Apple marks Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day with homepage memorial

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple has honored Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on its homepage, with a memorial accompanied by a free book about the civil rights movement leader.

Apple's homepage for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2024
Apple's homepage for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2024

January 15 is Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the United States, and Apple has again marked the occasion with a temporary replacement of the front page of its website.

Apple has, since 2015, switched its homepage to show a single image of Dr. King. Just as in previous years, the image is accompanied by an inspirational quote, as well as a free copy of a book from Apple Books.

The quote, "Because of our involvement in humanity, we must be concerned about every human being," stems from his commencement address at Morehouse College in 1959.

Apple follows the quote with the statement "We honor the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and reflect on his legacy of service to all."

Apple includes a link to the book "The Essential Martin Luther King, Jr." which is available on Apple Books for free. The book is a collection of writings and speeches by Dr. King, edited and with a foreword by Clayborne Carson.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    This is a great opportunity to read in its entirety Dr. King’s famous speech from the March on Washington. 

There’s a lot there that is still applicable today. Far too often, people quote the one “content of their character” line out of context in order to use it to say almost exactly the opposite of what Dr. King said in that speech. So take a few minutes and read or listen to the whole thing. It was important then, and it’s important now. 
    ronnAppleishjSnivelydrdavidOferAlex_V
  • Reply 2 of 7
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    AppleZulu said:
    This is a great opportunity to read in its entirety Dr. King’s famous speech from the March on Washington. 

There’s a lot there that is still applicable today. Far too often, people quote the one “content of their character” line out of context in order to use it to say almost exactly the opposite of what Dr. King said in that speech. So take a few minutes and read or listen to the whole thing. It was important then, and it’s important now. 
    Thank you! 
    AppleZuluAlex_V
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I can't wait for Washington's birthday. Or Lincoln's. Apple must really be cooking up an extravaganza to celebrate two men without whom our nation would not exist. I suppose it would be asking too much to do anything for Jefferson.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 218member
    I can't wait for Washington's birthday. Or Lincoln's. Apple must really be cooking up an extravaganza to celebrate two men without whom our nation would not exist. I suppose it would be asking too much to do anything for Jefferson.
    Bah humbug!
    ronn
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator

President's day exists... 
    ronnAlex_V
  • Reply 6 of 7
    For 200+ years in this country, honors and recognition of important white men wasn't just the default, but was pretty much it, all the time, every time. So it's kind of funny now, when somebody else gets some sort of special recognition, some folks have to come out of the woodwork to act like something's unfairly been taken away from them. 
    edited January 16 ronnAlex_V
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jSnively said:

President's day exists... 
    I mean honestly, it's like a group of bratty kids in kindergarten who have been hogging the swings at recess all week. Finally realizing what's been going on, the teacher intervenes on Friday afternoon so that some other kids can have a shot at it. Then the bratty kids stand there, shoulders hunched, arms crossed and brows furrowed: "Oh we're taking turns now? Well, it's our turn next, or it's no fair!"
    edited January 16 ronnAlex_V