Apple to sue Motorola? :)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

For years the rumors have gone around that Motorola slowed the G4 development as payback for Steve cancelling the clones. I find it hard to believe that Motorola would give up hundreds of millions in revenue just for spite. On the other hand, I have heard stories supporting this that supposedly came from friends of relatives of the Motorola founders.

I've heard rumors about this also. There was also the story making the rounds of how Moto dumped *all* of their Macs not too long afterward in favour of Windows PC's. FWIW, MOSR posted some tidbits years and years ago about this...including, if I remember correctly, an email from a genuine engineer? who remarked about just angry Motorola was at Apple over the cloning debacle.

Quote:

Only the true insiders really know. If Moto was guilty then one can only say - payback's a bitch.

Looking back, if Moto really did screw up the G4 and G5 in retaliation over Apple cancelling cloning, it'd be only fitting, since Motorola's last Mac clone, the CHRP StarMax 6000, practically wiped the floor with every Mac that was available at the time...even Apple and Exponential's "miraculous" x704-based 466 Mhz 9600 didn't stand a chance vs. the 266 Mhz StarMax 6000. I don't think even the Beige G3's matched up until much later.

Apple killing what would have been Motorola's most powerful Macintosh, the SM 6000...followed up with Motorola killing what would have been Apple's most powerful Macintosh, the G5...poetic justice? \
  • Reply 22 of 54
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Would it have been possible for IBM to take over the G5 project and finish it? (I thought the AIM alliance allowed for this?)
  • Reply 23 of 54
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Amorph.

That is supremely evil.

and I LOVE it.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    It is unfortunate that Jobs had to cancel the clone licenses, but there was no other way to save Apple. Power Computing machines were already faster than Apple machines and the planned Motorola StarMax was threatening to do in Apple all together. If my memory is correct, the clones were always less expensive than Apple machines also. Apple simply could not survive as a strict software company with the tiny market share they held. But, business is business, and it is cut throat. Motorola only cared about selling more of their machines regardless of what it did to Apple and Apple did what was necessary to survive by canceling the Mac OS licenses. Still, it was a poor reason for the slow upgrades and the ultimate cancellation of the G5 project. Business being what it is, Jobs will extract something in the way of concessions from Motorola. The actual goal seems unsure at this time, but going into speculation mode, it would seem that Apple might try to take on processor design and development. At this point, Apple seems intent on bringing everything it can in house and taking matters into its own hands. It will be in Apple's own court whether the company succeeds or fails. They would no longer be dependent on either Motorola or IBM. Suing Motorola as a means to gain ownership of their PowerPC division would be a means for doing it on the cheap. Unfortunately for Motorola, it might mean the end of new designs for their embedded processors. Such is business. They don't operate on a charitable basis and Motorola's problems are deeper than their inability or lack of motivation to keep the PowerPC current. And yes, I do believe that Motorola had a grudge against Apple for eliminating the clone licenses. Though I did have a couple of relatives who once worked for the company, none do now. They saw the writing on the wall a while ago and bailed. In fact, they lived through Motorola's transition from Mac OS to Win NT in response to the elimination of the clones. All I can say is that Apple is now healthy and viable. Had Apple continued the clone licenses, they would be dead and the software team would in all likelihood be a division of Motorola. Motorola would have mismanaged the Mac OS like everything else they have and our favored system would cease to exist. At the time, I thought Jobs was a madman. Now, I marvel at the clarity and insight of his decision. I just don't see Motorola developing OS X into what it is. Forget it when it comes to the iPod, iMovie, iTunes, etc. Perhaps Apple can gain ownership of Motorola's PowerPC licenses and development team. At least then Apple can only blame themselves if they should fail.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Send in the Criton! THE CRITON!!!

View at your own risk...may contain material not suitable for young people, and sane people.

WTF was that?
  • Reply 26 of 54
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rampancy

I've heard rumors about this also. There was also the story making the rounds of how Moto dumped *all* of their Macs not too long afterward in favour of Windows PC's. FWIW, MOSR posted some tidbits years and years ago about this...including, if I remember correctly, an email from a genuine engineer? who remarked about just angry Motorola was at Apple over the cloning debacle.

