Apple UK launches Wallet's Connected Cards feature

Posted:
in General Discussion

Previously in a limited beta test, Apple's Connected Cards is now available in the UK, letting users there see their bank and card balances directly in Apple Wallet.

UK users can now link certain bank accounts to Apple Wallet
UK users can now link certain bank accounts to Apple Wallet
Originally included

in a beta of iOS 17 in the UK, Connected Cards uses the country's Open Banking API to bring financial data directly into Wallet. The trial included Barclays, Lloyds, and HSBC banks in UK, and in each case offers the same functionality.

Users can nominate one or more cards that are associated to specific accounts with UK banks. Once verified, just opening the Wallet app will show current balances on all connected accounts.

In practice, the Open Banking API proves to be a little slow, such that it takes several moments for the latest details to be updated. But it also includes a list of latest transactions on the card, so it's a useful option for UK users.

Since the beta trial started, there have been signs that the same or a similar system may come to the US, though. Apple has not announced this, but there are references to a US version in the legal text for the UK one, and on Apple's website.

The US does not at present have an equivalent to the UK's Open Banking API, however. The US Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is, though, working to introduce new banking rules that might facilitiate it.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

Previously in a limited beta test, Apple's Connected Cards is now available in the UK, letting users there see their bank and card balances directly in Apple Wallet.

I connected my Barclays card briefly, but I don't see there being much point to this.  The Wallet app is no easier to open than banking apps, and the information you can get out of it is limited.  Maybe it's just a baby step and bigger things are to come in terms of financial management within Wallet.pp, and I suppose it'll be more useful when more banks allow it and you can see everything in one place, but it doesn't have much utility right now.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I wish it popped up a balance on the card displayed as I was about to tap-and-pay.

Instead it only shows the balance in the wallet app itself. As a previous commenter says, not much point given you can already get straight into your banking app and see all this within a few seconds.
    ForumPostwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 3 of 5
    The main use case for this seems to be when making an Apple Pay payment in-app or through Safari it shows the current balance of the account or card (and it refreshes the balance upon the Apple Pay interface opening). This is useful when making a purchase as it reminds you of your current balance so you're less likely to overspend. Sure you can open your bank/card app, but I expect most people don't do that before every online purchase. I'd say it's quite handy actually.

With Nanoakron's point regarding tap-and-pay, this likely wasn't implemented so your bank balance isn't shown to the retailer in the shop. Perhaps the notifications from Wallet for Apple Pay transactions could get a "Your balance is now X" tacked to the end of it. Monzo used to do this when they were a prepay debit card rather than a proper bank account since it would prompt you to top up the account, but not any more.

It does seem like early days for whatever this feature will grow to be, but it's worth mentioning that non-Apple Pay transactions and transfers appear in Wallet after you've connected, not just the balances, and for the past few years too. As someone who has developed something that uses the UK Open Banking APIs in the past, I know that the initial connection gives the app a full history of transactions up to the individual bank's limitations (usually a few years) and then any further requests are only of the past few months (or less if specified). So depending on your bank you may have a varying number of years of transaction history.
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Honkers said:

I connected my Barclays card briefly, but I don't see there being much point to this.  The Wallet app is no easier to open than banking apps, and the information you can get out of it is limited.  Maybe it's just a baby step and bigger things are to come in terms of financial management within Wallet.pp, and I suppose it'll be more useful when more banks allow it and you can see everything in one place, but it doesn't have much utility right now.
    I found it is quicker checking the balance in wallet rather than the app because of the log in process of the First Direct app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ForumPost said:
    Honkers said:

I found it is quicker checking the balance in wallet rather than the app because of the log in process of the First Direct app. 
    Maybe.  Though navigating through Wallet to the correct card may well take up just as much time as passing a Face Id check for me.

YMMV.