Prescription lenses for Apple Vision Pro are cheaper than expected

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited January 8

Apple has announced two lens families for its forthcoming Apple Vision Pro, a Reader option and full Zeiss prescription lenses, both for considerably less than predicted.

A Zeiss optical insert lens, at least similar to the ones being prepared for Vision Pro (Source: Zeiss)
A Zeiss optical insert lens, at least similar to the ones being prepared for Vision Pro (Source: Zeiss)

Based on Zeiss's work with other companies, it was previously rumored that Apple Vision Pro would have prescription lenses that cost between $300 and $600. Now that Apple has announced a shipping date for Vision Pro, it has also revealed that add-ons for vision improvement will cost either $99, or $149.

"For those with vision correction needs," says Apple, "ZEISS Optical Inserts are available with a prescription or as readers that magnetically attach to Vision Pro, allowing users to take full advantage of the display's incredible sharpness and clarity."

A Reader is similar to the kind of glasses sold as reading glasses, and are not prescription. It's not clear yet whether it will be necessary to specify prescription lenses to be inserted into the Vision Pro at time of order, or whether they can be bought later.

Zeiss itself has only referred to its inserts, and even then not given more detail beyond an image showing an eye-shaped lens that is made for including within the Vision Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,496member
    Wonder if bifocals are in needed? Focal distance is basically constant, so no need?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,079member
    tht said:
    Wonder if bifocals are in needed? Focal distance is basically constant, so no need?
    This is very much an important consideration for me. It is not clear (!) to me if I can even use this device. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,128member
    tht said:
    You should just need whichever single lens (for each eye) works for you at the focal distance of the display.

It'll be interesting to see what documentation Apple publishes for your optometrist to reference.
    dewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Not surprising. Apple just inflates prices for SSD and RAM.

Wonder if these could be charged to Vision Insurance or HSA.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,496member
    mknelson said:
    tht said:
    You should just need whichever single lens (for each eye) works for you at the focal distance of the display.

It'll be interesting to see what documentation Apple publishes for your optometrist to reference.
    I actually have 3 different prescriptions. ;)

I'm old and nearsighted, so I need a lens for seeing far, a lens for seeing something 12 to 20 inches away, though I seem to prefer no glasses for tablet and phone distances now, and a lens for 20 to 30 inches away for computer monitors.

The focal distance in the VP looks to be about 40 inches or so based on the promotion materials so far. So, uh, a 4th prescription?

Anyways, first and foremost is I easily get motion sick from 3D games and simulators. I'm not touching it until I hear testimonials on that.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    My guess is one will specify their prescription and an algorithm will specify the lenses required for best results.
    edited January 8 Alex1Nbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    That's still 20-80% more expensive than the most expensive options from other vendors.  I wonder if they will include some of the extras that other vendors supply, or if those extras will even be necessary.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 8
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 696member
    I'm nearsighted and use prescription reading glasses for my computer, tuned to sharpness around 20".
    I have a very slight astigmatism in one eye.
    However, I don't use glasses when I am reading something in my hand, because I don't need them there.
    I assume I will need these lenses, but right now I'm honestly not sure.
    I have a very specific and sensitive prescription for my regular glasses and reading glasses.
    I need more info and they better be prepared to fix issues with alterations to prescriptions.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra