Clicks brings a physical keyboard to your iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 6

Classic Blackberry fans rejoice, there's a new physical keyboard accessory built for your iPhone 15 Pro with backlit keys, shortcuts, and more.

Clicks for iPhone
Clicks for iPhone

Michael Fisher, aka MrMobile, co-founded a company called Clicks, which makes a tactile keyboard accessory for iPhone. The device fits iPhone like a case, attaches over the connecting port, and has power passthrough.

Clicks brings physical typing to a device that revolutionized typing on a display. While the iPhone keyboard is innovative, Clicks argues that it lacks the tactile feel of a real keyboard.

When a physical keyboard is attached to the iPhone, the digital one slides down, giving way to more content. On the iPhone 15 Pro the keyboard takes up almost half of the entire display.

The Clicks keyboard attaches to the iPhone via the port, Lightning for iPhone 14 Pro and USB-C for iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max. Compatibility with other iPhone models is planned in future releases.

The keyboard doesn't have a battery and is powered by the connected iPhone. It has a backlight and supports keyboard shortcuts like CMD + Space to open Spotlight.

There are a few asterisks with using Clicks.

• Not MagSafe compatible, though that could change in a future model.

• Can't attach Clicks with other cases on iPhone.

• The case isn't water resistant since splashes would ruin the keyboard.

• CarPlay passthrough works with Lightning models, not USB-C models.

• Wired EarPods will not work through Clicks

Clicks is only available in yellow and a grayish blue at launch, though more colors are planned. It only works with specific iPhone model designs, so a change to iPhone 16 Pro might make Clicks incompatible.

Clicks is available for $139 for the iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 15 Pro. The iPhone 15 Pro Max model is $159.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    For a dumb thing that I have no use for, it's kind of cute, I like the banana colour.

Does Messages not show the virtual keyboard if you have a physical keyboard attached?  Huh, didn't know that, though it makes sense.
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderd_2watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    "When a physical keyboard is attached to the iPhone, the digital one slides down, giving way to more content. On the iPhone 15 Pro the keyboard takes up almost the entire display."

Is that really true? I don't think it is.
    gregoriusmWhiskeyAPPLEciderelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Respite said:
    For a dumb thing that I have no use for, it's kind of cute, I like the banana colour.

Does Messages not show the virtual keyboard if you have a physical keyboard attached?  Huh, didn't know that, though it makes sense.
    "When a physical keyboard is attached to the iPhone, the digital one slides down, giving way to more content. On the iPhone 15 Pro the keyboard takes up almost the entire display."

Unless the accessory is really heavy, it would be top heavy and hard to type on? Would seem to be awkward to hold to type.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Maybe if it was introduced in 2010 when some people were still lamenting the loss of the physical keyboard from their Blackberry. I think everyone has moved on by now.
    purplepearForumPostWhiskeyAPPLEciderradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    AppleZulu said:

That was meant to say "half the display." Thanks. Funny how one missed word can drastically change the meaning of the post sentence.
    edited January 4 AppleZuluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    AppleZulu said:

That was meant to say "half the display." Thanks. Funny how one missed word can drastically change the meaning of the post sentence.
    Indeed. Three letters can mean the difference between a denial or confession of having robbed a bank.
    fred1watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Someone releases one of these physical keyboards every few years. They always fail. When will people give up?
    peterhartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    Even if I craved a physical keyboard for the iPhone, this one has waaaay to many caveats (helpfully spelled out at the bottom of the article) to merit serious consideration. Not to mention the thing will go obsolete the moment you buy a newer model iPhone.
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    8thman8thman Posts: 29member
    I really liked the Blackberry HOLSTER that snapped Open/shut and had a belt clip. Does anyone know of one for iPhones??
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Will Blackberry sue this company like what had happened to Typo (dumb name)?
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Wonderful to type on in landscape mode.
    Curiouserandcuriousradarthekatdarbus69watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    You're going to need very deep pockets to carry one of these - literally.

Cargo pants may not be enough. This may require a belt with a scabbard.

Does anyone sell a MagSafe compatible scabbard?
    ForumPostbloggerblogCuriouserandcuriousAnilu_777mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    AppleZulu said:

I have an iPhone 12 Mini, and I can tell you that the keyboard takes up over half the screen. 
    watto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 14 of 27
    AppleZulu said:

Almost is a broad term. For example, I tell my wife I consider the color of anything not black to be almost white. Then I never have to figure out what fuschia is, or make decorating decisions. 

I think if you don’t find that screen statement deeply valuable, and perhaps validating, you’re just failing to capitalize on the full value of the English language. 
    edited January 4 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Seems like April 1st comes earlier each year.  
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27

Michael Fisher, aka MrMobile, confounded a company called Clicks, which makes a tactile keyboard accessory for iPhone. The device fits iPhone like a case, attaches over the connecting port, and has power passthrough.

I was thinking "confounded" was a typo, but maybe not...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Fun idea, would rather have a landscape one. Given that Blackberry sued the previous product out of existence, I'm wondering what is going to happen with this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Michael Fisher, aka MrMobile, confounded a company called Clicks, which makes a tactile keyboard accessory for iPhone. The device fits iPhone like a case, attaches over the connecting port, and has power passthrough.

In the US, it's "confonded"
  • Reply 19 of 27
    auxio said:

In the US, it's "confonded"
    Huh? I didn't know "confonded" was a word. I'm pretty sure "cofounded" is what was meant, but "confounded," as in "confused" or "mixed-up" is what sarcastic me felt was humorously appropriate. (I mean really, a physical keyboard on an iPhone?)  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member
    michelb76 said:
    Fun idea, would rather have a landscape one. Given that Blackberry sued the previous product out of existence, I'm wondering what is going to happen with this.
    Is there one that uses MagSafe puck as a pivot? 

It could then work on any Qi2 phone even with a compatible case
    watto_cobra