Ordering Apple Vision Pro gets more complex with face scan

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Customers hoping to get one of the few Apple Vision Pro units at launch will have to jump through a few hoops first, including a face scan.

A close-up view of the Apple Vision Pro headset strap with fine texture, a gray fabric, and an orange adjustment tab, against a blurry white background.
Apple Vision Pro strap

Apple Vision Pro is a complicated product that needs various accessories sized to fit the visor to the user's face. Because of this, Apple will require users to perform a 3D scan of their face for accurate measuring via the Apple Store app while ordering.

Code for the face scan was discovered by MacRumors in the Apple Store app, which includes text that reads, "You may scan your face to determine your size for Apple Vision Pro." This scan likely isn't mandatory, but it provides users with sizing information so they don't have to guess at checkout.

Apple says it will offer different-sized head straps and light seals to ensure everyone gets a good fit. What sizes are available has not been shared, but Apple will include both a Solo Knit Band and a Dual Loop Band in the packaging.

Apple Vision Pro pre-orders begin on January 19, and customers will have to order sight unseen. Having the Apple Store app on iPhone scan the user's face is a useful addition, but it adds seconds during a checkout process where every moment is precious.

Rumors from supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggest that availability will be severely limited at launch. There could be as few as 60,000 units shipping for the February 2 launch.

We're hopeful that Apple will introduce pre-order options prior to January 19 so customers can configure their order before the frenzy, similar to how iPhone pre-orders work. Information about storage tiers and other accessory options remains scarce.

Apple Vision Pro is up for pre-order on January 19 and ships on February 2. It starts at $3,499 with 256GB of storage.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Yup, we've known about the required facial scanning for proper fit since June.
    I'm curious how big of a fiasco it's going to be to go into an Apple Store to demo a unit. They should do it by appointment with a required face scan before the appointment so everything is ready for you to try out. If they're just allowing everyone to come in to wait around in the store for one of the scarce demo units to be available, then having to go through a fitting and set up process along with being trained how to use it, man that will be a disaster with the time involved and so many waiting around to try it. But on the other hand, I can see people going to the store to try it out and being told, oh you have to make an appointment, the next one is in 3 weeks, and that not going over too well with customers either, so who knows.
    edited January 11 WhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    That sounds like a benefit considering the fit of VR headsets is a major pain point and Apple has years of experience with secure and private face scanning.
    gregoriusmronnWhiskeyAPPLEcidergrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    I'm curious how big of a fiasco it's going to be to go into an Apple Store to demo a unit. They should do it by appointment with a required face scan before the appointment so everything is ready for you to try out. If they're just allowing everyone to come in to wait around in the store for one of the scarce demo units to be available, then having to go through a fitting and set up process along with being trained how to use it, man that will be a disaster with the time involved and so many waiting around to try it. But on the other hand, I can see people going to the store to try it out and being told, oh you have to make an appointment, the next one is in 3 weeks, and that not going over too well with customers either, so who knows.
    At $3,500, no one is really interested in this at all.  So probably won't be any lines of people waiting to try it because people would rather spend $3,500 on anything else.  This product does not solve any problems and AR/VR has never been a popular item for decades.  People don't want to wear googles to run apps or watch movies.  The battery is about 2 hours unless you are physically tied to a power source.  Apple created something that no one really has any desire for.  Maybe super rich people that have nothing better to spend money on.  No one bought iPod Hi-Fi, and that was only $349.  No one bought the $10,000 Apple Watch Gold either and Apple said you had to have an appointment to see it.  The iPhone captured the smartphone market.  This captures no market at all.  Big difference.  I love Apple and have been using Apple products since 1989, but you have to wonder why Apple even made this product when consumers are not really into that product category at all.  Very few consumers use AR for games.

And remember, most consumers wear prescription lenses so another $150 for special lenses will a big deal breaker, especially when prescriptions typically change year after year for people that do wear glasses.
    edited January 11 designrM68000williamlondongrandact73damn_its_hotAlex1N9secondkox2
  • Reply 4 of 18
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    The scalpers will have to buy one in every size ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    M68000M68000 Posts: 734member
    Rogue01 said:
    At $3,500, no one is really interested in this at all.  So probably won't be any lines of people waiting to try it because people would rather spend $3,500 on anything else.  This product does not solve any problems and AR/VR has never been a popular item for decades.  People don't want to wear googles to run apps or watch movies.  The battery is about 2 hours unless you are physically tied to a power source.  Apple created something that no one really has any desire for.  Maybe super rich people that have nothing better to spend money on.  No one bought iPod Hi-Fi, and that was only $349.  No one bought the $10,000 Apple Watch Gold either and Apple said you had to have an appointment to see it.  The iPhone captured the smartphone market.  This captures no market at all.  Big difference.  I love Apple and have been using Apple products since 1989, but you have to wonder why Apple even made this product when consumers are not really into that product category at all.  Very few consumers use AR for games.

