Japan plans to fine Apple over app stores and force sideloading

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Presumably, there is data available to the effect of how many Android OS smartphone consumers actually side load apps, and how frequently, but I surely haven't been able to find it via Google Search.

IMHO, consumers aren't going to be all that interested in side loading, but sure, alternate apps stores want a piece of the action. 

https://www.news18.com/tech/google-ceo-sundar-pichai-warns-people-about-sideloading-apps-on-android-8663804.html

Risk vs reward seems pretty high for side loading, vs App or Play Store.

Regarding sideloaded apps, it's been a couple of years since I've seen it reported, but this is from one of my old saved links:

"Wandera reports that 5.8% of iOS and 1.1% of Android devices had at least one sideloaded app. For iOS, that’s up from the 3.4% of devices in 2018 that had at least one sideloaded app, with this growth potentially due to the increased presence of BYOD deployments. Meanwhile, the percentage of Android apps having at least one sideloaded app is very low and at odds with Zimperium's data which says 
    48% of Android devices were found to have at least one, compared to 3% of iOS devices. Quite a difference from Wandera’s data, with Zimperium noting that for their customers, “users are the admins of mobile endpoints,” where they have the ability to download apps themselves without requiring an admin’s permission."

So I suppose it depends on where your device is managed, and how it's used, whether the owner has any side-loaded apps.

So what to do about those who stray outside the official first-party stores? Should they be left to fend for themselves as punishment for going against the company's wishes?

While it's probably not widely known here at AI, Google has long had safety protections built into Google Android which help guard all users whether they sideloaded an app from a 3rd party or got it from official Google Play. Over the past few weeks, that protection mechanism has been upgraded with more capabilities.
     https://security.googleblog.com/2023/10/enhanced-google-play-protect-real-time.html

I don't know of any reason Apple could not do the same with iOS. Of course, Google doesn't include Chinese users since the company's OS is nonexistent there. I don't think Apple would have that same issue, being omnipresent in their marketplace, but perhaps there is some subtle code/OS difference between iOS in China and iOS for the rest of the world. 

Gatorguy, Thanks for the detailed response. I do as well believe that Apple will follow Google's lead in upping protections for those who do choose to side load. I actually understand the business interests of side loading, whether company provided, or BYOD, and I suspect that both Apple and Google have, or would want to, deliver products that would make that a safer and more efficient process.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    Presumably, there is data available to the effect of how many Android OS smartphone consumers actually side load apps, and how frequently, but I surely haven't been able to find it via Google Search.

IMHO, consumers aren't going to be all that interested in side loading, but sure, alternate apps stores want a piece of the action. 

https://www.news18.com/tech/google-ceo-sundar-pichai-warns-people-about-sideloading-apps-on-android-8663804.html

I 'sideload' occasionally but only when an app isn't available from an official App Store.

I do not consider installing via an App Store (offering certified/signed apps) as sideloading.

I have two sets of mobile services on my phone (GMS and HMS). Play Store and App Gallery. 

The 'risk vs reward' doesn't have to be any different from the Apple AppStore.

It is perfectly reasonable for a third party App Store to offer better protections than other stores. 

Not to mention direct downloads from developers of trusted sites. 

That sounds great, but which entities curate the "better protections" and "trusted stores", because there will certainly be plenty of developers, stores, and payments systems that will not meet standards of the App and Play Stores, and those standards are very, very, high. But sure, side loading is required of any app that is not available on the App or Play store.
    No App Store will give you absolute protection. That is not possible. Apple certainly does not offer any guarantees. 

Stores can offer less, an equivalent level or superior protection. That all depends on the store mechanisms. 

I didn't mention trusted app 'stores' but trusted 'developers'. 

Some developers have earned the trust of users and downloading direct from them is often the best route.

FWIW, even downloading an app for pure sideloading on HarmonyOS will lead to the package being scanned before you reach the install button (along with the regular warnings). The scan mechanics are for malware/virus use Kaspersky but AI is also employed for monitoring after installation in an attempt to flag suspicious behaviour. 
  • Reply 43 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

I 'sideload' occasionally but only when an app isn't available from an official App Store.

I do not consider installing via an App Store (offering certified/signed apps) as sideloading.

I have two sets of mobile services on my phone (GMS and HMS). Play Store and App Gallery. 

