Despite what you may have heard, don't write off the iMac just yet

Posted:
in macOS

We admit that the most recent incarnation of the iMac hasn't left us breathless, but it's far too soon to write an epitaph for Apple's all-in-one.

Apple has introduced an iMac with faster M3 chips
The iMac looks the same, but sports faster M3 chips

Apple refreshed the iMac in October with the new M3 processor. And...well, that was about all it got for upgrades.

It has same colors as before, and a few other minor under-the-hood tweaks, but not even the same processor options as the MacBook Pro. Same 24-inch display, in every regard.

That's led some to wonder if Apple is just trying to let the iMac wither and die on the vine, a victim of benign neglect.

Certainly, the iMac was not the centerpiece of Apple's "Scary Fast" event. Pride of place definitely belonged to the MacBook Pro, where, we might add, it belonged.

The MacBook Pro has legitimately been Apple's premier Mac system for years, even before the switch to Apple Silicon. It's a versatile performer, configurable to suit almost everyone, from student to seasoned pro. Save maybe those with the rarified needs only a Mac Studio might be able to offer.

But there's still a lot to recommend about the iMac. Whether for families looking for a decent computer with better gaming abilities than before, owing to a snazzy new GPU architecture, or businesses buying basic business machines for general administrative use.

But outside the M3 and a few other modest changes like Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 support, the first update to the iMac since 2021 was left otherwise untouched.

The new 24-inch iMac
The new 24-inch iMac

With a few exceptions, critical reception to the new iMacs has generally been tepid, ranging from "boring" to "an afterthought."

Some criticized Apple for not delivering a larger screen than the standard 24-inch. Others complain about the lack of support for the M3 Pro or M3 Max processor.

We think ultimately that whatever its shortcomings, the M3 iMac is a very clear signal from Apple telling Intel Mac users that it's time to move to Apple Silicon. Apple even said something to that effect in the release video.

Apple has also confirmed that there are no plans presently to re-introduce a 27-inch iMac model. The 27-inch iMac was discontinued in 2022, its final incarnation still equipped with an Intel processor.

And a replacement for the iMac Pro, discontinued in 2021, is nowhere in sight. It's another one of those rumors that always seems to be "coming next year."

We emphasize "presently" because Apple saying that now doesn't mean they can't change their mind in the future. Nor does it mean they won't replace it with something else entirely.

Rumors abound, for example, that Apple may be working on other iMac models, including a 32-inch system. Which, if realized, would be the largest iMac ever.

But for now, people interested in a desktop Mac with a larger physical display than 24 inches or higher resolution than 4.5K will need to select a different Mac model, like a laptop tethered to an external display, a Mac mini or a Mac studio, either equipped with an Apple Studio Display or a third-party option.

Historically important

The iMac occupies a unique spot in Apple's product lineup. No other device in Apple's product line is more emblematic of Apple's renaissance from a beleaguered purveyor of mediocre beige box computers to the biggest tech company on the planet.

The iMac is the innovative computer that brought Apple back from the brink of bankruptcy. It also set off a millennial consumer tech design trend. Within a year or two of the iMac's introduction, the consumer tech market was flooded with colorful translucent plastic.

Today's iMac is part of an unbroken product line that goes back to 1998, which makes it Apple's longest-running continuous product brand. But that all-in-one design very consciously echoes the first Macintosh from 1984.

The first Mac is immediately recognizable nearly four decades later

And we suspect that if you brought a Mac user from that era forward in time, they'd have very little difficulty adjusting to today's iMac. The principles that guided the Macintosh's design and that marriage of hardware and software still guide Apple's Mac efforts today.

The changes Apple's made to the iMac have long been incremental. The bondi iMac went through a few increments, before it became the slotload G3 iMac. That too had steps from 350Mhz to 700, which branched off into the iMac G4 and eMac which both had their own steps, until the iMac G5.

Nearly 20 years later after that iMac G5, it's largely the same rectangular slab encompassing a flat panel display. That's because for the past quarter century, evolution has been a consistent through line for the iMac -- and many other Apple products for that matter.

The 20-year-old iMac G5 looks unmistakably like today's iMac
The 20-year-old iMac G5 looks unmistakably like today's iMac

Apple's not afraid to disrupt product categories and entire markets, but once they've staked a claim, they tend to iterate, over and over again, refining the concept to a platonic ideal.

Certainly, the iMac has changed along with consumer tastes and technology trends. Beyond the Mac, the iPads now provide more powerful mobile solutions than ever before to help people get work done, with the iPad Pro powered by the same silicon muscle that's used in the Mac.

When he introduced the iPad 2, Steve Jobs said, "It is in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough -- it's technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the results that make our heart sing."

Regardless of where the iMac sits in Apple's ecosystem at the end of 2023, it's still a unique differentiator for Apple -- a device that fully embraces Apple's ethos at that intersection of technology and liberal arts. It is selling in droves to schools and enterprise, and will continue to do so, even if the home user is opting more for portable form-factors.

