'Operation Triangulation' exposes advanced iMessage attack on security firm

Posted:
in iPhone

Security experts have disclosed an astonishing four-year campaign of iPhone hacking targeting the Russian security company Kaspersky, which has been labeled "the most sophisticated exploit ever."

Researchers uncover a sophisticated iPhone attack
Researchers uncover a sophisticated iPhone attack

Operation Triangulation's attack involved a complex series of exploits, including a zero-click iMessage attack, targeting iOS up to version 16.2. The attack began with a malicious iMessage attachment exploiting an undocumented TrueType font instruction, leading to remote code execution.

The exploit chain incorporated multiple techniques such as return/jump oriented programming, JavaScript obfuscation, and manipulation of JavaScriptCore and kernel memory, according to Kaspersky researcher Boris Larin.

Exploiting hidden hardware registers

A key part of the attack was using special hardware controls (MMIO registers) to get around Apple's Page Protection security layer. It was done through specific weaknesses, tracked as CVE-2023-41990, CVE-2023-32434, and CVE-2023-38606 in the database of security flaws.

By exploiting these flaws, the attackers could access all the memory of the iPhone and gain complete control to carry out further actions like sending recordings from the microphone, pictures, location information, and other confidential data to their servers.

One of these weaknesses, CVE-2023-38606, was especially tricky, letting attackers bypass extra security in newer iPhones. That was done by sending data to certain parts of the iPhone's memory using some hidden parts of Apple's chips, which were probably meant for checking and fixing problems.

Diagram of the Triangulation exploit chain
Diagram of the Triangulation exploit chain

The researchers found these hidden parts connected to the iPhone's graphics processor. When they tried to access them, it caused the graphics processor to crash, which showed they were a part of the attack.

One particular control, numbered 0x206040000, was vital because it was used at the start and end of the attack. That suggests it was used to turn on or off a unique hardware feature or to manage alerts during the attack.

Apple fixed the security problem by updating the device's internal map (known as the device tree) to recognize and control access to specific memory areas, specifically the ranges 0x206000000-0x206050000 and 0x206110000-0x206400000, which were being misused in the attack.

The device's system (XNU) uses this map to decide if it should allow access to certain parts of its memory. Each area in the map is clearly labeled to show what kind of memory it is and what it's used for.

Is it possible to stay safe from Triangulation?

Apple has already patched the combination of exploits used here.

While it's impossible to stay safe from a zero-day attack, iPhone users can still take several steps to mitigate the damage. However, in this case, it was a targeted munition, directly aimed at Kaspersky employees.

Regularly updating the iOS to the latest version is crucial, as it includes fixes for known security vulnerabilities. Users should exercise caution with messages, especially from unknown sources, avoiding clicking on suspicious links or downloading attachments.

Employing strong, unique passwords and enabling two-factor authentication for the Apple ID adds another layer of security. Next, regular backups of iPhone data can mitigate damage in case of an attack.

Finally, Apple added a feature called "Lockdown Mode" to iPhone, Mac, and iPad in iOS 16, macOS Ventura, and iPadOS 16. It's a security feature designed primarily for high-profile individuals who might be targets of sophisticated cyberattacks.

The feature isn't intended for everyday use due to its highly restrictive nature, significantly limiting device functionality.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    In before Tim Cook and Apple circle jerk army arrive telling us Android is much worse, and this is nothing to worry about.

williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 9
    In before Tim Cook and Apple circle jerk army arrive telling us Android is much worse, and this is nothing to worry about.

It is solved by updated OSs and was a targeted attack, affecting very few people. Lockdown mode also helps. The amount of solicitation and research to pull this off is amazing, and wasn't done by your average hacker. The average person wasn't affected.
    edited December 2023 jas99ForumPostmknelsonracerhomie3
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Important news and advice - glad AAPL is on top of this! Follow the advice @ end of article and/or see me. 

This is a good time to look @ status for Nord VPN - they tickled me about renewal a few days ago - we paid 4 a 2 yr. Subscription & it sure doesn’t seem like 2 years yet (not even close).
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 4 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    The more interesting part of this is the undisclosed hardware that allows bypassing the secure element.

