13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,657member
    AllM said:
    spheric said:
    AllM said:
    avon b7 said:

GDPR is an absolutely necessary piece of legislation. A model to follow and considered one of the best stabs at protecting EU citizens in the digital age.

To many here it's the silent shield. Without it, Meta would have been deep into our underwear and way up our nooks and crannies!

It's what saved EU WhatsApp users from many of those nasty privacy changes Meta tried to slip in a while back.

No legislation is perfect and it will get revised but I'd rather have it over any alternative. 

What’sWhat? Isn’t it better not to use crap products in the first place rather than rely on legislation to protect you? 
    That ship sailed long before Meta ever bought WhatsApp. 

The only reason Meta bought them was because WhatsApp was already the by far dominant messaging service. 

WhatsCrap has been … well, just that, since its inception. 

For crying out loud, AI. Fix this bug when quoting on mobile. 
     "I don't like product XYZ and don't understand why it's by far the most popular product worldwide, therefore it shouldn't be regulated." 

Sounds like a legitimate basis for legislative inaction, I guess. 🤷‍♂️
  • Reply 42 of 53
    nubusnubus Posts: 568member
    jdw said:
    You folks demanding change and company breakups don't know how good you have it now.  You moan and groan and scream to get Big Brother involved, and when he gets involved, your world changes for the worse.  But will you blame yourselves when that happens?  Ha!  Hardly.  You will turn your attention to yet another free market activity to ruin with the iron fist of government.
    Eh... we do have it better after government decided that MS had to unbundle IE. At the time pages often required ActiveX which only worked on Windows and had a lot of security problems. I couldn't access my online bank from a Mac. Now I can - thanks to government insisting that MS couldn't use Windows as a vehicle to kill competition on browsers. It isn't a free market - but would you really want a market without any standards for food or car or drug safety?
    sphericwilliamlondon
  • Reply 43 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,956member
    jdw said:
    Remember, the EU brought the bane of the internet: ENDLESS COOKIE CONSENT POPUPS!

Why?
    Well, they keep the user in control of their data!
    LOL.  
    Those notices are far worse than what we had before those notices existed.  And this is but one example of what the EU does.  They create regulations in the name of helping people but end up doing more harm than good.

Who in THE world thinks opening the Apple App Store really helps people?  With millions of apps, who can figure out which want they even need?  In the early days, sure!  But now?  Not a chance.  

Forcing the App store to let app makers avoid Apple's 15% or 30% cut only helps a tiny minority of wealthy app makers who are already well known.  It really doesn't help "most" app developers at all.  And it only contributes to apps becoming worse, which means the user experience is worse overall.  Why would the average user want that?  Well, they probably don't.  But the reality is most users don't really know what they want.  They simply trust people smarter than them will do the right thing for them in government.  But usually, government just creates new rules that hurt everyone in the end.  

You folks demanding change and company breakups don't know how good you have it now.  You moan and groan and scream to get Big Brother involved, and when he gets involved, your world changes for the worse.  But will you blame yourselves when that happens?  Ha!  Hardly.  You will turn your attention to yet another free market activity to ruin with the iron fist of government.

The cookie notice was in response to abuse. At the very least users have the right to refuse. 

Now they do. 

If it's 'worse' than before they became mandatory, it has nothing to do with the problem of uncontrolled abuse.

Everything in historical perspective. Without doubt, when the situation comes up for review, changes will be made. 
    nubusspheric
  • Reply 44 of 53
    AllMAllM Posts: 71member
    spheric said:
    AllM said:
    spheric said:
    AllM said:
    avon b7 said:

GDPR is an absolutely necessary piece of legislation. A model to follow and considered one of the best stabs at protecting EU citizens in the digital age.

To many here it's the silent shield. Without it, Meta would have been deep into our underwear and way up our nooks and crannies!

It's what saved EU WhatsApp users from many of those nasty privacy changes Meta tried to slip in a while back.

No legislation is perfect and it will get revised but I'd rather have it over any alternative. 

What’sWhat? Isn’t it better not to use crap products in the first place rather than rely on legislation to protect you? 
    That ship sailed long before Meta ever bought WhatsApp. 

The only reason Meta bought them was because WhatsApp was already the by far dominant messaging service. 

