What to do if your iPhone 15 is peeling on the edge of the back glass

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 4

There are spotty reports that back-glass coating is peeling off some iPhone 15 units -- but the actual issue is slightly less dramatic than that. Here's what to do if you see it on yours.

iPhone 15 pro peeling - image credit mr_rakue on Reddit
iPhone 15 pro peeling - image credit mr_rakue on Reddit

Reports are starting to accumulate on Reddit and social media of a new problem with the iPhone 15 family of devices. On the edge of an iPhone 15, users periodically see a flaky or sticky material on the back edge of the device.

We've spoken to representatives of Apple's service venues who are not authorized to speak on behalf of the company. They've all said that it's rare, and it isn't the back glass peeling.

Instead the root cause is what appears to be an improper factory application of the adhesive that helps to hold the back glass on the iPhone. The adhesive extrudes through the gap between the frame and the back glass.

The issue stems from the new assembly procedure for any iPhone 15 model. In the iPhone 14, if the back glass broke, it was an expensive repair involving a large component, including the frame.

In the iPhone 15 line, a back glass repair is simpler and quicker. The glass can be replaced without involving the disassembly of an entire device and transplantation of the components into a new rear case.

It's unclear how prevalent the issue is beyond the "one per day or less" per location we've been told. Initial data we've collected from Apple's repair venues doesn't suggest that the issue is widespread.

In any situation such as this, Apple doesn't listen to press reports or social media claims. If you have this issue, avoid liquid contact, as the adhesive is part of the water protection, and get it documented with Apple.

In most cases, we've been told that Apple is replacing the iPhone in question.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    This is actually a feature, not a bug. It makes the phone thinner.
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    If only the industry would move away from glass backs and onto something less fragile.
    bonobob
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 383member
    avon b7 said:
    If only the industry would move away from glass backs and onto something less fragile.
    So would you prefer easily scratched plastic, or breakable ceramic?  Remember that radio signals can’t go through metal.  I guess that still leaves wood as a possibility.  
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    bonobob said:
    avon b7 said:
    So would you prefer easily scratched plastic, or breakable ceramic?  Remember that radio signals can’t go through metal.  I guess that still leaves wood as a possibility.  
    There are no end of options available and room for invention. Composite materials abound, along with all manner of coatings. 

Scratches are preferable to breakage. Always. 

Solutions don't have to be necessarily hi tech either. People have no issues placing plastic screen protectors on the front of their phones. Imagine a plastic or composite back with a changeable film to protect against scratches.

Of course, just maybe, the move to glass backs itself had financial aspirations through expensive repairs. Just maybe, eh? 
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Use a case. 
    zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Or maybe just take a little bit more care of your device? I've never had to replace a front screen or back glass. But for sure the non glass backs scratch, so I love the switch to glass....

jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    You can probably find some replacement weatherstripping at the Home Depot.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    longfanglongfang Posts: 459member
    avon b7 said:
    bonobob said:
    avon b7 said:
    There are no end of options available and room for invention. Composite materials abound, along with all manner of coatings. 

Scratches are preferable to breakage. Always. 

Solutions don't have to be necessarily hi tech either. People have no issues placing plastic screen protectors on the front of their phones. Imagine a plastic or composite back with a changeable film to protect against scratches.

Of course, just maybe, the move to glass backs itself had financial aspirations through expensive repairs. Just maybe, eh? 
    I like my glass back iPhone. Never broken one over 4 generations.

Then there’s the front glass. Only had one of those crack on an iPad mini
    edited January 5 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Big fan of heavy duty cases.  I've been a klutz dropping phones back to the Motorola flip phones, and even before that, with pagers.  Granted, those early devices were a lot less expensive to replace.  The pagers came with alkaline AA batteries that were frequently discarded as they drained (generally, several times a month, if not more).  Never had to replace or repair a device due to breakage.  Probably wouldn't even see or care about issue in picture with a case.  
    watto_cobra