Apple may have a busy March with a rumored larger iPad Air, OLED iPad Pros, and new Macs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2023

The end of the winter may herald hardware refreshes for Apple, with a new report from the industry's most prolific leaker predicting the long-rumored larger iPad Air and refreshed MacBook Air models will hit store shelves by the end of March 2024.

iPad Pro
iPad Pro

To combat sales doldrums for Mac and iPad, Apple is rumored to be prepping many new releases before the first calendar quarter of 2024 ends. On tap are allegedly a larger iPad Air, new iPad Pros with OLED screens, and a New MacBook Air model, presumably with M3 processor.

New iPad Air with larger screen

On tap for March 2024 is said to be a 12.9-inch iPad Air, matching the size of the current largest iPad Pro. As previously reported, four models are said to be in the works. Two models are for the existing size, and two for the larger 12.9-inch size.

The larger iPad Air rumor isn't new and has been hinted at for over a year. It was once expected to debut in October 2023, but that obviously didn't pan out.

iPad Pro with OLED

Perhaps the most common iPad Pro rumor is the shift to OLED displays. The new models are expected to arrive at the same time as the 12.9-inch iPad Air. They are expected to finally get that OLED screen and the M3 processor that came in October.

No size changes are expected. As with the two iPad Air sizes, four models are also being prepared.

In early 2023, rumors were indicating that Apple intended to update the iPad Pro lineup with new display technology. A report in July said that the production of the 11-inch and 13-inch OLED iPads, which mark the first use of OLED technology in the Apple iPad series, will start in the first quarter of 2024.

A new Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard is rumored to arrive at the same time as well. The new Magic Keyboard is rumored to be aluminum-clad versus the existing material.

MacBook Air with M3

There isn't much said about the new MacBook Air in Wednesday's report by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. They are said to be codenamed J613 and J615 and come in the same design, with a boost from the M3 processor.

Later in 2024

The Apple Vision Pro is still on track for early 2024, but no date has yet been announced.

Touched on in Wednesday's report is a forthcoming Apple Watch with blood pressure sensing. Also rumored is a refresh to the iPad mini, a new low-end iPad, and non-Pro AirPods with USB-C charging.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    My two big hopes for the next iPad Pro, neither of which seems unreasonable: front camera positioned for landscape orientation, as seen on the most recent new iPad model, and rounded edges, as seen on the most recent iPhones.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 2 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    How they price the iPA13 will be interesting.

$600 iPA11 64GB M2 LCD
    $800 iPA13 64GB M2 LCD
    $900 iPP11 128GB M3 OLED
    $1200 iPP13 128GB M3 OLED

The OLED has to be adding at least $100 to the prior iPP price tiers. Then there is the juxtasposition of the MBA13 w/M3 for $1100 and LCD. You could get an iPP with OLED for the same price as an MBA? Tough choice. If Apple enable unlimited multitasking, unlimited windows and Terminal.app on iPadOS, I could get by with an iPP13 as my work computer, but they aren't going to do that. So tough choice.

Then, the iPA models will surely be limited to 256GB or 512GB of storage. How many people upsell to the iPP models will determine how healthy the market of high end iPad users is. I think I'm all in on a 16GB RAM model, which probably means iPP13 1TB.

• Reply 3 of 11
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    tht said:

$600 iPA11 64GB M2 LCD
    $800 iPA13 64GB M2 LCD
    $900 iPP11 128GB M3 OLED

The OLED has to be adding at least $100 to the prior iPP price tiers. Then there is the juxtasposition of the MBA13 w/M3 for $1100 and LCD. You could get an iPP with OLED for the same price as an MBA? Tough choice. If Apple enable unlimited multitasking, unlimited windows and Terminal.app on iPadOS, I could get by with an iPP13 as my work computer, but they aren't going to do that. So tough choice.

Then, the iPA models will surely be limited to 256GB or 512GB of storage. How many people upsell to the iPP models will determine how healthy the market of high end iPad users is. I think I'm all in on a 16GB RAM model, which probably means iPP13 1TB.

