Apple offers Austin relocation to 121 San Diego employees in office closure

Posted:
in General Discussion

A 121-employee Siri team in San Diego is being disbanded, a report claims, with the Data Operations Annotations group being offered similar roles in Apple's Austin offices instead of being laid off.

A rendering of Apple's plans for its $1B Austin, Texas campus.
A rendering of Apple's plans for its $1B Austin, Texas campus.

Employees working at the Data Operations Annotations group in San Diego, which works to improve Siri by analyzing vocal queries from users, were told of major changes to their job on Wednesday, people with knowledge of the matter claim. The San Diego office is to close, but with Apple intending to retain as many staff from the team as possible.

The team will be integrated into their counterparts at a similar office in Austin, Texas, with the 121 San Diego employees offered to retain their jobs if they're willing to relocate, reports Bloomberg. Workers have until the end of February to decide, with terminations occurring in late April.

An Apple spokesperson confirmed the relocation was to happen, with the Austin office being "where a majority of the team is already based." Additionally, "everyone currently employed will have the opportunity to continue their role with Apple in Austin."

Employees who elect for relocation will get a $7,000 stipend for the move. Those who choose to be laid off will get four weeks of severance pay, with an additional week for every year worked for the company, and six months of health insurance coverage.

The relocation was seemingly a surprise to the employees, as they had allegedly been told that they would be relocated to a new Apple campus in the area at the end of January. Apple also apparently handed out packing boxes in preparation for a relocation within the same city.

Report sources believe that many affected employees won't be taking up Apple's relocation offer. Furthermore, there is the feeling that, while those same workers can apply for other jobs within Apple, many on the team don't have the right engineering backgrounds to make a lateral job switch.

While the potential loss of up to 121 employees is a lot for Apple, it's far from the mass layoffs that occurred in Big Tech companies throughout 2023. While Meta, Amazon, and others cut tens of thousands of jobs collectively, Apple managed to avoid being part of the group, thanks in part to not over-hiring employees during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Ugh, having to trade San Diego for Texas!
    charlesnchasmronnstevegeeforegoneconclusionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Hey there, female Apple employees, good news! You can keep your jobs if you'll move to The Misogyny State! 
    damn_its_hotOferchasmronnstevegeerobin huberwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    charlesn said:
    Hey there, female Apple employees, good news! You can keep your jobs if you'll move to The Misogyny State! 
    This! Who would want to make that trade?!
    chasmronnstevegeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    Disney tried to move Animators to a similar red state they refused, and if you have a family and a house in California a 7,000 dollar stipend won't cover anything. Notwithstanding that Austin is somewhat big you have to be careful that you aren't moving to a one horse town in your discipline which companies love don't take Apples word for it.
    edited January 14 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    "Friendship" is the state motto of Texas.

With friends like these, who needs enemies.  :p
    ronnstevegeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    This is extremely sucky on Apple's part. The only employees that are safe to move to Texas are the straight white male ones, and not even all of them won't have other reasons why they can't do it. So it's layoffs by another name and an especially mean FU to all the women and LGBTQ+ employees affected. And yes, their likewise customers are watching this.

and they wonder why people want to unionize...
    ronnwilliamlondonstevegeedanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    ronnronn Posts: 658member

“We've been part of the community in San Diego for more than two decades and are thrilled to continue investing here as we expand our world-class teams.” – Apple, July 2022

“Decide on moving to Austin, Texas in ~45 days or else!” – Apple, January 2024

What an incredible F-You by Apple :#

williamlondonstevegeewatto_cobragrandact73
  • Reply 8 of 19
    GROSS what a total downgrade and what a cheap relocation offer. Anyone who does that is going to suffer on so many levels. From the out-of-pocket expense of relocating to Texas (WHO EATS PICKLES AT THE MOVIES??) to the future loss of income for homeowners. Homes in CA especially in SD are going to appreciate in value more than TX. Then there's the general lack of progressive laws and thinking. Oh I forgot that you're also moving from a coastal area with the highest happiness quotient in the USA to inland the capital of a state that is anti-LGBTQ, anti-woman's rights, pro-gun, and pro-racist.

Instead of Apple doubling down on TX, they should be looking to eliminate their corporate presence there in protest over the backward laws of the state. Just goes to show greed motivates all. 
    edited January 14 ronnrobin huber
  • Reply 9 of 19
    iadlib said:
    GROSS what a total downgrade and what a cheap relocation offer. Anyone who does that is going to suffer on so many levels. From the out-of-pocket expense of relocating to Texas (WHO EATS PICKLES AT THE MOVIES??) to the future loss of income for homeowners. Homes in CA especially in SD are going to appreciate in value more than TX. Then there's the general lack of progressive laws and thinking. Oh I forgot that you're also moving from a coastal area with the highest happiness quotient in the USA to inland the capital of a state that is anti-LGBTQ, anti-woman's rights, pro-gun, and pro-racist.

