Delta's new plane lets you use AirPods to listen to movie audio in-flight

Posted:
in General Discussion

A TikToker has discovered that Delta's newest plane lets you directly connect your AirPods -- or any Bluetooth headphones -- to the in-flight entertainment system.

AirPods
AirPods

On her flight from Seattle to Honolulu, TikTok user Elise Brulotte made an exciting discovery: her plane allowed her to connect her Apple AirPods to the in-flight entertainment system.

"FINALLY delta's new plane allows you to watch movies with your AirPods," Brulotte wrote in on-screen text over her TikTok video. The clip shows her connecting her AirPods Pro to the monitor to watch "Crazy Rich Asians."

@eliseseats

ABOUT TIME as someone who never bought over the ear neadphones im freaking out. game changer

Pink Friday Girls - Nicki Minaj

"ABOUT TIME as someone who never bought over the ear neadphones (sic) im freaking out. game changer," the caption reads.

"The A321neo fleet is our first fleet type offering Bluetooth connectivity, and it's available in first-class cabins," Delta said in a statement to The New York Post.

If you're flying Delta and want to try it for yourself, the feature is exclusive to Delta's A321neo and only available in first-class cabins.

Currently, Delta has 35 A321neos in service and plans to purchase an additional 155 aircraft through 2027. The in-flight entertainment system features over 500 movies and 100 TV series for travelers to watch.

Delta is far from the only airline to offer this feature. Users in the comment section have noted that they have had similar experiences on United, Virgin Airlines, and Emirates flights.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    United Airlines has had the ability to connect Bluetooth earbuds and headphones for several years, and they seem to be adding it to more of their fleet as time goes by.
    kingofsomewherehotronn
  • Reply 2 of 12
    What? For first class only? This should be a norm for all classes.... eventually I hope. Maybe another five years.
    Oferronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Just use the wonderful AirFly. If you get the Pro, you can have two devices paired at one time. https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/airfly
    Oferjeffharrisronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    OferOfer Posts: 246unconfirmed, member
    What? For first class only? This should be a norm for all classes.... eventually I hope. Maybe another five years.
     Yeah, that was my response as well. Who TF can afford first class except for a very tiny percentage of flyers
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kspen said:
    Just use the wonderful AirFly. If you get the Pro, you can have two devices paired at one time. https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/airfly
    Yeah, Twelve South makes some GREAT stuff!
    I got my wife a folding CurveFlex MacBook Pro stand.
    I have a HoverBar Duo iPad stand so I can watch stuff like bike races and hockey games while I'm working.

The AirFly is definitely on my list.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Agree with the other people - AirFly is terrific...been using it the last year
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    safsaf Posts: 6member
    They need to roll this out to everyone as soon as possible.  It's a safety issue, if you aren't connected to the cabin audio system, you're likely to miss safety announcements.  It's not cool when you miss the instructions that tell if you're going to die as the aircraft plunges into the sea.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Long haul flights have provided top notch headsets (for airlines) in first class for years, Lower classes get the equivalent of wired ear buds that marginally get sound to your ears. Both seem to now use the 3.5 sound plug on most of the newer planes. Years ago that was a two prong device to get stereo.
    edited December 2023 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    OF COURSE it's only in first class... Bluetooth is such a new and expensive technology! Give it 5 or 10 years when BT prices finally come down. It's not like you can pick up a pair of Bluetooth Airpods knockoffs on Amazon for $7.50. Oh, wait... hold that thought... you actually can: 

https://www.amazon.com/kurdene-Bluetooth-Microphone-Canceling-Headphones/dp/B0CJ6RKGY9/ref=sr_1_13?crid=47PCBNI9ECC9&keywords=bluetooth%2Bearbuds&qid=1702756081&sprefix=bluetooth%2B%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-13&th=1

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    saf said:
    They need to roll this out to everyone as soon as possible.  It's a safety issue, if you aren't connected to the cabin audio system, you're likely to miss safety announcements.  It's not cool when you miss the instructions that tell if you're going to die as the aircraft plunges into the sea.

I dunno, if I’m gonna die via plane plunging into the sea, I’d probably rather not know beforehand.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    saf said:

You are not allowed to wear headphones that are not connected to the aircraft's entertainment system during takeoff and landing (when most accidents occur), so unless you are ignoring the rules (and the flight attendant has not caught you), you will be fine. Otherwise, it is one less person to get in the way during an evacuation if they are not paying enough attention ;).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    rcomeau said:
    You are not allowed to wear headphones that are not connected to the aircraft's entertainment system during takeoff and landing (when most accidents occur), so unless you are ignoring the rules (and the flight attendant has not caught you), you will be fine. Otherwise, it is one less person to get in the way during an evacuation if they are not paying enough attention ;).

So totally wrong.
    ronnwatto_cobra