Apple is currently going thru a mini memory gate with their low end Pro MacBook laptop, 64gb and 128gb might not be enough storage space also the pricing might be a little low for M2 and M3 SOC's. Any one of them would be a great deal however, 5-7 years of use easy. I have a four year old iPad Pro 12.9 and it shows no signs of going anywhere for at least 3 more years.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    danox said:
    tht said:

$600 iPA11 64GB M2 LCD
    $800 iPA13 64GB M2 LCD
    $900 iPP11 128GB M3 OLED

Apple is currently going thru a mini memory gate with their low end Pro MacBook laptop, 64gb and 128gb might not be enough storage space also the pricing might be a little low for M2 and M3 SOC's. Any one of them would be a great deal however, 5-7 years of use easy. I have a four year old iPad Pro 12.9 and it shows no signs of going anywhere for at least 3 more years.
    There's rationale to double the base storage tiers to 128GB for the iPA and 256 GB for iPP especially if Apple opens the spigot on Stage Manager and side loading. The regular iPad probably sticks to the 64 and 256 GB storage options.

Was hard for me to include 256 for the iPP because OLEDs are going to be expensive! An iPA13 M2 8GB 128GB at $800 is cheap! Apple doesn't do cheap. The MBA13 with M1 8GB 256GB, basically a 4 year old machine next year, is still being sold at $1000. How would something like that drop to $800? Some question for the MBA13 M2? How does it drop to $800? Hence, that convinced me that iPA models will start out at 64 GB storage.

The big differences between the MBA13 and iPA13 are basically battery capacity, a capacitive touch layer, keyboard, hinge, and a touch pad. That's maybe a $100 to $200 difference. So, if the iPA13 has 128GB, I think that means $900 price point, not $800. I think a lot of users will be fine with 64GB because it will just be a web browser and streaming media machine to them.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Wasn’t Apple to clean up and simplify tjebipad lineup? No? Ah, pity. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Also, if there is going to be an iPad Air 13" model, you could think that the iPad mini brand goes away, and that product would simply be an iPad Air 8.7", whatever it is going to be.

$330 iPad Classic, please retire
    $400 iPad 10.9, 11th gen with A15
    $500 iPad Air 8.7" A16
    $600 iPad Air 11" M2
    $800 iPad Air 12.9" M2
    $900 iPad Pro 11 M3
    $1200 iPad Pro 12.3" M3
    $1500 iPad Pro 14.1" M3, sooner or later
  • Reply 7 of 11
    neilmneilm Posts: 988member
    The 12.9" size is pretty unwieldy for a handheld device. It may make some kind of sense for the Pro model due to its other capabilities, but I have a hard time seeing the attraction of a bigger screen Air. At that point I’m reaching for my laptop instead.
    williamlondondewme
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Once I slapped a Magic Keyboard on my 11” iPad Pro it has remained on there 98% of the time. Basically, I’ve lost touch with my iPad Pro.

In retrospect, I would probably have been just as happy (or more) with a reimagined 11” MacBook Air or 12” MacBook equipped with the latest fan-less variant of Apple Silicon. However, I still recognize that some people use an iPad Pro as a drawing tablet and wouldn’t be well served by something with a permanent keyboard attached and no touchscreen. The current iPad Pro with its separate Magic Keyboard serves many needs of just about anyone who’s content living with what iPadOS has to offer, which is quite substantial but still not functionally equivalent to what macOS delivers.

Could a MacBook Air convertible with touchscreen serve in the same role as iPad Pro w/Magic Keyboard? Probably. Would anyone buy it? Probably. Would Apple ever build it? Probably not, based on what Apple has shown us so far. In any case, I still find a smaller MacBook Air or MacBook equivalent being something that I would find intriguing. The way I actually use my iPP+MK is telling me so. In desktop use the iPP+MK is exceptionally comfortable to use. However, in chair or sofa mode, the iPP+MK is less than ideal.

I completely agree with the handling difficulties of the larger iPads. This is most noticeable using these devices in portrait orientation. When it comes to portrait oriented use the iPad mini is the easiest and things go down from there as screen size increases. Apple has made some improvements on the 12.9” size by reducing the size of the screen bezels, but it is still a beast of a tablet. The thought of iPad sizes getting even larger is kind of scary as far as handling is concerned. But if anyone can pull it off successfully, it will be Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    neilm said:
    The 12.9" size is pretty unwieldy for a handheld device. It may make some kind of sense for the Pro model due to its other capabilities, but I have a hard time seeing the attraction of a bigger screen Air. At that point I’m reaching for my laptop instead.
    The weight contributes to the unwieldiness more than the size imo. If the iPA13 is 1.2 to 1.3 lb, it will make it easier to handle. The iPA13 is analogous to the MBA15. Apple believes a large enough set of customers want a large screen iPad, but don't need all of the features of an iPad Pro.