This seems to be a different version of history than I remember. At the time that Motorola made its major switch to Windows NT, it was still a major clone vendor. The big controversy that I remember was those within and without Motorola who could not understand why the company would favor a competitor's products over its own.

Quote:

Looking back, if Moto really did screw up the G4 and G5 in retaliation over Apple cancelling cloning, it'd be only fitting, since Motorola's last Mac clone, the CHRP StarMax 6000, practically wiped the floor with every Mac that was available at the time...even Apple and Exponential's "miraculous" x704-based 466 Mhz 9600 didn't stand a chance vs. the 266 Mhz StarMax 6000. I don't think even the Beige G3's matched up until much later.

Apple killing what would have been Motorola's most powerful Macintosh, the SM 6000...followed up with Motorola killing what would have been Apple's most powerful Macintosh, the G5...poetic justice? \

This is pure fantasy on your part. The StarMax 6000 debuted with a 200 MHz 604e, as you can easily learn by researching this web site. The fastest StarMax 6000 used the PowerPC 750 processor, the same processor used in the Apple PowerMacintosh G3 (beige). You can find its specifications at this web site.

You make it sound as though Apple produced an Exponential 704-based PowerMac. There was never such a product, which is why Exponential sued Apple. Apple abandoned its flirtation with Exponential when the G3 turned out so fast. To the best of my knowledge, the 704 was never really more than vaporware.

It is permissible to spread false rumors. Afterall, that's why they call them rumors. No matter how off-base you may be, you are entitled to your own opinions. However, you are not entitled to your own facts.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You make it sound as though Apple produced an Exponential 704-based PowerMac. There was never such a product, which is why Exponential sued Apple. To the best of my knowledge, the 704 was never really more than vaporware.

The machines I mentioned were prototype units that weren't released (I should have mentioned that, actually). And the results I mentioned were from a Macworld Lab benchmark test. (I have to admit, I am a little fuzzy on the planned debut Mhz of the 6000's, but I do remember reading that the machine that was tested was a prototype 266 Mhz G3.)
  • Reply 28 of 54
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    There is no way Motorola intentionally sandbagged development on the G4. It won processor of the year awards for crying out loud. What appears to have happened is Motorola decided, for better or worse, that it was not in their best interest to develop a cpu designed for desktops intended for 3% market share.

I have no real complaints against Motorola, other than it seems they did not take a chance on Apple and invest in potential future increases in market share. But, really, how can any one blame them. They took the conservative approach and kept with their sure market - the embedded market.

If the 970 ends up in Apple computers and in subsequent years Apple's market share increases significantly I would expect Motorola to consider development of a cpu intended for desktops, we'll see.

• Reply 29 of 54
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

The version of that tale I read (not at MOSR ) is that Motorola brought in a new CIO who swept off all the Macs in favor of Windows "to make his mark on the company." Since this is exactly the blend of conformism and arrogance that I expect from CIOs, I wouldn't be surprised if that was what actually happened. There was definitely some yelping from engineers when that happened, and a certain amount of sniggering that Motorola wouldn't use their own product.

Yeah, Mot lost $100M or so on the clones. If Apple hadn't killed them, they'd probably have lost more, because the StarMax was never profitable. In fact, in retrospect, just about every player in the Apple Clone Saga looks pretty stupid, including Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    This happens all the time in business.

There is usually a stipulation in the contract over the cancellation of a project. Usually, a dollar (euro, rubles, neighbor's wife, Gulfstream, etc.) amount is set if one or other other party can't meet it's obligations.

The only thing I see here is that the amount wasn't contractually set, or Moto is trying to renege. Apple is trying to recoup development cost in said-cancelled project.

They may also be trying to send a message to Moto (and IBM?), but that's only between Steve and his hairdresser.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

What appears to have happened is Motorola decided, for better or worse, that it was not in their best interest to develop a cpu designed for desktops intended for 3% market share.