It is perfectly reasonable for a third party App Store to offer better protections than other stores. 

That sounds great, but which entities curate the "better protections" and "trusted stores", because there will certainly be plenty of developers, stores, and payments systems that will not meet standards of the App and Play Stores, and those standards are very, very, high. But sure, side loading is required of any app that is not available on the App or Play store.
    No App Store will give you absolute protection. That is not possible. Apple certainly does not offer any guarantees. 

Stores can offer less, an equivalent level or superior protection. That all depends on the store mechanisms. 

Some developers have earned the trust of users and downloading direct from them is often the best route.

FWIW, even downloading an app for pure sideloading on HarmonyOS will lead to the package being scanned before you reach the install button (along with the regular warnings). The scan mechanics are for malware/virus use Kaspersky but AI is also employed for monitoring after installation in an attempt to flag suspicious behaviour. 
    Kaspersky is, by definition, suspicious behavior, but perfect for the PRC, for catching wafts of independent thought...

Why was Kaspersky banned?

Kaspersky Lab has faced controversy over allegations that it has engaged with the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) to use its software to scan computers worldwide for material of interest—ties which the company has actively denied.
    Yeah, sure, but why would anyone trust security apparatus from an autocracy?
  • Reply 44 of 48
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

Kaspersky is, by definition, suspicious behavior, but perfect for the PRC, for catching wafts of independent thought...

Kaspersky Lab has faced controversy over allegations that it has engaged with the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) to use its software to scan computers worldwide for material of interest—ties which the company has actively denied.
    'Allegations' as usual but that has nothing to do with how the system ties in to thwart virus and or malware, or the subject of App Store security in general. 

And don't forget, HarmonyOS is a Chinese system. Those that use it are most likely to understand that anyway so your point is a bit moot. 

My point though, was that pure sideloading has some built-in default protections. 

Any App Store that wants to provide an alternative for apps on App Store or Play Store will have to offer similar protections to gain traction. 

• Reply 45 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

'Allegations' as usual but that has nothing to do with how the system ties in to thwart virus and or malware, or the subject of App Store security in general. 

And don't forget, HarmonyOS is a Chinese system. Those that use it are most likely to understand that anyway so your point is a bit moot. 

My point though, was that pure sideloading has some built-in default protections. 

Any App Store that wants to provide an alternative for apps on App Store or Play Store will have to offer similar protections to gain traction. 

...well, excepting the required government installed and approved apps, this is a perfect example of side loading app security...

LOL!!!

Police states are likely the poorest example of side loading app security scenarios, but sure, you decided that Huawei needed to be front and center...
    edited December 2023 ronn
  • Reply 46 of 48
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

...well, excepting the required government installed and approved apps, this is a perfect example of side loading app security...

LOL!!!

Police states are likely the poorest example of side loading app security scenarios, but sure, you decided that Huawei needed to be front and center...
    I really don't know what you mean with that. 

I said pure sideloading.

As for Huawei, can you name any other currently available fully fledged app store with supporting services model that is widely available on phones?

Not Amazon. Not Samsung. Not any of the repository app stores. Not Microsoft (although with these legislative changes it is rumoured they want to create one). 

• Reply 47 of 48
    killroy said:
    This looks like the first shot of a trade war.
    AfterDawn eg “Fallout” of the “trade!” Globalization not likely to be feasible; but…but..
  • Reply 48 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    ralphie said:
    blastdoor said:
    It sure seems that forced sideloading is going to happen eventually. I guess we will just see what happens. I suspect it won’t end up being as big a deal, both good and bad, as people think. 
    I agree. Who cares if there’s side-loading.  If that’s something what people want to do let ‘em.  I won’t be.
    Apple should care, because me and the people I influence will stop buying iOS devices if iOS devices allow that. Will side-loading app stores have the same App Privacy information as apps on the Apple App Store have? No. Can you guarantee that apps will be available on the Apple App Store if they are available on other stores? No, you can't, and that means iOS will become a garbage dump.
    IMO, you may as well figure out where to head next for your smartphone wants. I think the writing on the wall is clear: Region after region will compel Apple to open apps to side-loading, with the US being the next big market to do so. It's coming, but it has not yet been widely reported. It won't be the last antitrust action either.

The days of big US techs making their own rules without regard for the effects on competition are fading away. 
    avon b7