Twilio is killing off the Authy desktop app, but Mac users have a work-around

Posted:
in Mac Software

Twilio, the maker of two-factor authentication app Authy, will be discontinuing its native desktop apps for all platforms in August, forcing users to switch over to its mobile version -- but Mac users have a work-around.

Authy
Authy

Two-factor authentication apps that can work with multiple services are an essential part of online life, but one will be limiting the options of its users. Twilio, the company behind Authy, says it will be streamlining its focus to its mobile apps, at the expense of its desktop versions.

In a support document first reported by Bleeping Computer, the End of Life for Authy for Desktop is set for August 2024. This includes the desktop apps for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

"We made this difficult decision to sunset the Twilio Authy desktop apps in order to streamline our focus and provide more value on existing product solutions for which we see increasing demand," the page states.

Instead, Authy users are recommended to switch to its mobile apps, including its iOS version. Though the macOS app won't be usable from August, the page does add that the iOS app will still be downloadable and work on Apple Silicon Macs.

For users who want to shift to other apps, Twilio warns that the Authy app doesn't have an export feature, so users will have to disable then re-enable 2FA and re-add the token to their new application. However, it is advised that users do not delete their tokens stored on Authy before setting up their new app, due to the chance of being locked out of accounts.

If users switch to the mobile edition, they can take advantage of the Authy backup feature to automatically synchronize tokens between apps.

The sunsetting of apps is announced on the same day as co-founder Jeff Lawson steps down from the role of CEO and from the Twilio Board of Directors. He is replaced by Jeff Epstein as Chair, and Khozema Shipchandler as CEO.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Don't use Apps for 2FA but just use Apple's internal 2FA management (included in "passwords").
    Much more secure, less attack surface, better privacy and a lot more easier.

Also 2FA is good but prefer PassKeys if possible.
    omasouchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 126member
    Why? Seems like a stupid decision. Many IT people use those apps and offers free brand visibility to then
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    I ditched this app long ago and as mentioned above, I use the MacOS/iOS password manager 2FA feature instead.
    edited January 8 olschasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    I don't find a 2FA option in Settings -> Passwords, or in Keychain.  Where can I add my token/seed or create new 2FA?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    nicholfd said:
    I don't find a 2FA option in Settings -> Passwords, or in Keychain.  Where can I add my token/seed or create new 2FA?
    In Settings->Passwords:
    After you save a new password/account, you will have a place to set up a 'Verification Code' under Account Options using the QR code or setup key.
    chasmwatto_cobramweber
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    nicholfd said:
    In Settings->Passwords:
    After you save a new password/account, you will have a place to set up a 'Verification Code' under Account Options using the QR code or setup key.
    Thanks - I've never noticed that button!

For some reason the option to use "key/seed" is grayed out for me:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Authy is annoying because, whilst they do use the standard TOTP mechanisms (as supported with Google Authenticator, or 1Password), they use 7 digits instead of the normal 6 and make it hard to get the seed value to use in another app.

So it seems they’ve come up with another way to be annoying -  bravo Twilio.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jrg_uk said:
    Authy is annoying because, whilst they do use the standard TOTP mechanisms (as supported with Google Authenticator, or 1Password), they use 7 digits instead of the normal 6 and make it hard to get the seed value to use in another app.

So it seems they’ve come up with another way to be annoying -  bravo Twilio.
    I've used Authy just fine with with 6 digit seed values.  This may depend on who is providing you the seed...