Original iPhone SE & second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro now vintage

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple has designated the 2016 iPhone SE and 2017 12.9-inch iPad Pro as vintage, which haven't been sold for at least five years.

Original iPhone SE
Original iPhone SE

Apple maintains a vintage and obsolete product list based on how long a product hasn't been available on the market. Vintage products may be eligible for service, while obsolete products are not.

The latest additions were first discovered and shared by MacRumors. New products on the vintage list include the 2016 iPhone SE, the 2017 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and the Mickey Beats Solo3 headphones.

New obsolete products include the Powerbeats 2 and Beats Solo2 Wireless headphones. Products on the obsolete list haven't been available for seven years or more.

Some regions like France have special requirements for products sold. Owners of iPhones or Macs purchased in 2021 or later can obtain service and parts from Apple or service providers for seven years after the date the product model was last supplied by Apple.

Obsolete products lose their ability to be serviced with one exception. MacBooks may be eligible for an extended battery-only repair period for up to 10 years from when the product was last distributed for sale.

The original iPhone SE was a popular product that promised the old design would last a few more years. Its departure into vintage territory alongside the second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro marks the end of that era.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    And yet no equivalent iPad Pro exists with a 12.9 inch liquid XDR retina glass screen… pretty dumb move on Apple’s part.  
    edited December 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 5
    And yet no equivalent iPad Pro exists with a 12.9 inch liquid XDR retina glass screen… pretty dumb move on Apple’s part.  
    Not sure I understand: there is such an iPad Pro : the current, 6th gen iPad Pro 12.9" has a liquid XDR retina display.
    The one now labeled vintage is the old 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9".
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Still rocking a 12.9' second-gen pro that was purchased new in summer 2017. Battery life is absolute cack but otherwise it's still a perfect YouTube player and web browser with the big screen and punchy speakers. I'm sad the software will stop updating soon, because otherwise I'd just get the battery serviced and keep it chugging along. I'll probably do that anyway, who am I kidding?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    And the 2017 12.9” still gets the latest iPad OS
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    My iPP10.5 is seeing the end in sight here.
    watto_cobra