Supply chain report says OLED is next for iPad, but foldables don't have a concrete timeli...

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2023

A supply chain report confirms that OLED is coming to iPad in 2024, but Apple's plans for a foldable remain in flux with no known release window.

OLED is coming to iPad
OLED is coming to iPad

OLED is a superior display technology already used in the iPhone lineup. Mini LED is used for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro and MacBook Pro but will soon be replaced by OLED.

According to a report from Nikkei Asia, Apple is set to release OLED iPads in 2024, OLED MacBooks in 2025, and is still investigating a foldable device. Two people familiar with the matter say Apple "does not have a concrete timeline" for releasing a foldable like iPhone Fold.

"We are seeing LCD makers being squeezed hard because of the rising use of OLED in small midsize products. Huawei, Lenovo ... they are all very aggressive in using OLED in their tablets," said an executive at a supplier of OLED and LCD screens. "With Apple's plan for the iPad materializing from next year, we can only imagine the days ahead for LCD makers will be even more difficult."

Differing reports call for an OLED MacBook between 2024 and 2027. Most reports agree that OLED iPads will arrive first, but the timeline for a potential foldable keeps shifting.

Supply chain reports tend to be accurate, though the further from the current date a prediction is, the more likely it is to shift. OLED iPads in 2024 are basically set in stone, but the release of an OLED MacBook in 2025 is less certain.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,305member
    Makes a ton of sense that OLED would come before foldable. 

As for the LCD manufacturers, I’m sure only the pro model will get OLED for many years, so they should have plenty of business for a while yet.

I continue to look forward to a 13 inch iPad Air. 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    I’m hopeful that Apple being a new source of business for larger OLED screens will bring a cost reduction in that technology.

I would like to replace my 2019 iPad Pro next year, which still performs beautifully, and the upgrade in screen technology would make it worth it to me — but I’m fearful of a substantial price increase.
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 3 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    The whole foldable thing just seems like a useless gimmick to me. 
    jeffharrisqwerty52
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macxpress said:
    All technology seems like useless gimmicks until someone succeeds in making an innovation on it.
    williamlondonpulseimagesmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 9
    macxpress said:
    All technology seems like useless gimmicks until someone succeeds in making an innovation on it.
    Not really. It really depends on what it is. 

Some things that can be done, really aren’t worth it on multiple levels.
    More complex, more moving parts, heavier, more potential failure points, more expensive. 
    With a folding screen, there’s the fold itself and distortion

Is it worth it? Simpler is usually better.

qwerty52macxpress
  • Reply 6 of 9
    macxpress said:
    Not at all...what purpose does a folding phone, tablet serve, or laptop serve? For what? How does it improve the device beyond what it already does? New tech can be innovative if it improves the product but otherwise it's just a gimmicky selling point to tech nerds who think it's just "cool".  

williamlondonqwerty52
  • Reply 7 of 9
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    Not at all...what purpose does a folding phone, tablet serve, or laptop serve? For what? How does it improve the device beyond what it already does? New tech can be innovative if it improves the product but otherwise it's just a gimmicky selling point to tech nerds who think it's just "cool".  

Absolutely right!
    And for me, the “innovation” in this case is just a mechanical experiment……
    macxpress
  • Reply 8 of 9
    @jeffharris ;
    @macxpress ;
    @qwerty52 ;
    Sorry, my bad. I thought I was in a discussion forum where people understand the definition of “innovation”.

A product is not an innovation if it hasn’t made a substantial and positive market/consumer impact.

You must have confused this with an “invention” or “new technology”.
    edited December 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 9
    @jeffharris ;
    @macxpress ;
    @qwerty52 ;
    Sorry, my bad. I thought I was in a discussion forum where people understand the definition of “innovation”.

A product is not an innovation if it hasn’t made a substantial and positive market/consumer impact.

You must have confused this with an “invention” or “new technology”.
    So what makes a folding tablet "innovative"? What positive does it bring to the device? 
    qwerty52williamlondon