I don't think Motorola stopped development because of Apple's 3% market share, Apple was one of Motorola's top 10 customers (might still be at the moment). And given the financial shape Motorola was in last year, why would they abandon a top 10 customer?

What I don't understand is that Apple supposedly had working G5 prototypes with 'shock and awe' processing power. If true, why didn't Apple offer Motorola some money to help work out the bugs given that the performance gap between Apple and Intel was getting wider every 3 months or so and especially after how hard it was for Motorola to get the G4 to higher frequencies. I also don't know why IBM couldn't have taken on the G5 design and worked out whatever bugs it had.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Top of the line CPUs used by Apple

601 March 1994 (replaced by 604 after 17 months)

604 August 1995 (replaced by G3 after 25 months)

G3 November 1997 (replaced by G4 after 21 months)

G4 August 1999 (still not replaced after 42 months)

(the 6800-020-030-040 time line is similar)

If the history held up we should be due for the "G6" replacing the "G5" that should had been out 2001.

Getting Money from Motorola is OK getting the G5 is plain stupid. A very good CPU for its time I am sure it less outdated than the G4 but it is still outdated and not up to the 970 that is on the beginning of its life span. And who would manufacture the G5 even if it was a good CPU?
  • Reply 33 of 54
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

What I don't understand is that Apple supposedly had working G5 prototypes with 'shock and awe' processing power. If true, why didn't Apple offer Motorola some money to help work out the bugs given that the performance gap between Apple and Intel was getting wider every 3 months or so and especially after how hard it was for Motorola to get the G4 to higher frequencies. I also don't know why IBM couldn't have taken on the G5 design and worked out whatever bugs it had.

If the few rumblings there are about the G5 are true, they were power-consuming monsters that had a habit of literally exploding in the test boxes. Perhaps Mot had reached the point where the main obstacle was their process tech (where if Apple were to help, the investment would have to be substantial) and IBM was close enough that Apple decided it was cheaper, easier and more certain to let Mot do as well as they could and they'd be able to use the G5 or the 970, as appropriate. Well, the 970 has suddenly become appropriate for everything. Heh.

As I pointed out, Apple might well use the leverage of the lawsuit to get the G5 from Mot, and work with someone else on getting it debugged and into production.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

If the few rumblings there are about the G5 are true, they were power-consuming monsters that had a habit of literally exploding in the test boxes. Perhaps Mot had reached the point where the main obstacle was their process tech (where if Apple were to help, the investment would have to be substantial) and IBM was close enough that Apple decided it was cheaper, easier and more certain to let Mot do as well as they could and they'd be able to use the G5 or the 970, as appropriate. Well, the 970 has suddenly become appropriate for everything. Heh.

I heard the "exploding" rumors too. Seems to me though, that Motorola could at least have added an intergrated memory controller to the G4 and maybe deepen the pipelines a little. How hard can it be to do this? In fact, they already have a mpc8xxx chip with an intergrated memory controller and rapidIO.

Good thing the 970 is almost ready to go. I couldn't imagine Apple holding on much longer if the 970 (or equivalent) was at least another year away. Seems to me this chip should really boost powermac sales, especially if 10.3 is much improved over 10.2.X
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:

And then??.there's Motorola, the company who's not even managed to demonstrate a G5 processor to the press, much less ship any. It?s a far cry from the days of yore two years ago when several prominent websites (including The Other Plaice) reported detailed G5 specifications and plans for the CPU to ship as soon as early 2002. As time went by and no Apple G5 appeared, most dismissed the rumors as just that?rumors?but if website OSCast is truly in the know, then Motorola may have recently been hit by a massive lawsuit from Apple alleging the company broke contract by ending development of the G5 processor without giving Cupertino sufficient notice. Perhaps this is how Steve Jobs intends to finance that Universal music buy-out?

It's not hard to see why Apple might've finally lost patience when their erstwhile partner and sued the daylights out of them, as this wouldn't be the first time a Motorola screw-up cost our favorite PC fruit company quite a bit of money. Motorola's never seemed to be able to scale its G4 designs well, with the 500 MHz era jam-up in 1999/2000 being particularly bad.