WhatsCrap has been … well, just that, since its inception. 

For crying out loud, AI. Fix this bug when quoting on mobile. 
     "I don't like product XYZ and don't understand why it's by far the most popular product worldwide, therefore it shouldn't be regulated." 

Sounds like a legitimate basis for legislative inaction, I guess. ߤ禺wj;♂️
    I just don’t care as long as it ain’t forced upon me. Cause it wasn’t just WhatsApp, right? That GDPR thingy affects WA users and non-users alike. 

Same goes for all this ‘monopoly’ fuss. Screw around all you want, but let me opt out by requiring the developers to use Apple’s App Store along with any other avenues they might come up with. Otherwise you might be introducing changes into my user experience to which I do not consent. 
    edited January 6 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 53
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,408member
    avon b7 said:
    jdw said:
    Remember, the EU brought the bane of the internet: ENDLESS COOKIE CONSENT POPUPS!

Why?
    LOL.  
    Those notices are far worse than what we had before those notices existed.  And this is but one example of what the EU does.  They create regulations in the name of helping people but end up doing more harm than good.

Who in THE world thinks opening the Apple App Store really helps people?  With millions of apps, who can figure out which want they even need?  In the early days, sure!  But now?  Not a chance.  

Forcing the App store to let app makers avoid Apple's 15% or 30% cut only helps a tiny minority of wealthy app makers who are already well known.  It really doesn't help "most" app developers at all.  And it only contributes to apps becoming worse, which means the user experience is worse overall.  Why would the average user want that?  Well, they probably don't.  But the reality is most users don't really know what they want.  They simply trust people smarter than them will do the right thing for them in government.  But usually, government just creates new rules that hurt everyone in the end.  

The cookie notice was in response to abuse. At the very least users have the right to refuse. 

Now they do. 

If it's 'worse' than before they became mandatory, it has nothing to do with the problem of uncontrolled abuse.

Everything in historical perspective. Without doubt, when the situation comes up for review, changes will be made. 
    The next time I get hit with a ridiculously insane Cookie Notice, I shall remember that some guy in the AppleInsider forum set me and the entire world straight by explaining we need to keep it in "historical perspective."

Yeah...

Oh yeah...

Why people seek to defend the undefendable makes zero sense to me.  I still remember getting a beating in this forum when I said I disliked the butterfly keyboard, and all the status quo worshippers told me "suck it up because it's here to stay!"  They ranted at how they loved it.  

Doesn't matter the topic, we have nuts who will defend anything for having happened, regardless of how bad it turns out to be, because they somehow believe that some action was better than no action.  I disagree profoundly with that.  Sometimes a change really screws things up, and those horrible Cookie Notices are a part of that.  The people of the world should demand the EU capitulate and eliminate those silly notices today.

But most people don't rise up because they believe nothing will change.  Again, no different than the butterfly keyboard lovers who told me "it's here to stay."  In fact, they told me NOT to rise up.  But I did anyway and wrote Apple a lot of Feedback at that time, and I encouraged others to do so too.  Glad I did.  But I also knew in my heart that bad tech like that wasn't here to stay, and time proved me right.  Ditto for the SD card slot that Apple foolishly removed for a time.  Most people in this very forum screamed at me declaring how they never use it and therefore I ought not to have a use for it either.  What the heck?  They don't need something so I shouldn't either?  Who says that?! Apple then kicked those nuts out the door by bringing the SD card slot back.  Good for Apple!  And good for us in the end!

We see this time and time again.  People in the forums really haven't the faintest idea what they are talking about.  A lot of folks live in the forums and never go outside to see the light of day, choosing instead to incessantly argue points that make no sense.  This "historical perspective" discussion is yet another example.

We can't make the world better unless we try, and in trying, we must be open-minded enough to realize that past decisions made for the greater good haven't always panned out, and therefore we sometimes need to retract those decisions completely.  Remember the Prohibition?  Imagine if that was never retracted!!!

