A Very Happy Easter To You

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is a time of year that always brings reflection for me. More so than Christmas or any other religious or cultural holiday, Easter is the big one for me. While I often debate about our lack of understanding of how the universe (and by extension how *we*) came to be, about the lack of logic and/or cohesion in religious teachings and dogma, Easter is one where you have to lay down your cards if you call yourself "Christian".

You can argue the world wasn't made in 7 days, that the Red Sea didn't split the way they said it did, and 1000 other details quoted in the Bible. But if you're Christian, you believe a man named Jesus was wrongly persecuted, put to death, and then overcame death - all without trying to escape his fate - in order that we might learn the real meaning of our existence. Or at least, that's my ever-moderate way of interpretting it. I could be as wrong of course, but this is how I look at it.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you guys and wish you all a very peaceful and enjoyable holiday -- hopefully spent with family or other loved ones. Ever since I lost my brother a few years back, all holidays have taken on a double-meaning for me as well, and that is that it's never a bad thing (no matter what you believe) to take a few days each year and be thankful for our families. We don't know how long we each have, but we often forget to make the best of that time with each other.

Have a good day, all of you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Choco-Peanut Butter madness downstairs.

• Reply 2 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I am not speaking in jest when I say I think Jesus would have liked chocolate-peanut butter Easter eggs. Of course, that would lead to discussion of the Easter Bunny which I'm quite sure he wouldn't relate to very well. I know I wouldn't if I were in Jesus' position.

• Reply 3 of 21
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Choco-Peanut Butter madness downstairs.

Chocolate Joghurt mess on my table...
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Peeps!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I didn't get a basket this year.

Of course, I am 34 so I guess I really wasn't expecting one.

But I love jellybeans! No chocolate or Peeps, though. Ugh!

But I'd love to swim in a pool of jellybeans.

Uh, anyway...Happy Easter! Gobble gobble!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Oh man..

Jelly Belly jellybeans...

I remember what the fuss was about...

Juicy Pear, Watermelon, Blueberry...

heaven!
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I need to get into the go-go mobile and go buy a huge bag of them. As much as I dig the "good" kind (the tiny gourmet ones that actually taste like what they're supposed to), sometimes those cheap, larger ones hit the spot too!

I think I will zip down to the Wal-Greens down the road and grab a bag...if they're not all sold out.

• Reply 8 of 21
    A good friend of mine works at the Jelly Belly factory here; usually passes along some free samples when we visit him and his wife. The best are the huge bags of "Jelly Flops" - only costs like $5 and the only difference is the shape of bean. Some are fused, others too big or small -- but almost all of them taste damn good.

Scates what's this about you not liking peanut butter and chocolate? Does this mean you like Dr. Pepper but not Reeses? You are truly a mystery wrapped in an enigma! Seek couselling I say!

• Reply 9 of 21
    pscates:
  • Reply 10 of 21
    No, I LOVE peanut butter. It's chocolate and Peeps I don't dig. Actually, I like chocolate in small amounts, mixed with other stuff (like, for instance Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Mounds, etc.), just not solid chocolate through-and-through, a la Hersheys or those little round things that are solid chocolate.

Ugh! Too much.

So yeah, I do love the occasional Reeses Peanut Butter Cup with an ice cold Dr. Pepper.

But Peeps? No how, no way! SO rich and gooey!

AND, they look like cute little chickens. How in the hell am I supposed to bite the heads off of those and feel good about myself?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    Yeah, I'm not too impressed with Peeps either. I did get some in my basket this year, but it was for scientific purposes. My family put a Peep in the microwave to see what would happen. It was a party, you should all try it. Sort of like putting one in a vacuum tube.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Party at Nebulous' house!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I'll be right there-
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I gotta try that one.

My SO gets like three boxes of peeps every Easter, but I can't stand em. They taste like ... cough syrup or something. Nasty! BTW, Scates you are hereby absolved of any charges of lunacy brought against you with regards to chocolate and peanut butter. I think the explanation for what you are experiencing is called "getting old."