Long may it reign.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    ruerue Posts: 9member

I am one of those who gave the M1 iMac a pass waiting for a 27 inch or larger iMac to replace my 2017 27” iMac. However, I could not resist getting the M3 iMac even though I had to give up some screen real estate. I have no regrets. The machine is a work of art, a fast work of art, a quiet work of art. For example, It handles my Steam library with ease. 

roundaboutnowflashfan207StrangeDaysrezwitsAlex_Vtokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 39
    edredr Posts: 12member
    Looks like a good machine for general use and for those imaginary kitchen island soup-making Mac users Apple puts in their videos. But it is not a "perfect upgrade for the 27 iMac" like Apple claims, and the restricted CPU, memory and storage options clearly show that this is not a professional machine in Apple's opinion. The pro laptops are still pretty thin and have CPU, RAM, and storage options that blow away the iMac with its larger chassis.
    williamlondonbaconstangappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 39
    iMac is already dead as long as the 23.5 inch screen is all you can offer. . .👎🏻
    williamlondon9secondkox2nubuszeus423
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Turning the Mac Studio Display into a 27" iMac can't take all that much work.

The display is the same at the 27" iMac that went away a couple years ago.  It already has speakers, power supply, camera (with center stage), fans, and USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.   All it needs is the logic board from a MacBook Pro. a headphone jack, add a couple more Thunderbolt ports, and, poof!, it's an iMac. 

edited December 2023 williamlondonroundaboutnow9secondkox2baconstangbyronlappleinsideruser
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Looks like I will be using my 27 inch Intel iMac for quite a while

The iMac was the product that introduced me to Apple. Since that initial purchase, I have purchased several iPhones, MacBook Pros, iPads, iPods, Watches and Routers. I came to Apple because I really liked their all in one designs. I was not interested in buying a box with cables. I am still not interested in buying a box with cables.

The current iMac doesn't have a large enough screen, enough ports or enough memory. The Mac Studio is like buying a Dell box with cables - No Thanks!

I know Apple wants us to switch to Apple Silicon and I would like to. However, I came to Apple because of their great all in one designs. I guess I might just leave Apple because they have left me.
    jdonAIwilliamlondon9secondkox2baconstangbyronlappleinsideruser
  • Reply 6 of 39
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Just wondering what people were hoping for with this update, other than a model with a larger screen.
    Personally, the 24" screen is perfect for my workspace and viewing distance, so that wasn't an issue for me.
    My only gripe was not being able to order the keyboard separately. I bought the silver model, but would have preferred the numeric keyboard with black keys that is only offered as an option..
    AfarstarStrangeDaysspliff monkeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 39
    I wonder if the disconnect is thanks to the fact that the 27" iMac had upgradeable RAM, so Apple underestimated the demand for 128GB configs since nobody in their right mind would pay the Apple price (I think it was something like $1200!) vs. spending around $300 to add it yourself. That's what I did for my wife's 2020 iMac. Until there's an option that's the same or better, I'll wait. It's just not worth it to spend something like $6000 to get the equivalent Studio Display + Mac Studio.
    Alex_VForumPostappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 39
    NYC362 said:

The display is the same at the 27" iMac that went away a couple years ago.  It already has speakers, power supply, camera (with center stage), fans, and USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.   All it needs is the logic board from a MacBook Pro. a headphone jack, add a couple more Thunderbolt ports, and, poof!, it's an iMac. 

My thoughts exactly.

Another thought would be for Apple to offer a standalone 24" 4.5K display with same industrial design to mate with the 24" iMac. (To my knowledge, nobody offers a 24" 4.5K display of any design.)
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 39
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 620member
    Nice contrived article addressing a problem that affects very few people. Most people buy notebooks now because they are convenient. Desktops are nowhere near as important as they once wear as notebooks are plenty powerful for all but the craziest gamers.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 10 of 39
    I will order a silver M3 iMac (24GB Ram and 2TB SSD with trackpad and keyboard with numeric keypad) in the spring. It will be used in our office/shed during the summers at our Airstream only RV park and have a printer attached. Out WiFi net work will then allow our laptops and other iDevices to access the shared printer from our Airstream trailer close by. The is the best size for our limited work space fold up desk that will also have an HP LaserJet printer on it. I can use my M1 14" MacBook Air as a second display if needed.

It is small enough to take back to the Valley for the winter months and store it for the next season.
    williamlondonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Just changed to M3 model from a 21” 10 year old Intel iMac. Absolutely love it and the screen size is perfect. Also great for watching films, playing music through the excellent 6 speaker system and browsing of course. 
    williamlondonAlex_Vtokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 39
    What’s there to not be breathless about? It’s desk Mac. It’s fast. It’s very thin. What more did you want it to do? De-cork wine bottles? I mean c’mon this a pretty mature product category — 40 years of desktop Macs!
    williamlondon9secondkox2Alex_Vmike1byronldewmetokyojimuAfarstarwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    NYC362 said:

3-step program to your dream setup:

1. Buy a Macbook Pro
    2. Buy a display
    3. Plug them in

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1668323-REG/apple_mbp_16_sg_25_16_2_macbook_pro_with.html
    M1 Max 64GB/2TB
    $2699

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1757494-REG/lg_oled42c3pua_c3_42_4k_hdr.html
    LG C3 42" OLED
    $896

Total $3595

9secondkox2Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 39
    NYC362 said:

It's not a question of work, it's a question of sales and of a product line that makes sense. Do you really think Apple is sitting there thinking, "Wow, our data shows we could sell all the 27" iMacs we could build but... NAH!" The 24" iMac, especially with M3, is faster and more capable than the vast majority of computer users will ever need. But if you make your living doing processor intensive work that requires a bigger screen and more power, you now have your choice of various Mac Minis and Studios at different price points to suit your needs and then pair with either Apple's 27" Studio Display or your choice of another brand's display. 

