charging networks, and more. However, we will focus on the portion about CarPlay and infotainment.

"You can either say, 'I'm going to provide a car that makes that a pleasurable, easy interface experience for you' or you're going to have a different operating system in the car than you have in your phone, and the phone is in people's hands much more often than they sit in the car," Rowan said about Volvo providing access to CarPlay and Android Auto. "The big difference is that you've got to be able to offer benefits through the application layer on the Android that's external to the car."

There was some confusion during the interview about Android in the vehicle versus Volvo OS. Simply put, customers can use a basic Android-run Volvo infotainment system, Android Auto, or CarPlay -- similar to many modern infotainment systems.

CarPlay provides iPhone users easy access to their favorite apps
CarPlay provides iPhone users easy access to their favorite apps

That setup isn't going to change going forward. Instead, Volvo is going to focus on something called Volvo OS. A vehicle-wide operating system tuned to give customers more optionality and control through integrated services.

"While you're sitting in the car, that's fine, you're using Android Auto. You're listening to your music or whatever you're doing, fine," Rowan continues while explaining Volvo OS. "But what you really want the application layer to do with a smartphone is when you're not in the car, when I'm sharing my digital key with my friend because he wants to pick up my car from the stadium that I left there last night, or when I'm sharing my digital key with my kids, or when I'm offering insurance services to the customer."

The vehicle can provide users with services since new and upcoming Volvos have so many cameras and sensors. Providing insurance discounts due to safe driving is one, while another is having a tire-changing service for places that need snow tires.

"In Sweden, for example, you need to change your tires in the winter," Rowan explains, describing more of the Volvo OS concept. "I want to be sent a signal that says to me, 'Hey, listen, we're coming up on tire change season... Do you want us to come to your workplace, whip off the old tires, put on the winter tires, and take those summer tires away and store them for the next season?'"

Taking away CarPlay is taking away consumer choice
Taking away CarPlay is taking away consumer choice

Such a service goes beyond just serving the driver ads in a center console. It adds value to the vehicle and makes Volvo owners feel more connected to the car.

Nilay Patel points out this is a different direction from that of other vehicle manufacturers. Many want to monetize the central console, especially once full self-driving becomes more common. Companies like Netflix might serve ads before playing a show in these driving movie theaters.

At least, for now, the Volvo CEO doesn't see that as the path forward.

"I don't think it's a viable strategy," concludes Rowan. "I think we're going to stick to what we're really good at, and that is building really good, safe cars with fantastic connectivity experience for customers that allows them to enjoy the benefits, when we get to full AD, of whatever they want to do with that time that they've gained."

The full interview contains more detail about Volvo's future plans and technology implementations. We can only hope companies like Volvo can influence the car market, and not the other way around.

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    That's refreshing to hear from a car company.  Volvo just got added to my list of new cars to look at when I am ready.  I had driven GM muscle cars since I was a teenager up to a couple of years ago.  With GM's attitude, they are not on that list.
    ramanpfaffchasmzeus423ForumPostbadmonkwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Hopefully they're adding physical buttons back too. I test drove an XC40 a couple years ago while car shopping and had to quickly nix it from the list after trying to adjust the fan speed. The salesperson suggested I try voice control. Not likely. All touchscreen and voice control has been proven to be more distracting than physical knobs. 
    williamlondonappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Graeme000 said:
    Hopefully they're adding physical buttons back too. I test drove an XC40 a couple years ago while car shopping and had to quickly nix it from the list after trying to adjust the fan speed. The salesperson suggested I try voice control. Not likely. All touchscreen and voice control has been proven to be more distracting than physical knobs. 
    Highly unlikely. See: Volvo EX30.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Graeme000 said:
    Any need to look down at the console to either touch a screen, push a button, or turn a knob is distracting. I rarely use voice control at home, but couldn't live without it on the road now that it's gotten much better. Between that and steering wheel controls, I never need to look down at the console.

The only reason I didn't get a Volvo back when I was buying my car was that, in North America, they'd eliminated the V series from the lineup in favour of the XC. Assuming that everyone in North America wants "big, rugged" cars. Personally, I much prefer a nice sleek sport wagon which doesn't have an extra hundred pounds of "ruggedized" body parts and big tires which cause more fuel consumption. So I went with a VW sport wagon instead. Glad to see the V series back in the lineup now, and I like Volvo's attitude towards custom infotainment systems, so I'll certainly look at them next time around.

edited November 2023 badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Hiding behind a Swedish fig leaf is a 100% People’s Republic car. Hard pass for me. 
    edited November 2023 NotSoMuchJanNLwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 32
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    auxio said:
    Graeme000 said:
    Any need to look down at the console to either touch a screen, push a button, or turn a knob is distracting. I rarely use voice control at home, but couldn't live without it on the road now that it's gotten much better. Between that and steering wheel controls, I never need to look down at the console.

