Second-gen AirTag probably won't ship until 2025

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple's second-generation AirTag won't be shipping in 2024, a report claims, with the next iteration of the tracker apparently delayed due to an inventory surplus of the first model.

The AirTag has become a hugely popular accessory in Apple's catalog, but it seems that consumers may have a long wait ahead of them before being able to buy the next version.

Writing in the "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman claims Apple isn't in any rush to move on to AirTag 2 at the moment. In fact, it may not do so in 2024, and could wait until 2025.

This rumor seems to correlate with another report from October, insisting that manufacturing of AirTag 2 won't start until late 2024 for an early 2025 release.

Gurman adds that the reason for this is due to the AirTag, which Apple "clearly over-produced," with stock in retail stores still high. Warehouses are also said to be "full to the brim with AirTags."

While the first-gen model has proven itself to be very useful, the second-gen version is anticipated to have an upgraded wireless chip to "bring it in line with newer parts inside the latest iPhones and Apple Watches." This could mean the use of a second-generation Ultra Wideband chip, which will supposedly extend the range of the chip.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    maltzmaltz Posts: 488member
    Extended range, especially for Precision Tracking, would be welcome, but it's not really something that's been a problem for me so far.  Otherwise, it's kind of hard to imagine what new generation hardware might bring - maybe other form factors?  Some of the really thin wallet versions from third-parties are nice but lack Precision Tracking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    gtj333gtj333 Posts: 20member
    The potentially valuable update is to make the AirTag rechargeable. The form factor for the AirTag fits the watch charger very well. As Apple moves to reducing waste, a rechargeable AirTag 2 helps get a check in the box and reduce the hassle of changing batteries. Potentially that update enables them to reuse thinner batteries (maybe borrow from apple watch?). 
    elijahgappleinsiderusermike1grandact73watto_cobraiOS_Guy80
  • Reply 3 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,820member
    gtj333 said:
    The potentially valuable update is to make the AirTag rechargeable. The form factor for the AirTag fits the watch charger very well. As Apple moves to reducing waste, a rechargeable AirTag 2 helps get a check in the box and reduce the hassle of changing batteries. Potentially that update enables them to reuse thinner batteries (maybe borrow from apple watch?). 
    I've reduced waste by moving to rechargeable lithium ion 2032 batteries, which extend beyond my many AirTags, and you can do it, too.
    pulseimageswilliamhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Xed said:
    gtj333 said:
    I've reduced waste by moving to rechargeable lithium ion 2032 batteries, which extend beyond my many AirTags, and you can do it, too.
    What brand do you use? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I didn't know that rechargeable button cell batteries existed. I guess you need a special charger. The charger I have only takes size D, C, A,A, and AAA. 

I'd greatly appreciate if you could provide more detail. 

Thanks!
    Tom
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    CT-ENERGY Lithium Rechargeable Coin Cells Battery Charger with 4-Pack 3.7V High Capacity 70mAh LIR2032H Rechargeable Button Batteries,Replace CR2032 3V Battery https://a.co/d/hj9iGYb
    gatorguywatto_cobraiOS_Guy80
  • Reply 7 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    gtj333 said:
    You do realize that adding inductive charging would increase both the size and cost of the AirTags by a not insignificant amount, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Xed said:
    CT-ENERGY Lithium Rechargeable Coin Cells Battery Charger with 4-Pack 3.7V High Capacity 70mAh LIR2032H Rechargeable Button Batteries,Replace CR2032 3V Battery https://a.co/d/hj9iGYb

Rechargeable lithium cells are NOT the same chemistry as lithium coin cells, and are significantly higher voltage.  When fully charged, the voltage difference is 4.2V vs 3V - an increase of 40%.  That'd be like plugging a computer expecting 115V into an outlet supplying 160V!  Some electronics might be okay with that, some might work for a while but under increased stress, and others may just die immediately.

For the effort of changing a coin cell (which you still have to do when the cell is rechargeable) it's not worth the risk for me.  YMMV.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    maltz said:
    Xed said:

Rechargeable lithium cells are NOT the same chemistry as lithium coin cells, and are significantly higher voltage.  When fully charged, the voltage difference is 4.2V vs 3V - an increase of 40%.  That'd be like plugging a computer expecting 115V into an outlet supplying 160V!  Some electronics might be okay with that, some might work for a while but under increased stress, and others may just die immediately.

For the effort of changing a coin cell (which you still have to do when the cell is rechargeable) it's not worth the risk for me.  YMMV.
    You're saying that it's impossible to regulate the stated 3.7V stated by the company? I've been using the same batteries and charger for 3 years now without issue.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Xed said:
    maltz said:
    Xed said:

You're saying that it's impossible to regulate the stated 3.7V stated by the company? I've been using the same batteries and charger for 3 years now without issue.

Possible or not, the voltage being listed as 3.7V shows they're not regulating it.  Full-charge for a 3.7V nominal cell is 4.2V.  And even 3.7V, is a 23% increase above a normal CR2032.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    maltz said:
    Xed said:
    maltz said:
    Xed said:

Possible or not, the voltage being listed as 3.7V shows they're not regulating it.  Full-charge for a 3.7V nominal cell is 4.2V.  And even 3.7V, is a 23% increase above a normal CR2032.
    I can't imagine how I can be certain any battery (or power supply) I use is actively regulating itself properly.
    edited January 9 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,589member
    If anyone is curious why there is no new Airtag until late this year or early next, it's because Apple knows the interoperable cross-platform tracking warnings won't happen before this coming fall, roughly a year beyond the date it was promised. 

Well-played. Google is ready and has already integrated what they can in anticipation of the cross-platform standard, which for now cannot include anything related to Apple, which will not act until late this year at the very earliest. That allows them several more months to clear excess Airtag inventory.

2025 rollout would not shock me.  
    edited January 9
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    If anyone is curious why there is no new Airtag until late this year or early next, it's because Apple knows the interoperable cross-platform tracking warnings won't happen before this coming fall, roughly a year beyond the date it was promised. 

Well-played. Google is ready and has already integrated what they can in anticipation of the cross-platform standard, which for now cannot include anything related to Apple, which will not act until late this year at the very earliest. That allows them several more months to clear excess Airtag inventory.

2025 rollout would not shock me.  
    🙄