I say we start by eliminating the reason why those cookie notices even exist.  It's not a perfect world.  You can't make it perfect.  What we had before may have been abuse, but the greater abuse comes from Cookie Notices, and now abuse via "Fines and Regulation" against some of the greats like Apple.  Imagine the tech world without Apple.  Then look at all the governments wanting to regulate Apple, as if Apple has done something horrible. Apple really hasn't.  There's no need for EU intervention anymore than there was need for Cookie Notices.  It's all madness created by people who sit around thinking how to modify something else they dislike, all the while not realizing they are screwing it up more than it ever was before.  But then they sit back and laugh because they think they've done something great for the people of the world.  And to make matters even worse, those nuts have got other nuts in the AppleInsider forums who defend their actions.  Crazy!

thtwatto_cobraAllM
  • Reply 46 of 53
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    jdw said:
    avon b7 said:
    jdw said:

Why?
    LOL.  

Now they do. 

The next time I get hit with a ridiculously insane Cookie Notice, I shall remember that some guy in the AppleInsider forum set me and the entire world straight by explaining we need to keep it in "historical perspective."

Yeah...

Oh yeah...

Why people seek to defend the undefendable makes zero sense to me.  I still remember getting a beating in this forum when I said I disliked the butterfly keyboard, and all the status quo worshippers told me "suck it up because it's here to stay!"  They ranted at how they loved it.  

Doesn't matter the topic, we have nuts who will defend anything for having happened, regardless of how bad it turns out to be, because they somehow believe that some action was better than no action.  I disagree profoundly with that.  Sometimes a change really screws things up, and those horrible Cookie Notices are a part of that.  The people of the world should demand the EU capitulate and eliminate those silly notices today.

But most people don't rise up because they believe nothing will change.  Again, no different than the butterfly keyboard lovers who told me "it's here to stay."  In fact, they told me NOT to rise up.  But I did anyway and wrote Apple a lot of Feedback at that time, and I encouraged others to do so too.  Glad I did.  But I also knew in my heart that bad tech like that wasn't here to stay, and time proved me right.  Ditto for the SD card slot that Apple foolishly removed for a time.  Most people in this very forum screamed at me declaring how they never use it and therefore I ought not to have a use for it either.  What the heck?  They don't need something so I shouldn't either?  Who says that?! Apple then kicked those nuts out the door by bringing the SD card slot back.  Good for Apple!  And good for us in the end!

We see this time and time again.  People in the forums really haven't the faintest idea what they are talking about.  A lot of folks live in the forums and never go outside to see the light of day, choosing instead to incessantly argue points that make no sense.  This "historical perspective" discussion is yet another example.

We can't make the world better unless we try, and in trying, we must be open-minded enough to realize that past decisions made for the greater good haven't always panned out, and therefore we sometimes need to retract those decisions completely.  Remember the Prohibition?  Imagine if that was never retracted!!!

I say we start by eliminating the reason why those cookie notices even exist.  It's not a perfect world.  You can't make it perfect.  What we had before may have been abuse, but the greater abuse comes from Cookie Notices, and now abuse via "Fines and Regulation" against some of the greats like Apple.  Imagine the tech world without Apple.  Then look at all the governments wanting to regulate Apple, as if Apple has done something horrible. Apple really hasn't.  There's no need for EU intervention anymore than there was need for Cookie Notices.  It's all madness created by people who sit around thinking how to modify something else they dislike, all the while not realizing they are screwing it up more than it ever was before.  But then they sit back and laugh because they think they've done something great for the people of the world.  And to make matters even worse, those nuts have got other nuts in the AppleInsider forums who defend their actions.  Crazy!

Chill out.  Have a cookie.
    sphericwilliamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,599member
    nubus said:
    jdw said:
    Eh... we do have it better after government decided that MS had to unbundle IE. At the time pages often required ActiveX which only worked on Windows and had a lot of security problems. I couldn't access my online bank from a Mac. Now I can - thanks to government insisting that MS couldn't use Windows as a vehicle to kill competition on browsers. It isn't a free market - but would you really want a market without any standards for food or car or drug safety?
    I don't think you could say that gov't action or regulation caused the decline of IE. IE had pretty close to 90% worldwide marketshare from 2002 to 2004 or so. Its decline started in 2005, 5 years before the MS Windows browser ballot started in the EU, right? The decline also coincided with the Firefox reaching maturity,

The single biggest reason for IE's decline in the aughts was ActiveX and the nightmare that was web-browsing in the aughts. I don't know how many people on this forum were old enough to use computers back then, but web browsing was dangerous activity with IE and Windows in the early 2000s. You were one innocent click away from having cascading, infinite popups, persistent tool bars taking up a rather large portion of your browser, persistent malware that required a format and reinstall to get rid of. This was due to IE/ActiveX's security model.