And remember, most consumers wear prescription lenses so another $150 for special lenses will a big deal breaker, especially when prescriptions typically change year after year for people that do wear glasses.
    Very realistic post.  There will be initial interest from some people.  But, the general public has no interest.  Asking people to strap a computer on their head is a huge ask.  It may be a technically interesting device but who is going to buy into this?  I’ve seen comments it’s going to replace TV’s and monitors.  What?  LOL.  Not replacing anything i use.  If worn too long, I can see this thing being bad for people’s hair too. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondongrandact73Alex1N9secondkox2
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Rogue01 said:

Interest in buying it will be low; yes you are right on that point, and certainly wrote a lot in support of it; however that has absolutely nothing to do with the masses of people that will want to try this thing (nor will that change the fact that this will sell out). Interest in trying out the newest and one of the most technologically advanced consumer products on the market? Will be HIGH. Who the hell wouldn't want to try this thing out? Hence my speculation concerning the demo process (not how many people have any desire to fork over that kind of money).
    ronnjohnfrombeyond9secondkox2iOS_Guy80watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Rogue01 said:

I’m interested, and I would be even if it were twice the price.  You seem to think that everyone is you — can’t afford it, doesn’t understand it, no imagination.  
    williamlondondamn_its_hotbaconstang9secondkox2iOS_Guy80watto_cobrajwdawso
  • Reply 8 of 18
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    The second-hand market is going to be a big mess.   Between head scans, and needing new prescription lenses for probably 50% of potential owners, if it’s unpopular, it will be relegated to the “buy it, but can’t use it” group.  

Is Apple going to support VP retrofit parts?   It’s like buying a used suit and needing to get it tailored, but only the original manufacturer can do it.   Or worse, inferior Chinese parts.  

I’m still optimistic… for gen 2 or 3, at least.  
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Second head market in this case.
    eriamjh said:
    The second-hand market is going to be a big mess. 
    muthuk_vanalingamthtwilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Rogue01 said:

Cmon now This item will sell out and on back order for months it will be extremely popular 
    ronnwilliamlondon9secondkox2iOS_Guy80watto_cobrajwdawso
  • Reply 11 of 18
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,113member
    I too think that lots of people will want to try it, but not many will feel compelled to spend that kind of money on the first generation device. It seems like incredible technology, but the battery life and comfort will need to be worked out in future iterations. Right now, there’s a somewhat awkward-seeming 2-hour external battery, but the bigger limitation might be the comfort; I think Marques Brownlee said that it was very impressive, but after 15 minutes he was ready to take it off, due to the weight. But hopefully we’ll all be so blown away that we won’t be able to resist the temptation. 
    ronnwilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    This is a reminder than even businesses who might have the money to purchase something like this will be even less likely to do so, because it can't even be shared among employees. And when employees turn over, major hassle to get the next one fitted. As others pointed out, the second hand market will be tiny and those that do purchase used ones (and ignore sizing) will have a less than ideal experience with it.

There will be keen interest in this product, but not enough consumers will own one to justify software development on a killer app for it. Classic chicken-and-egg situation on bleeding edge technology. I'd buy stock in companies who make cheaper inferior products that tap into the huge interest in Vision Pro.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 18
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,576member
    When Apple scans your face, will it retain that biometric data, (which the government could have access to with a warrant) or will Apple throw away the data immediately after purchase (which would force a new scan if you ever go back for a re-fit?)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Rogue01 said:
    you have to wonder why Apple even made this product when consumers are not really into that product category at all.
    Once they were able to make the display so you couldn't see the pixels and it felt like an exact blend of real and digital content, the experience of feeling like stepping into a movie would have been enough to convince them to take it to market.

Some experiences will leave people stunned like having a virtual human in front of them. Not a CGI-looking human but a real-time stereo projection of a person.

In this video 0:23, someone could be watching a nature documentary and see a whale breaching from the floor of their living room:

People who previewed movies on it scaled up to a billboard size said they wouldn't want to watch movies any other way.

Being able to lay back on a bed or lounger and have a giant Mac/iOS screen floating will feel more comfortable than holding an iPad.

At the right price, millions of people will want these experiences.
    ronnAlex1Nwilliamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,355member
    When Apple scans your face, will it retain that biometric data, (which the government could have access to with a warrant) or will Apple throw away the data immediately after purchase (which would force a new scan if you ever go back for a re-fit?)
    If building a sentient automaton that will allow surreptitiously replacing an individual human, to be swiftly disposed of by necessity, is "retaining biometric data', then yes.