The only reason I didn't get a Volvo back when I was buying my car was that, in North America, they'd eliminated the V series from the lineup in favour of the XC. Assuming that everyone in North America wants "big, rugged" cars. Personally, I much prefer a nice sleek sport wagon which doesn't have an extra hundred pounds of "ruggedized" body parts and big tires which cause more fuel consumption. So I went with a VW sport wagon instead. Glad to see the V series back in the lineup now, and I like Volvo's attitude towards custom infotainment systems, so I'll certainly look at them next time around.

Yes looking down at the console is bad.  But the right physical buttons don’t require you to look down. I can manipulate my Audi through muscle memory.  I don’t talk to my car.  Requiring me to control it through voice is a deal breaker.  

I don’t think the V series ever went away.  We had the last of the prior V60s (2017 MY) that had a terrible console with way too many buttons but it was replaced with the Thor’s Hammer series V60 (and also a V90).  And that is still in the line up I think.  I see it on their web site (but only in the Cross Country or PHEV trim).  I’d live one in PHEV trim pending a test drive to make sure the interior is not stupid with too few controls.  However , unfortunately I’m not kn the market :(.   (Our 2017 was totaled by an idiot driver in 2019 so our Volvo experiment didn’t last that long but it was enjoyable apart from the atrocious interface at the center console).  
    Graeme000watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    My current Honda forces me to manually alternate, every day, between my Carplay ecosystem and my Honda ecosystem. That's a hard fail. I don't want that. Unless I'm reading it wrong, Volvo wants to support CarPlay/Android but have a separate "Volvo OS" ecosystem for users. I would never use it. I want one ecosystem. Two is too many. And there's only one ecosystem that I currently trust. If Volvo wants my money, they should create a Volvo app inside the CarPlay ecosystem. Then I would consider them.

Manufacturers think that they can create an ecosystem so that they remain the "interface" between the user and the car. They don't want people to "think Apple" when using their own cars, because that diminishes their brand value. The problem is, creating an ecosystem that people like (and trust) is a huge undertaking. The world is littered with failed ecosystems, and I doubt they can succeed where so many have failed. In the meantime, since most car manufacturers make some good/reliable cars nowadays, my main criteria for my next car will be how well it implements CarPlay. And if Apple builds a car, I know the CarPlay integration will be excellent.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Amen, Volvo!

nice to see some common sense remaining in some parts of the world. 
    ramanpfaffzeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Still hate my Tesla lack of CarPlay. As soon as an affordable (under 50k) can match the Tesla 3 range and has CarPlay I'm buying. Still looking for a good iPhone holder for my 3 since I can't stand the miserable Tesla navigation. Ugh. I truly hate it. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Our XC60 T8 has AAOS.  Overall it works great, and CarPlay is always available.  Apple Maps will even appear in the driver’s display, but not in the HUD.  Manufacturers like GM who are adopting AAOS and not including CarPlay are making a bad decision.  
    ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Still hate my Tesla lack of CarPlay. As soon as an affordable (under 50k) can match the Tesla 3 range and has CarPlay I'm buying. Still looking for a good iPhone holder for my 3 since I can't stand the miserable Tesla navigation. Ugh. I truly hate it. 
    Agreed. I am solely disappointed Tesla omits AppleCar play. They may view their system better but some people like AppleCar play. I suspect the issue is because the majority of the car is reliant on their OS and to integrate car play, it may mean switching apps constantly to control the car.

However, as with BMW (who were charging an extra fee for CarPlay), I am currently holding off for now because of it.

I am pleased Volvo will included it. I don't want android watching my every move.

ramanpfaffwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    Hiding behind a Swedish fig leaf is a 100% People’s Republic car. Hard pass for me. 
    Boy do I have terrible news for you about the clothes you’re wearing, the TV you watch, the computer you use, the smartphone in your pocket, the TV-connected game system you use, etc.

You’d better sit down.
    edited November 2023 zeus423muthuk_vanalingamForumPostbadmonkdavdanoxwilliamlondongrandact73watto_cobrasedicivalvole
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Who the hell chooses a vehicle based on the infotainment system?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    No CarPlay = No Sale
    davrhbellmordanoxwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 32
    chasm said:
    Boy do I have terrible news for you about the clothes you’re wearing, the TV you watch, the computer you use, the smartphone in your pocket,

You’d better sit down.
    FYI - There are hundreds of American companies that make their own clothing in America. There are three companies in the USA that make TVs. There are ten companies in America that assemble computers. And look below where this iPhone model is made (in a country that is a democracy.)

