Apple releases tvOS 17.2 with 3D movies and better system navigation

Posted:
in tvOS edited December 2023

Apple has updated its home entertainment experience with the release of tvOS 17.2, which brings features like 3D movies for the Vision Pro headset.

The latest tvOS update brings 3D movies

Following the launch of the most recent tvOS 17.2 beta update on November 14, Apple has formally rolled out the latest iteration of its operating system tailored for the Apple TV.

One of the most notable additions is the support for 3D movies, which aligns with the anticipated launch of the Apple Vision Pro in early 2024. It was first spotted on November 9, which noted the presence of a new 3D logo on certain movies in the iTunes Movie Store, hinting at Apple's preparation for a more immersive viewing experience.

The update also significantly improves the Apple TV app, simplifying navigation and content discovery. A newly designed sidebar organizes content from various apps and streaming services, including Apple TV+, with dedicated sections for Search, Watch Now, MLS Season Pass, Sports, Store, and Library.

Additionally, a "Channels and Apps" area allows users to access content from specific services such as ABC, CBS, Comedy Central, Hulu, ESPN, Discovery, Peacock, Prime Video, and more.

At the same time as updating tvOS, Apple has introduced an update to HomePod Software bringing it to version 17.2.

Read on AppleInsider

djkfisher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,566member
    Such a shame they never worked out how to do 3D movies without the need for a stupid headset.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Ok they made the movie and tv apps useless but you can’t delete them. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dlt said:
    The new sidebar for Apps such as Disney+ sucks. You can see stuff but you don’t have the ability to change users, search movies and shows, etc that you do from the Disney App itself. You have to go all the way to the bottom to find an option to go to Disney +. Easier just to sign in to the Disney + app itself. Other applications are the same way. It was also a lot easier to use the movies and tv individual app themselves rather than the new sidebar option. Maybe the designers should let real users try these changes before forcing on people. 
    What the heck are talking about? The apps are still there, so just keep using the individual apps if that’s what you want.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dlt said:
    The more I look at this update the more of a total joke I think it is. I had a wishlist of movies I was interested in and now it’s gone. What a total joke. Used to be able to see what the video and sound quality of a movie was on the main screen of the movie. Now you have to hunt for the info. Whoever dreamed these change up are STUPID STUPID STUPID. Worst update I have ever seen in an Apple Product and I’m been using Apple products since the mid 80’s. 
    7 posts total from you and yet 3 in the same thread (out of 6 total) saying the same childish thing, we get it, and you've now marked yourself very well. Perhaps MacRumors is a better site, filled with like-minded people.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 5 of 6

Apple has updated its home entertainment experience with the release of tvOS 17.2, which brings features like 3D movies for the Vision Pro headset.

Following the launch of the most recent tvOS 17.2 beta update on November 14, Apple has formally rolled out the latest iteration of its operating system tailored for the Apple TV.

One of the most notable additions is the support for 3D movies, which aligns with the anticipated launch of the Apple Vision Pro in early 2024. It was first spotted on November 9, which noted the presence of a new 3D logo on certain movies in the iTunes Movie Store, hinting at Apple's preparation for a more immersive viewing experience.

The update also significantly improves the Apple TV app, simplifying navigation and content discovery. A newly designed sidebar organizes content from various apps and streaming services, including Apple TV+, with dedicated sections for Search, Watch Now, MLS Season Pass, Sports, Store, and Library.

Additionally, a "Channels and Apps" area allows users to access content from specific services such as ABC, CBS, Comedy Central, Hulu, ESPN, Discovery, Peacock, Prime Video, and more.

At the same time as updating tvOS, Apple has introduced an update to HomePod Software bringing it to version 17.2.

Read on AppleInsider

Nicely done, everything is great.  Works perfectly.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I had a bunch of movies and shows in wishlists. All gone.

Apple continues to make their TV apps dumber. I have quite a few movies and shows, and would love to be able to filter watched and unwatched shows, sort the lists, reorganize things, change categories (why is one movie in a series in Action and the next in Sci-Fi)? 

All this consolidation has done is give you fewer options. Fine if you own six films. Terrible if you have hundreds.
    williamlondonAlex1N