I used to be the king of eating junk food. When I was a kid you couldn't throw enough chocolate covered sugar-bombs at me. I'd eat entire chocolate santas / easter bunnies (not the little kind) in one sitting. Now I basically don't eat any. Much prefer a good oatmeal-chocolate chip cookie or something.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

AND, they look like cute little chickens. How in the hell am I supposed to bite the heads off of those and feel good about myself?

Well do you eat real chickens and not feel bad about it?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I didn't get a basket this year.

Of course, I am 34 so I guess I really wasn't expecting one.

But I love jellybeans! No chocolate or Peeps, though. Ugh!

But I'd love to swim in a pool of jellybeans.

Uh, anyway...Happy Easter! Gobble gobble!

Tangerine are the best!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

This is a time of year that always brings reflection for me. More so than Christmas or any other religious or cultural holiday, Easter is the big one for me. While I often debate about our lack of understanding of how the universe (and by extension how *we*) came to be, about the lack of logic and/or cohesion in religious teachings and dogma, Easter is one where you have to lay down your cards if you call yourself "Christian".

You can argue the world wasn't made in 7 days, that the Red Sea didn't split the way they said it did, and 1000 other details quoted in the Bible. But if you're Christian, you believe a man named Jesus was wrongly persecuted, put to death, and then overcame death - all without trying to escape his fate - in order that we might learn the real meaning of our existence. Or at least, that's my ever-moderate way of interpretting it. I could be as wrong of course, but this is how I look at it.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you guys and wish you all a very peaceful and enjoyable holiday -- hopefully spent with family or other loved ones. Ever since I lost my brother a few years back, all holidays have taken on a double-meaning for me as well, and that is that it's never a bad thing (no matter what you believe) to take a few days each year and be thankful for our families. We don't know how long we each have, but we often forget to make the best of that time with each other.

Have a good day, all of you.

Hello Moogs, I really am happy to see this beautiful post. I had a wonderful Easter! I know many here went to the candy aspect of Easter almost without pause but I could not let your opening post get past me. I am touched that you have such consideration over this weekend and I share your feelings about friends and family and time we have left.

I was able to visit and go to service at Fellowship Church with my mother. Later our neighbors who the husband lost his job had invited me and my sister and family to their home for an easter dinner. It is so humbling to have neighbors invite you into their home and provide such a delightful dinner. I really think people and relationships are so tremendous! Not a day goes by in my life where I am not humbled with love and a sense of time being precious.

Thank you for your post and I wish you and yours a wonderful Easter time.

God Bless you,

Fellowship
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Well do you eat real chickens and not feel bad about it?

No, because they don't have cute little eyes and round heads looking up at me like Peeps do. It's just a wing or a breast or drumstick. Nothing too "chicken-esque" about my KFC meal in any sort of cute, recognizable way.

If Peeps were headless and brown and spiced just right, I'd eat them with wild, reckless abandon.

• Reply 19 of 21
    Thanks Fellowship.

In general, I hope you guys had as good a day / evening as I did.

My SO and I ended up having dinner at my Aunt and Uncle's, along with some of their children and grandchildren -- and my sister and her family as well, and my Dad. It was like old times... we used to go over there for summer BBQs at least once a year (where there would be like 30 people there), but it was always a good time because even the extended families grew up together / are close-knit.

There was a lot of laughter which is always my definition of a good time. Plus the "ordervs" (that's one French word I can never spell right) were, shall I say - outstanding. I ate a full meal before I got anywhere near the dinner table. I even got a game or two of old-fashioned knock-hockey in before leaving. My opponent won, but left with a puffy eye from a flying wrist shot that deflected off her stick blade and bonked her in the head. It was classic.

• Reply 20 of 21
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Thanks Fellowship.

Plus the "ordervs" (that's one French word I can never spell right) were, shall I say - outstanding

The correct spelling is Hors d'oeuvres (in fact the o and the e are interleaved), it means the food served in the beginning of a meal.