BTW, what a great Apple+ series this would make; go to the Apple store, try out the headset, and get replaced in the immediate future by a doppelgänger.

This is going to make Mark Zuckerberg really, really apoplectic; it is his idea, after all, and Mark should be able to capitalize on that.
    edited January 12 ronnAlex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,576member
    tmay said:
    If building a sentient automaton that will allow surreptitiously replacing an individual human, to be swiftly disposed of by necessity, is "retaining biometric data', then yes.

BTW, what a great Apple+ series this would make; go to the Apple store, try out the headset, and get replaced in the immediate future by a doppelgänger.

This is going to make Mark Zuckerberg really, really apoplectic; it is his idea, after all, and Mark should be able to capitalize on that.
    Apple's FaceID biometrics (also the TouchID biometrics) are not accessible to Apple or the government, but you aren't concerned that Apple's Vision Pro biometrics will be?
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Marvin said:
    Rogue01 said:
    you have to wonder why Apple even made this product when consumers are not really into that product category at all.
    Once they were able to make the display so you couldn't see the pixels and it felt like an exact blend of real and digital content, the experience of feeling like stepping into a movie would have been enough to convince them to take it to market.

Some experiences will leave people stunned like having a virtual human in front of them. Not a CGI-looking human but a real-time stereo projection of a person.

In this video 0:23, someone could be watching a nature documentary and see a whale breaching from the floor of their living room:

People who previewed movies on it scaled up to a billboard size said they wouldn't want to watch movies any other way.

Being able to lay back on a bed or lounger and have a giant Mac/iOS screen floating will feel more comfortable than holding an iPad.

That sounds like a nightmare. Laying in bed while your face is pressurized to a device, the back of your head being smushed against the bulky part of the head strap that will simultaneously be pressed against whatever surface (pillow, etc) you’ll be resting on… big no thank you. An iPad connected to an arm suspended from the side or a ceiling mount tv far better. 

a whale breaching from my floor would be coolin a fishing sim game,  it as part of a documentary, it destroys the realism and takes the true environment away. Not a great use-case. 

Most of the things you mention are reminiscent of previous of hee-whiz, nerd factor stuff that isn’t very compelling or comfortable in real life. 

The vr headset space is what it is. Apple’s offering seems more refined and better spec’d. But even it can’t overcome the inherent flaws of the headset concept. It’s a niche item. But it’s not some end alone all game changer for cinema, productivity, communications, etc. with all the push cook is Ive my this, it appears there will be some hard lessons learned here. 
    edited January 13
  • Reply 18 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,714member
    Marvin said:
    Rogue01 said:

That sounds like a nightmare. Laying in bed while your face is pressurized to a device, the back of your head being smushed against the bulky part of the head strap that will simultaneously be pressed against whatever surface (pillow, etc) you’ll be resting on… big no thank you. An iPad connected to an arm suspended from the side or a ceiling mount tv far better. 

a whale breaching from my floor would be coolin a fishing sim game,  it as part of a documentary, it destroys the realism and takes the true environment away. Not a great use-case. 

Most of the things you mention are reminiscent of previous of hee-whiz, nerd factor stuff that isn’t very compelling or comfortable in real life. 

The vr headset space is what it is. Apple’s offering seems more refined and better spec’d. But even it can’t overcome the inherent flaws of the headset concept. It’s a niche item. But it’s not some end alone all game changer for cinema, productivity, communications, etc. with all the push cook is Ive my this, it appears there will be some hard lessons learned here. 
    I agree with what you are saying. The VP is largely a souped up version of technology that is already out there and comes with a corresponding price tag. 

A lot of the inconveniences remain and will stay for a while. 

However, it needs to get a chance at market acceptance and further development. 

I'm a fan but I've always been a fan of this technology and that's why my wife likes her Quest in spite of those inconveniences, which are even greater on a far cheaper and older technology.

The promise has always been there, waiting for technology to solve the problems. That is happening (slowly) but I'm happy for those who are willing to cough up the money to beta test things and help economies of scale bring things to a wider market.

I'd rather it came to market than not. 

It's like folding phones. First units were ultra expensive and had more tradeoffs. The success story was that people loved them and the folding market hasn't stopped growing (or improving) since. 

In the case of the VP there is a major technology point that is beyond Apple's control: 5.5G.

Until 10gbps internet connections are commonplace it will be limited to a strictly 'local' framework scenario with regular internet access. It won't be until utrafast, QoS, low latency content becomes available that any XR units will be able to fully shine. 
    ronn