Even once that particular hurdle was fixed, however, the G4 architecture hasn't exactly been a speed demon. First introduced in 1999 at 500 MHz the current 2003 G4 models run at 1.42 GHz. That's a 284% increase in four years. AMD's K7 architecture (introduced in 1999 as well) has risen from 500 MHz at launch to a high of 2,242 MHz (using strictly MHz) today, for a percentage gain of 448%. If you use AMD's own model numbers, the CPU is a full 600% faster today than it was back in 1999. Intel's P4 has advanced by almost identical ratios.

If Apple can prove that Motorola's decision to halt G5 R&D was done improperly and that it was one in a long string of missed deadlines and bad promises, the company could be in a position to rake in the dough. A potential match-up between Apple and IBM or Apple and AMD makes a lot more sense than a continued Motorola/Apple pair anyway. Motorola's fabs have long been money sinks for the company and desktop CPU manufacture is simply not a major section of Motorola's business?and Apple doesn't command the market share to give them a reason to specialize in it more. It may not be much longer until we see Apple sporting new logos on their oh-so-chic website.

From the Inquirer.

Put like that? I'd sue...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 36 of 54
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The Inquirer is full of s***. They don't know jack about Apple.

At least Ryan Meader is a now largly ignored crack addict.

Barto
  • Reply 37 of 54
    spiffsterspiffster Posts: 327member
    On what grounds does Apple have to sue Moto? So far it looks like someone got bored and made up this rumor. Its jot like Moto did anything intentional to screw Apple over. Apple just put its eggs in the wrong basket.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    jdbon2jdbon2 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spiffster

On what grounds does Apple have to sue Moto? So far it looks like someone got bored and made up this rumor. Its jot like Moto did anything intentional to screw Apple over. Apple just put its eggs in the wrong basket.

I think Apple does have a case. They invested time and money developing hardware for the G5. They were not given the agreed upon time period notice that the Processor was being ditched, therefore Motorola was in breach of contract. Although Apple is pissed, the case is not about Motorola being lame, it is about Motorola breaking a contract, costing Apple money in development costs.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    Posted at MacBidouille (translated by Google):

Quote:

Since Motorola knows about the intentions of APPLE to attack it in justice, the manufacturer of microprocessors decided to counter-attack.

Here the list of the objections and justifications of Motorola:

1) By closing the door with the clones, APPLE deprived of essential sales

2) APPLE had an underperforming control while refusing to give licences of its operating system.

3) APPLE contributed to its failure while making function MAC OS only on PPC.

4) Motorola also reproaches them their attitude in the event of delay of delivery of the chips. They required the large ones lowers tariff under penalty of refusing the deliveries.

5) APPLE as fixed at Motorola of the unrealistic objectives them delivery periods of the chips. (Then one turns over to item 4)

Here also the new list of objections of APPLE:

1) Motorola worsened the crisis of the company to apple while not being able to provide chips exceeding the 500 MHz and by putting at the door half of the engineers working on G4. The 7450 was thus delayed one year.

2) Motorola engaged in anti-competitive practices by refusing the permission at IBM to sell chips 7400 faster than than it could manufacture. IBM managed to manufacture in volume of turning G4 with 800 MHz whereas Motorola reached a maximum to 500 MHz

3) Motorola still blocked IBM with Altivec. It refused that those can use it in their chips, whereas G3+ Altivec could be manufactured (NDL: It is thus G4). Motorola gave the green fau at IBM after the official abandonment of G5.

All this information is given such as without any interpretation nor judgement.

Note just that it is extremely interesting Ã*' to learn that IBM can manufacture of G4 very fast. They will be probably the new chips of entry of range of APPLE. It is indeed not very probable that Motorola continues to work with APPLE within sight of their divergences.

Sounds like this little tit-for-tat could get entertaining.

theFly

The Fly on the Mac

http://www.flyonthemac.com/

Rumors You Can Bet On!

(edited to add links)
  • Reply 40 of 54
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm putting MacBidouille on my French boycott list.