2024: Apple's 40 year old Macintosh survives another year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,943member
    entropys said:
    A larger display than currently available would be what I need to pull the trigger.
    Thankfully there are Macs that allow you to do whatever size you want. 
    edited January 3 jony0
  • Reply 22 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,943member
    40 years for a product is amazing, especially a PC. Can you imagine a Dell, HP, or IBM product lasting this long? 
    jony0
  • Reply 23 of 29
    toltol Posts: 12member
    I have my 1984 Mac, but I can’t find a super floppy drive to enable me to move data :-) Apple forgot to include Ethernet!
  • Reply 24 of 29
    I also have my 1984 Mac bought from Cambridge University when I lived there and they were retiring their original Macs. 

Apple remain extraordinary in the most ordinary of things. There is more processing power in an Apple power supply plug than powered the first moon landing. Just a simple Apple Thunderbolt cable, oft ridiculed for being over-priced, has more computing power than home computers of the 1980's. 

The old adage that 'you get what you pay for' has never been more true. I would add, 'if you are lucky and careful'. 
    baconstangjony0
  • Reply 25 of 29
    AllMAllM Posts: 71member
    Great article, Daniel! Wish they hadn't been bastardisin' the Mac into a scaled-up iPhone for the TikTok generation, though.
    edited January 4 baconstang
  • Reply 26 of 29
    I bought the Apple ][ with 4K of RAM in 1978. Today I use the iPhone 15 Pro Max with 8GB of RAM and 1024 GB of storage. My laptop is a MacBook Pro 16” with 128 GB of RAM and 4TB of storage. These are my powerhouses. I also use a mini iPad and iPad Pro 12.9. These devices have simplified my life and abilities. I still occasionally boot up my Apple ][ and look at my green screen monitor in awe.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    tol said:
    I have my 1984 Mac, but I can’t find a super floppy drive to enable me to move data :-) Apple forgot to include Ethernet!
    https://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/

I have one of these, use it with a Mac 512K, but should work fine with an original Mac as well.
    edited January 4
  • Reply 28 of 29
    This is the start of an amazing year - a DED article that is not lambasted by the uneducated in the comments section! I can’t believe it!
    My first Mac was a work provided computer - Macintosh IIci. The managers got Mac’s, while the developers got DEC. I eventually had an interface to Ethernet, and ran X-windows to access DEC workstations. 
    My wife took a job which got her enough money to buy me a PowerBook 140. We lived in Cupertino and we were able to get the PowerBook at a nice discount. Those were the days…. I loved my Mac’s!

Thanks for the reminders DED!
    jony0
  • Reply 29 of 29
    jony0jony0 Posts: 380member
    jwdawso said:
    This is the start of an amazing year - a DED article that is not lambasted by the uneducated in the comments section! I can’t believe it!
    Good point, nor can I. A refreshing start of a new year, let's hope they've all moved on for good.