How to instantly change text between upper, lower, and title case on a Mac

Posted:
in macOS

If you've ever found yourself needing to change the capitalization of an entire block of text at the same time, you'll know it can be mind-numbingly tedious. Thankfully, there is a way to make things easier on Mac.

On macOs, there are a wealth of options available for quickly toggling capitalization between settings.
On macOS, there is a wealth of options available for quickly toggling capitalization between settings.

Whether it be that something needed to have every letter capitalized, or that you typed something out with caps lock on by accident, sometimes it's too much work to retype a sentence or paragraph to change the capitalization. However, this isn't something you have to do by hand within macOS.

Default macOS apps, such as TextEdit, will have the best behavior when working with the Transform toggles.
Default macOS apps, such as TextEdit, will have the best behavior when working with the Transform toggles.

The simplest way to change the case of your text is built straight into your Mac toolbar, and it is as simple as just a couple of clicks.

How to change between upper, lower, and capitalization using Transformations

1. Highlight the text you want to modify the capitalization of.

2. In the toolbar, click on Edit.

3. In the Edit menu, hover your cursor over Transformations.

4. Select between Make Uppercase, Make Lowercase, and Capitalize.
Any mistaken uses of these options can be quickly undone with the undo command.
Any mistaken uses of these options can be quickly undone with the undo command.

The three options will either change your selected text into all caps, all lowercase, or capitalize the first letter of every selected word. However, you may need something more specific than the three options provided, such as a title case option.

This shortcut is easily put together, and modified if more specific settings are needed.
This shortcut is easily put together and modified if more specific settings are needed.

If your needs lie beyond the toggles already provided area, there is still a way to quickly get the capitalization changes you need on your Mac. To do so, you'll be taking advantage of the Shortcuts app, and setting up just a few simple quick actions to fulfill whatever your needs may be.

How to change between upper, lower, and capitalization using Shortcuts

1. Open the Shortcuts app on your Mac.

2. Create a New Shortcut.

3. In Shortcut Details, tick the boxes for Use as Quick Action, Services Menu, and Provide Output.

4. In the box next Receive, deselect all items aside from Text and Rich Text.

5. In the Action Library, find and select the Change Case action.

6. Drag the Change Case action between your shortcut's Receive and Stop actions.

7. In the last box, change what the text is changed to your preferred capitalization.

8. Name your shortcut whatever you want it to be called, and it is ready to use.
Utilizing all available shortcut options can crowd your services menu.
Utilizing all available shortcut options can crowd your services menu.

Once the shortcut is created and set up, it will be ready for use system-wide. To access your newly created shortcut, click the name of the application you are currently using in the toolbar, hover over the services box, and the shortcut will be available to use in the services dropdown.

The Title Casing option is very intuitive towards correctly capitalizing trickier terms, although results may vary across applications.
The Title Casing option is very intuitive towards correctly capitalizing trickier terms, although results may vary across applications.

Should the options provided by your Mac trip over certain words, you can further tweak the shortcut(s) you've created to better fit your exact needs with the use of actions such as the Replace Text action for more specific needs.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I wonder if this Services trick works around Transformations (and lots of other default MacOS text handling, like Lookup) not working in Microsoft apps? I’ll have to try it next time I’m on MacOS…
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Nice tip. 
    I was very confused at the beginning because I was wondering about the reference to the “toolbar” since it’s different in every app. 
    Then I realized you mean the menubar. Edit menu is found there. Might need to correct the article.
    ilarynxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Love It! Great for those Applications that don't provide direct access to the Transformations sub-menu in the Edit menu. Yes, it works in Microsoft apps (but sadly not Messages). You can also use Ask each time as the type of case:

ilarynxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    afstein said:
    Nice tip. 
    I was very confused at the beginning because I was wondering about the reference to the “toolbar” since it’s different in every app. 
    Then I realized you mean the menubar. Edit menu is found there. Might need to correct the article.
    Good catch. Yes, the Toolbar is at the top of each window while the Menubar is at the top of the screen

Hopefully a correct will be forthcoming as the typo in the article is misleading and confusing read as is. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I agree, very confusing. I opened a text file with TextEdit, selected some text and the only 'Edit' button I could see was in the app 'toolbar' on the left hand side, nothing on the right in the 'Menubar'. This really needs to be rewritten to tell me how to get this 'Edit' button, and not assume that everybody has made this modification. These tips need to assume that most people are running stock OS releases. [Sonoma 14.2.1]
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    You can also access both the built in Transformations sub-menu (with its three standard choices) and the Services sub-menu (with any new text changing shortcuts) from the right-click (control-click, contextual click, two-finger click, or secondary-click) menu. That's quite handy as one (or both) of those options is right there when you need it.

Shame it's so inconsistent about which applications offer which choices by what route!
    By the way @tjones99ca, all these tips work at least as early as Ventura 13.x. The built-in transformations have worked for years before that too!
    edited January 8 lotoneswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    phredphred Posts: 19member
    The writer does not explain that this feature seems only to work with safari browser.Please do not omit information.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    phred said:
    The writer does not explain that this feature seems only to work with safari browser.Please do not omit information.
    That's because it's an MacOS feature that works in most applications, in those places that allow text entry/editing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    So I tested this by capitalizing a file name. There was no "Transformations" option in the menu bar/edit menu. So I right clicked the highlighted file name and voila!... there it was.

Very helpful. Thanks!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Hey all! Better than this, just use this app I made - it’s called SHOUT. It’s free, lives in your menu bar, and doesn’t collect any information. https://shout.framer.website/

For those of you who want to know why it’s called SHOUT: I frequently need to upload documents for work that require parts of it to be in full caps. And things in full caps are known to be considered shouting. So… SHOUT 

hope you all like it 
    watto_cobra