We've been living with 8.5x11 inch paper and notebooks for a long time. That's 13.9" diagonal. A notebook with that paper size is obviously lighter, easier to handle than an iPP13. So, there is room for 14" tablet imo, but it needs to be more square and light. As long as Apple uses glass, metal and the current battery designs, tough to see it hitting 1.5 lb though. Perhaps Apple will present it as a more desktop device than mobile device.
  • Reply 10 of 11

dewme said:
    Once I slapped a Magic Keyboard on my 11” iPad Pro it has remained on there 98% of the time. Basically, I’ve lost touch with my iPad Pro.

In retrospect, I would probably have been just as happy (or more) with a reimagined 11” MacBook Air or 12” MacBook equipped with the latest fan-less variant of Apple Silicon. However, I still recognize that some people use an iPad Pro as a drawing tablet and wouldn’t be well served by something with a permanent keyboard attached and no touchscreen. The current iPad Pro with its separate Magic Keyboard serves many needs of just about anyone who’s content living with what iPadOS has to offer, which is quite substantial but still not functionally equivalent to what macOS delivers.

Could a MacBook Air convertible with touchscreen serve in the same role as iPad Pro w/Magic Keyboard? Probably. Would anyone buy it? Probably. Would Apple ever build it? Probably not, based on what Apple has shown us so far. In any case, I still find a smaller MacBook Air or MacBook equivalent being something that I would find intriguing. The way I actually use my iPP+MK is telling me so. In desktop use the iPP+MK is exceptionally comfortable to use. However, in chair or sofa mode, the iPP+MK is less than ideal.

I completely agree with the handling difficulties of the larger iPads. This is most noticeable using these devices in portrait orientation. When it comes to portrait oriented use the iPad mini is the easiest and things go down from there as screen size increases. Apple has made some improvements on the 12.9” size by reducing the size of the screen bezels, but it is still a beast of a tablet. The thought of iPad sizes getting even larger is kind of scary as far as handling is concerned. But if anyone can pull it off successfully, it will be Apple.
    Would you use a 2-in-1 macOS laptop in tablet mode? Where and doing what?

I'm curious how many 2-in-1 laptop owners actually use it as tablet. The size of 2-in-1 laptops have all grown to 13" displays or larger. I think that means they are just being used as clamshell laptops, even the detachables. The 2-in-1s are 2+ lb. The detachables w/o the keyboard are about 1.7 to 2 lb. If there was a lot of tablet usage, there would be a lot of models in the 10 to 12 inch range.

Part of the problem could just be Intel. There might be another push for detachables next year with Meteor Lake and Snapdragon Elite. Could be another reason for the rumored iPA12.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    tht said:

dewme said:

Would you use a 2-in-1 macOS laptop in tablet mode? Where and doing what?

I'm curious how many 2-in-1 laptop owners actually use it as tablet. The size of 2-in-1 laptops have all grown to 13" displays or larger. I think that means they are just being used as clamshell laptops, even the detachables. The 2-in-1s are 2+ lb. The detachables w/o the keyboard are about 1.7 to 2 lb. If there was a lot of tablet usage, there would be a lot of models in the 10 to 12 inch range.

Part of the problem could just be Intel. There might be another push for detachables next year with Meteor Lake and Snapdragon Elite. Could be another reason for the rumored iPA12.
    I’d be interested in an Apple 2-in-1 if it functioned as an iPad in tablet mode. But nearly every day I use my iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard exactly as I would use a MacBook Air running iPadOS. At the end of the day they cost nearly the same. So I’d also be cool with the 2-in-1 running iPadOS in keyboard mode. 

Yeah, I know it sounds like heresy to some to envision something that looks exactly like a MacBook or MacBook Air running- omg - iPadOS.

Of course it’s possible, but improbable, that iPadOS will ultimately evolve to the point where it can truly replace at least some versions of the MacBook Pro.