So that remains the big question:
    How did the attacker become aware of that piece of hidden hardware, something only a very select number of Apple employees or perhaps the chip manufacturer should have been known existed? I can understand the Russians pointing fingers at Apple as being in cahoots, but there's no evidence at the moment Apple was aware the hidden hardware had been exploited, much less advised any governmental agency about how it might be used for spy games.
    edited December 2023 dewmeMplsP
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SORRY FOLX - the previous post was written as if my wife was the target. I copied and (thought) I sent to her but as is often the case AI had diff ideas and posted directly to Formum Comments - OOPS!

Oh well dear hearts Happy New Year ( and if drinking or otherwise self medicating ) pass the keys to someone SOBER please !!!
    Alex_Vappleinsideruser
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gatorguy said:
    The more interesting part of this is the undisclosed hardware that allows bypassing the secure element.

How did the attacker become aware of that piece of hidden hardware, something only a very select number of Apple employees or perhaps the chip manufacturer should have been known existed? I can understand the Russians pointing fingers at Apple as being in cahoots, but there's no evidence at the moment Apple was aware the hidden hardware had been exploited, much less advised any governmental agency about how it might be used for spy games.
    Indeed. Yet security by obfuscation is not the solution. Don’t add backdoors. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    gatorguy said:

I would think all they had to do was to analyze the software, line by line, that Apple techs use to troubleshoot iPhones. (If it's true that the "hidden" hardware was used for troubleshooting.)  They would eventually find addresses that are not documented anywhere. Maybe even third party authorized Apple repair shops uses the software, of course the repair tech would have no idea about the inner workings of the software they are using. Just knowing about the hidden hardware used to troubleshoot iPhones, would be useless by itself, without the software that had access to and utilized that hidden hardware. In short, they might have just reversed engineered the software that was utilizing this hidden hardware. Troubleshooting software that any authorized Apple repair shop might have access to.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Suspect either a nation state may have developed hack, or maybe one of the "white hat" firms that sell software to nation states and intelligence/police forces to crack cell phones.  Authorized folks who buy from "white hat" firms are supposed to prevent wider distribution, but this trust has been broken in the past.  

Possible it could be one of the tools sold on dark web or by a group indirectly related to 2600 hacking group.  Doubt this was the work of an individual hacker.  Although it may be easier than I'd imagine to develop (unsure what type of tools may exist to decompile executable code back to source code).  Assume that iOS would be compiled to machine readable code for performance (not interpreted).  I'd expect AI to be used in newer malware soon (if not already used), leading to a large uptick in malware and viruses.  

Seem to be more zero-click exploits recently.  In the past, we could largely protect ourselves by only clicking on links from known sources.  Interesting that a security related firm's employees appear to have been the main target.  Also interesting that the exploit started four years ago.  Maybe attempt was to determine corporate plans of Kaspersky to develop competitive products, or access data concerning customers?  
    edited December 2023
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:

I would think all they had to do was to analyze the software, line by line, that Apple techs use to troubleshoot iPhones. (If it's true that the "hidden" hardware was used for troubleshooting.)  They would eventually find addresses that are not documented anywhere. Maybe even third party authorized Apple repair shops uses the software, of course the repair tech would have no idea about the inner workings of the software they are using. Just knowing about the hidden hardware used to troubleshoot iPhones, would be useless by itself, without the software that had access to and utilized that hidden hardware. In short, they might have just reversed engineered the software that was utilizing this hidden hardware. Troubleshooting software that any authorized Apple repair shop might have access to.

There are a few possibilities, and what you described will be investigated if it has not already (I suspect it has). I don't know that an answer for why the hardware existed has yet been officially explained, much less who at Apple (or wherever)would have had access to it. Nothing about it has been publicly verified.

This hardware angle to the story was discovered several months ago, and the fact that Apple has been silent about it since (AFAICT) may indicate the answer isn't so easy.