The iMac 27" and iMac Pro are dead... and Apple doesn't care if you're gonna throw a tantrum and switch to Windows because of it. 
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Great article Peter. 

The iMac seems to be in the place the Mac mini was 5 years ago - nearly forgotten and neglected. 

The baby iMac got a polarizing redesign in 2021 that improved in some ways (slim, new design ethos, better screen for the baby iMac) and went backward in others (nasty white bezels, clunky power brick that unceremoniously plops on the floor). 

The big iMac has been the quintessential Mac for a while. It’s what you see in product placement on tv shows and movies and makes a powerful, modern, elegant statement, dressing up any environment it’s in. 

When Apple paused it, many including myself were bummed, waiting to spend Mac money until it was relaunched. Some of those folks had gone ahead and went with the decidedly more PC-like combination of studio display and Mac mini/Studio while others still wait. 

There’s just nothing like a big iMac. Especially when you can have this great, minimal setup with exactly one cable, plugging cleanly into a nearby outlet. Of the Mac’s I’ve had, the iMac 5k is my favorite. Was the centerpiece of my office and had everyone talking every time they saw it. 

While the new Mac Studio and studio display are very attractive, they lack that extra special sauce the iMac had. 

Of course apple has to see their new thing through, which means polarizing baby iMac and Mac Studio/min plus display setup for a bit. But I get the feeling that’s getting played out and a big, glorious new iMac is on the way. 
    baconstangroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    What’s there to not be breathless about? It’s desk Mac. It’s fast. It’s very thin. What more did you want it to do? De-cork wine bottles? I mean c’mon this a pretty mature product category — 40 years of desktop Macs!
    Exactly. It’s the tech press (even AppleInsider, DED might note) just wanting more and different stuff every time. A new look, different colours, a different stand, a larger screen. I’m not saying the iMac is perfect, but I have one and it’s great as is the design to my eyes. If I wanted an update what I personally would want is the same only faster.
    baconstangAlex_Vroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    The Apple M3 chip is great and I’d eventually like to move from Intel to Apple Silicon, but there is no current match to my 27” 5K 3TB iMac in screen size or in storage.  The iMac is a great (and well-proven) design so I’m not looking for major changes in the physical design, but I do not want to go backwards in screen size or storage to upgrade to Apple Silicon.
    9secondkox2baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    nubusnubus Posts: 387member
    jdonAI said:
    iMac is already dead as long as the 23.5 inch screen is all you can offer. . .👎🏻
    Thanks! This isn’t a 24 or 25 iMac - it is a 23.5 iMac. Cables dangling from the back, an anti-ergonomic design stand can’t be adjusted, only one display size, the mouse is using a dead connector that must be charged upside-down. This is Apple being lazy.
    baconstang
  • Reply 19 of 39
    The good news for the NAY sayers is that they do not have to buy a M3 iMac. Take your marbles to another sand pile. Apple will not miss your departure.

The iMac line is not a major player for many folks, but it is an excellent low cost alternative for many entities and niche market users.

For some folks, this iMac is inexpensive enough to be the sacrificial computer for the kids to use vs the parents much more expensive equipment.

I will be adding one to my "Apple" Collection this spring for use as a summer print server in the mountains and an email and web browser machine. I am not launching rockets or doing programming or intensive photo work.
    iqatedoStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Exactly. It’s the tech press (even AppleInsider, DED might note) just wanting more and different stuff every time. A new look, different colours, a different stand, a larger screen. I’m not saying the iMac is perfect, but I have one and it’s great as is the design to my eyes. If I wanted an update what I personally would want is the same only faster.
    Great take. 

Macs are kind of like Porsches. They’ve perfect their look a long time ago and simply iterate upon that perfection to keep it modern and fresh. Better engine, transmission, etc. to increase performance, but still familiar to look at. Mac’s have a timeless beauty. Again like Porsche or like, say, Helvetica as a font. Or Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. Even scores later, it still looks modern. 

The basic Mac designs as they are (except the 24 iMac which looks great overrall in dimensions and shape, but misses on bezels, power bricks, etc) are pretty much perfect in form. It would actually be disappointing to see it change too much. 

The studio display/pro XDR would make a perfect evolution of the iMac in form. 

But we don’t need some radical departure or star shaped Mac’s, etc. sure reviewers who see tons of Mac’s every week might be bored, but Mac users aren’t. We want the familiar, excellent apple aesthetic and confined uptick in performamce. 
    StrangeDaysbaconstangbyronlkiltedgreenroundaboutnowwatto_cobra