PETA names Apple as the 2023 Company of the Year

Posted:
in iPhone

Animal rights organization PETA has declared Apple to be the 2023 Company of the Year, thanks to the iPhone maker's decision to stop offering leather accessories.

Apple's FineWoven leather-alternative cases
Apple's FineWoven leather-alternative cases

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has been naming winners of it's 2023 awards, praising entities it believes sets an example to others over the environment and animal cruelty issues. For 2023, Apple has been declared the Company of the Year.

In a blog post on Sunday, PETA recognizes Apple for its efforts to eliminate leather from its product lineup and a goal to be carbon neutral by 2023. This is "setting a tremendous example" to other major companies while also meeting consumer demand for more sustainable products, the organization writes.

Apple "will spare countless animals and help mitigate the climate catastrophe," according to PETA. Instead, by offering only leather-free accessories, it is "allowing compassionate consumers to feel good about purchasing animal and eco-friendly products."

PETA also praises Apple's new FineWoven lineup of Apple Watch straps and iPhone cases, which uses lower emissions in production than carbon-intensive leather.

While Apple is shying away from leather, it hasn't stopped accessory makers from using the material.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Mission accomplished. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Question: Since leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, does decreasing its use actually decrease emissions?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    byronl said:
    Question: Since leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, does decreasing its use actually decrease emissions?
    Possibly, but to be substantial, everyone would have to stop making leather products, not just Apple. 

I am not buying this theory of why they discontinued those products since they love to tout what kind of leather went into SJ theater and they are using leather in remodeling some of their corporate offices presently. 
    byronlwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,340member
    A company is only as good as their products, and I assure you, that case will not win "product of the year."

Imagine Tim Cook having this conversation at Apple...

"Let's make a vastly inferior iPhone case so we can win the praise of PETA."

We can almost do a "LOL" here, but then reality hits.  Tim did just that.
    nubusbyronltimpetus
  • Reply 5 of 12
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    An award for replacing a nose-to-tail product supporting farmers with an oil-based synthetic material that doesn’t last? No cookies from Mother Nature to Tim.
    timpetuswilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 12
    byronl said:
    Let me think about this for a minute.... no, it doesn't. And looking at the - sorry - but crap quality of the FineWoven cases, it's also not helping for sustainability.
    timpetuswilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Ouch.  PETA?  Really?

No, I won't go into PETA's hypocrisy here.  It's horrific, and google is a thing.
    timpetuswilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jdw said:
    A company is only as good as their products, and I assure you, that case will not win "product of the year."

Guess what? I don’t care. I needed a case, it fits, I like the color. Done. Some of you think you’re investing in a fine art collection, when the reality is it’s just future landfill. I’m happy to reduce a little. 
    edited December 2023 williamlondonjony0
  • Reply 9 of 12
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    byronl said:
    Possibly, but to be substantial, everyone would have to stop making leather products, not just Apple. 

I am not buying this theory of why they discontinued those products since they love to tout what kind of leather went into SJ theater and they are using leather in remodeling some of their corporate offices presently. 
    Thank for the reply. Can you provide a link for the remodelling bit? Couldn't find anything with a quick google search.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jdw said:

Guess what? I don’t care. I needed a case, it fits, I like the color. Done. Some of you think you’re investing in a fine art collection, when the reality is it’s just future landfill. I’m happy to reduce a little. 
    It is Apple that pushes the image that their products are fine art.
    williamlondonjdw
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Confirmation that Apple messed up: praise from the evil PETA. They just recognized that Apple is playing the same game they always have, pretending to care about things to trick people into giving them money.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 12
    byronl said:
    byronl said:

Thank for the reply. Can you provide a link for the remodelling bit? Couldn't find anything with a quick google search.
    There isn’t any because they probably don’t want it to be public information and they don’t want the public trying to enter these places since they’re restricted. 

The Mary 15 office had a remodel and a new Caffe Macs - Pathline. The office was finished around spring and a friend of mine was there and noticed a lot of leather like the kind you see in SJ theater and most retail stores.