And even if an Apple product is assembled in mainland China, usually the company that Apple is subcontracting to manufacture its products is based in Taiwan. If you don't know, Taiwan scores much higher on the democracy charts than the USA scores.
    robin huberwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    FYI - There are hundreds of American companies that make their own clothing in America. There are three companies in the USA that make TVs. There are ten companies in America that assemble computers. And look below where this iPhone model is made (in a country that is a democracy.)
    idk dude. That's a lot of sidestepping to rationalize buying a product that's sourced mostly from China. You're not going to avoid the country, so it's best not to try or else risk losing your mind. Like, even if the companies that make TVs in America are local, it is almost guaranteed the parts and chips come from outside the US, most of which are sourced from China.

You're fighting a losing battle here. "American Made" is one of the biggest lies of the 21st century. Like, you're going to have a hard time finding a single consumer product that doesn't have one piece of its development sourced from China at some point, be it labor, materials, machinery used in the assembly line, etc.

Even if an iPhone says made in Taiwan or made in India, most of its parts and origin is China. It's just the reality we've created by outsourcing everything.
    Who the hell chooses a vehicle based on the infotainment system?
    It's actually one of the most popular decision points for most consumers shopping for cars. I'm one of them. No CarPlay, no purchase.
    muthuk_vanalingamdavauxiodanoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerStrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 32
    You're fighting a losing battle here. "American Made" is one of the biggest lies of the 21st century. Like, you're going to have a hard time finding a single consumer product that doesn't have one piece of its development sourced from China at some point, be it labor, materials, machinery used in the assembly line, etc. 
    Who says I need to buy something that's 100% made in democracies? All I have to do to put pressure on communism is to buy products that have more parts made in democracies than the average product. Mission accomplished. Half the time I spend in Walmart is spent looking at labels trying to make sure I buy products from democracies.
    edited November 2023
  • Reply 18 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    My current Honda forces me to manually alternate, every day, between my Carplay ecosystem and my Honda ecosystem. That's a hard fail. I don't want that. Unless I'm reading it wrong, Volvo wants to support CarPlay/Android but have a separate "Volvo OS" ecosystem for users. I would never use it. I want one ecosystem. Two is too many. And there's only one ecosystem that I currently trust. If Volvo wants my money, they should create a Volvo app inside the CarPlay ecosystem. Then I would consider them.

Manufacturers think that they can create an ecosystem so that they remain the "interface" between the user and the car. They don't want people to "think Apple" when using their own cars, because that diminishes their brand value. The problem is, creating an ecosystem that people like (and trust) is a huge undertaking. The world is littered with failed ecosystems, and I doubt they can succeed where so many have failed. In the meantime, since most car manufacturers make some good/reliable cars nowadays, my main criteria for my next car will be how well it implements CarPlay. And if Apple builds a car, I know the CarPlay integration will be excellent.
    You seem to want to have your cake and eat it. 

There are some very good reasons why carmakers are reluctant to see Apple hook deep into their products and they are often the same reasons Apple uses to do the same with other companies. 

As we move away from ICEs and into 'digital' cars with digital interfaces for users, they will become basically batteries on wheels. 

Car manufacturers are well aware of the dangers of relying on outside influence and logically want to do their own thing. 

You can vote with your wallet but if no one decides to run with Apple everything you want might be moot. At least until Apple maybe decides to release its own car and if they do, will the price make it worth it? 

You can stick with CarPlay but it isn't really anywhere near competing products in terms of the access it has to the car. 

Some manufacturers might decide to run with Apple if they have no way to create their own 'interfaces' to users. It is definitely an option, and is being employed successfully as I write, on many cars. A big difference though is that the providers are offering an entire platform of options that can go far beyond the software infotainment side (ICT, mini-datacenters, LiDAR, cameras, powertrains, charging technology, console units, AR-HUD...). 

Carmakers can pick and choose exactly what level of integration those third parties get. 

Apple is unlikely to offer that kind of flexibility.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 32

There is no way that any car manufacturer is ever going to ship a car that requires their customers to have an iPhone to use the entertainment system.  Two ecosystems is obviously the only way they're ever going to go, with the in-built system mandatory as a fallback.

That's not to say that manufacturers don't have a way to go to make the transition between the fallback and the user's choice easier.
    FileMakerFeller13485
  • Reply 20 of 32
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    I think all car company should drop R&D for dash board design.
    Specially infotainment console design is just outdated. They don't know how to make it better and sometimes make it worse.

auxiorobin huberwatto_cobra