With Google services becoming popular in the latter half of the aughts and the release of Chrome being the best way to use those services, Chrome rose in share, IE's marketshare decline became permanent. It is curious why MS couldn't develop IE to be competitive, as IE just could not catch up to various WebKit browsers in quality and features. (Their business was not reliant on it, etc?)

The best way to reduce the risk of web browsing back then was to use Firefox, or a Mac or Linux. The iPhone's security model and App Store design was born from the security nightmare in the 2000s. I'd argue it is this security model that allowed consumers to buy and or download software much more safely, and enabled an expansion for the market of software and services.

If governments want to introduce regulation to increase browser choice, they should enforce websites to use Web standards.
    edited January 6 AllM
  • Reply 48 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,956member
    jdw said:
    avon b7 said:
    jdw said:

Why?
    LOL.  

Now they do. 

Yeah...

Oh yeah...

How did you miss this:

Without doubt, when the situation comes up for review, changes will be made. 
    Whichever way you look at it, allowing cookie abuse to go on without informing users wasn't an option. 

EU citizens have strong privacy rights and that's why web sites are required to obtain explicit permission from users about what will be done with privacy data before users access a site. 

https://techcrunch.com/2021/05/30/europes-cookie-consent-reckoning-is-coming/

You shouldn't give a damn about what others think about your opinion so I'm glad you express it nevertheless and I was also critical of the butterfly keyboard. 

Sometimes we'll agree and sometimes we won't.  :)

spheric
  • Reply 49 of 53
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,408member
    Respite said:
    It's 4°C/39°F right now.  Hard not to chill completely out in this weather, my friend.

Regarding web cookies, please know that I use Super Agent for Safari.  It helps keep the madness under control on certain Macs that are able to run it, but I have a lot of computers and mobile devices, and it's not installed on all of them.  And it's not a 100% solution either.  The best solution is to eradicate those cookie notice viruses altogether.  That's really what they are, infecting each and every one of us.

All said, it's proper and correct to pronounce EU as "Eeeeeeeeewwww!" for good reason!

AllM
  • Reply 50 of 53
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,657member
    jdw said:
    Respite said:
    It's 4°C/39°F right now.  Hard not to chill completely out in this weather, my friend.

Regarding web cookies, please know that I use Super Agent for Safari.  It helps keep the madness under control on certain Macs that are able to run it, but I have a lot of computers and mobile devices, and it's not installed on all of them.  And it's not a 100% solution either.  The best solution is to eradicate those cookie notice viruses altogether.  That's really what they are, infecting each and every one of us.
    Yep, I agree. The way to do this is to eliminate the reason they exist — and that's not the EU. 
    Respite
  • Reply 51 of 53
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    jdw said:
    Respite said:

All said, it's proper and correct to pronounce EU as "Eeeeeeeeewwww!" for good reason!
    Stop using bad websites.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    glennhglennh Posts: 73member
    nubus said:
    glennh said:
    Another EU socialist Capo shakedown? Maybe…..
    Where would Apple be without selling to the communists of China, the "socialists" of EU etc.? Well... it would be a very, very small and domestic company mainly operating in the same states as Waffle House. MSFT is about to overtake AAPL and your main focus is on hating 27 democratic countries in Europe. How is that going to help?

• Reply 53 of 53
    glennhglennh Posts: 73member
    About as much as your knowledge of computer, Apple and Microsoft’s histories along with Waffle House locations here in the states……

Btw.. I did not hate on the 27 EU democrat and semi-authoritarian countries. I made a snide remark about the EU constant shakedown of successful companies. I did not see the EU so keen about big tech when Nokia was on top!  

Brexit happened for a reason! 

Eventually, Germany and other stable EU countries will get tired of cleaning up other EU countries incessant financial messes and irresponsibilities. Welcome to Politics and Taxes 101….
    AllM