Instead of Apple doubling down on TX, they should be looking to eliminate their corporate presence there in protest over the backward laws of the state. Just goes to show greed motivates all. 
    Amen. Progressive companies should stop propping up the economy of regressive States. 
    ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Too many CA transplants and before long the Red state turn blue and business has to begin to look to relocate again.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    I get this but still, it's at least the blue portion of the red state so it's not quite a bad. It's like where I live in Orlando where yeah it's in Florida but it's nothing like the majority of the state. Is that enough for some people? IDK...
    fred1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Sad to say I fell for the Austin hype and relocated there briefly two years ago. Worst year of my life in a tiny overpriced apartment. Everyone I met either a) just got there too or b) was holding on to their long paid-off houses for dear life or c) on their way out to Dallas and beyond. Anything great about Austin (people, local business, neighborhoods) is gone or is quickly disappearing. The simple charm of a craftsman home in a desirable tree lined neighborhood is way out of reach for most people and even then, not worth the price. I had electric and internet outages more often in that one year than my entire lifetime in various other states (both red and blue). Looking back I was caught up in the hype of podcasters and billionaires, but the day-to-day reality I found was B-list tech jobs in a red state with $30 sandwiches and $200 gyms.
    edited January 15 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    iadlib said:

Amen. Progressive companies should stop propping up the economy of regressive States. 
    California is in a financial mess, with a 68 billion dollar budget deficit. Progressive policies have destroyed that state, probably forever. 
    sambrannon@gmail.comwilliamlondonwatto_cobragrandact73
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Whatever the problems there are in California, they are worse in Texas. If you are a woman of child bearing age or have any in your family, DO NOT move to Texas. 

Then there’s housing…everything on the I35 corridor is bloated like a rotting whale carcass. Add to that high mortgage interest rates and this place is in the same boat as California. 

Want me to move into education? The geniuses in our state legislature have consistently underfunded Texas public schools and have consistently overloaded them with unrealistic mandates, all underfunded. (I work closely with the state legislature so I know what I’m talking about.)

There are two things you’ll probably get in Texas. A job and a gun. The police (all terribly underfunded) barely enforce traffic laws unless you’re living in a wealthy area. 

And lastly, whatever you save in state income tax you’ll lose in State mandated fees (a tax without calling it a tax) and your insurance rates. 

This is no panacea. We still have plenty of Klansmen in east Texas too. So in Texas, DON’T be black, poor, middle income, or. woman of child bearing age. 
    ronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobragodofbiscuitssf
  • Reply 15 of 19
    hexclock said:
    iadlib said:

California is in a financial mess, with a 68 billion dollar budget deficit. Progressive policies have destroyed that state, probably forever. 
    It appears someone watches too much Fox "News".  Equally apparent someone has probably never lived in San Diego or anywhere else in California.  If they say otherwise I would have to assume that they are a liar -- oh, sorry, I'm sure they just have "alternative" facts.
    ronnwatto_cobrachasmgodofbiscuitssf
  • Reply 16 of 19
    There is a reason California is number  one in people leaving the state. Overpriced housing, overstuffed roads and anti business, most companies that can are looking to shrink their California footprint, Apple is no different.  If it weren't for the, weather which I like , the state would be emptying even faster.  And Austin is leading Texas into becoming the next California minus the good weather.

watto_cobragrandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 19
    macxpress said:
    I get this but still, it's at least the blue portion of the red state so it's not quite a bad. It's like where I live in Orlando where yeah it's in Florida but it's nothing like the majority of the state. Is that enough for some people? IDK...

Of course it is.  State laws still apply. Austin doesn’t get to override anything about women’s rights. Or gun laws. Or LGBTQ anything.  Texas is Texas.  
    ronn
  • Reply 18 of 19

There is a reason California is number  one in people leaving the state. Overpriced housing, overstuffed roads and anti business, most companies that can are looking to shrink their California footprint, Apple is no different.  If it weren't for the, weather which I like , the state would be emptying even faster.  And Austin is leading Texas into becoming the next California minus the good weather.

And it’s increasingly obvious that businesses don’t give a flying f*** about human beings.  CA is an “at will” employment state, so it’s just plain lying to call it anti business. It’s got the largest economy of any state.  Apple has been expanding all over for a very long time, so to try to ascribe this as some kind of CA to TX exodus is just plain wrong. 
    williamlondonronn
  • Reply 19 of 19
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This forum has become a disgusting cesspool.