Apple's iOS 17.2 gives Qi2 charging all the way back to iPhone 13

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple's release candidate for iOS 17.2 adds a change to wireless charging, with the iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 supporting the Qi2 charger standard.

iPhone on a MagSafe charger
iPhone on a MagSafe charger

The issuing of release candidates for its operating systems means a full release of iOS 17.2 is due to happen soon. However, the release candidate also pointed out a change that wasn't previously picked up in earlier beta reports.

The release notes accompanying the release candidate lists all of the changes included as part of iOS 17.2, including one relating to wireless charging. Buried under the "improvements and bug fix" section, Apple says it adds Qi2 charger support for all iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 models.

Qi2 chargers have been released throughout 2023, with expectations that the Qi2 wireless charging spec will be approved by the Wireless Power Consortium before the end of the year.

Qi2 is an upgrade to Qi, the previous wireless charging standard used by modern smartphones. Qi2 adds in MagSafe to the Magnetic Power Profile and enhancements to the existing Extended Power Profile.

Though MagSafe is meant as an Apple-specific technology, the ring of magnets used in Qi2 is intended to be universal, and so will work with both iPhone and Android devices.

While Apple limits the original Qi to 7.5W with MagSafe running at up to 15W, Qi2 will work at 15W. However, MagSafe devices that don't support Qi2 will charge at Qi rates when used with a Qi2 charger.

Apple has already included Qi2 support in the iPhone 15 family. With the update, it's upgrading support for the iPhone 13 and iPhone 14. This allows the older smartphones to charge at the faster Qi2 rate when used with supportive chargers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I wonder what the differences are between the iPhone 12 and 13 models are that won't allow this to apply to iPhone 12 models.
    Hrebwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    Hopefully this will resolve the issue with charging in my 2021 VW Golf? It has never worked since the car was new - you get a message saying "Currently unable to charge the mobile device. Please remove all other items from the mobile phone tray." Needless to say there are no other items in the tray.

In addition when you pick up the phone it has changed to the Wallet and appears to be waiting for a payment to be made.

Because the car is yet to have its first service I have not asked whether there may be a software upgrade to one of the vast number of different electronic modules in modern cars (particularly the Mk 8 Golf, seemingly). But it may be that iOS 17.2 will finally address this issue?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jingo said:
    Hopefully this will resolve the issue with charging in my 2021 VW Golf? It has never worked since the car was new - you get a message saying "Currently unable to charge the mobile device. Please remove all other items from the mobile phone tray." Needless to say there are no other items in the tray.

In addition when you pick up the phone it has changed to the Wallet and appears to be waiting for a payment to be made.

Because the car is yet to have its first service I have not asked whether there may be a software upgrade to one of the vast number of different electronic modules in modern cars (particularly the Mk 8 Golf, seemingly). But it may be that iOS 17.2 will finally address this issue?
    RE: Picking up the phone and it being on wallet - my car does that as well. Ive got a 2021 MB and an iPhone 15 Pro - and if i set the phone in the cupholder near the wireless charging pad, it’ll automatically switch to wallet. Even when gently placing it in the cupholder and ensuring i press NO buttons, it switches. My best guess is that it’s something to do with the NFC chip on the phone believing the wireless charging pad is a payment terminal. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    602warren said:
    jingo said:

RE: Picking up the phone and it being on wallet - my car does that as well. Ive got a 2021 MB and an iPhone 15 Pro - and if i set the phone in the cupholder near the wireless charging pad, it’ll automatically switch to wallet. Even when gently placing it in the cupholder and ensuring i press NO buttons, it switches. My best guess is that it’s something to do with the NFC chip on the phone believing the wireless charging pad is a payment terminal. 
    Do you use a Digital key that is in the wallet? My Wallet app opens sometimes when I place it in the charger, but I do use the digital key sometimes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mike1 said:
    602warren said:
    jingo said:

Do you use a Digital key that is in the wallet? My Wallet app opens sometimes when I place it in the charger, but I do use the digital key sometimes.
    Nope. I don't have any digital keys in my wallet. Just credit cards, store loyalty cards (Chipotle, etc), my Drivers License (I'm in AZ) and upcoming event passes/tickets.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra