Apple prepares to enable sideloading and App Store changes in EU

Posted:
in iOS edited January 15

Apple may enable users to sideload apps on iPhones and iPads in Europe within weeks, an act that will also see Apple split the App Store into two versions.

European Union flags fluttering with a backdrop of a modern building's glass facade.
European flags

Europe's Digital Markets Act has caused headaches for tech companies, including Apple, with the aim of leveling the playing field and reducing the power of so-called gatekeepers.

Apple has anticipated that the DMA will force it into enabling third-party app storefronts alongside the App Store itself on its devices, but according to one report, it may actually happen within weeks.

According to Mark Gurman in a paid-only part of the "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg on Sunday, Apple is preparing to enable sideloading in Europe "in the coming weeks." The move will enable third-party app stores to be installed on iPhones and iPads without needing to comply with Apple's App Store rules.

However, the change apparently won't be affecting all iPhone and iPad users, as it will be limited to only European devices.

As a byproduct of the change, Apple will also split the App Store into two versions, with one covering EU member states and the other for the rest of the world. While the reasoning for this wasn't spelled out, it is likely to be a move to make it easier for Apple to comply with EU rules without making changes affecting other markets.

While there's a report claiming the changes are inbound, they may not necessarily occur. In November, Apple filed a legal challenge over the demand for third-party app stores, and has even "corrected" the European Union over the number of App Stores it actually runs.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Good luck Europe. Prepare to be controlled by your government requiring loading of government-sponsored malware tracking your every movement without any need for a warrant. The first third-party app storefront will be controlled by your local police force, requiring every citizen to load government specific software. In many cases you won't even know they're loading monitoring software, you'll be required to load a government app that includes voter ID, driver's license, etc. Everything in one app will be presented as software everyone needs for taxes and every other government process. Guess what's going to also be loaded in the background .... yep, monitoring software so they know where you're at and what you're doing. Have fun!!
    danoxwatto_cobraAllM
  • Reply 2 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    rob53 said:
    Good luck Europe. Prepare to be controlled by your government requiring loading of government-sponsored malware tracking your every movement without any need for a warrant. The first third-party app storefront will be controlled by your local police force, requiring every citizen to load government specific software. In many cases you won't even know they're loading monitoring software, you'll be required to load a government app that includes voter ID, driver's license, etc. Everything in one app will be presented as software everyone needs for taxes and every other government process. Guess what's going to also be loaded in the background .... yep, monitoring software so they know where you're at and what you're doing. Have fun!!
    You don’t get out much, clearly.
    zimmermannmuthuk_vanalingammikethemartianStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 22
    "Apple will also split the App Store into two versions, with one covering EU member states and the other for the rest of the world."

So will that be a part of the pre existing 5 or will that make the total number of app stores 6?

/s
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 22
    When (not if) millions of EU users start getting malware on their iPhones, who should they blame?

Or more correctly, who should they sue?
    watto_cobraAllM
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 218member
    rob53 said:
    You mean, like the commercial malware that Google installs on every computer tracking your every move, reading every email and document, while denying you any privacy at all? Or, do you mean the commercial malware that Facebook uses to track your movements, your social network, likes and dislike, and monitoring your phone and linking your number to your purchases, memberships etc., that is, your life away from the internet. Or, do you mean the commercial cookie hell that was the internet before the EU stepped in and regulated that kak? All of this thanks to your pole-dancing prostitutes that you call ‘representatives’ doing nothing to reign in the most egregious invasions of privacy and attacks on personal freedom being unleashed from the bowels of capitalist Silicon Valley. Is that what you mean?
    zimmermannStrangeDaysbadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    rob53 said:
    That already exists basically in Spain: an app called 'My Citizen Folder' where a huge amount of government related information and documentation is bundled up into one place. 
    rob53Alex_V
  • Reply 7 of 22
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    That already exists basically in Spain: an app called 'My Citizen Folder' where a huge amount of government related information and documentation is bundled up into one place. 
    This also exists in India, there is a service called Digilocker. I think it's good, government documents should not be in the hands of private companies such as Apple.
    rob53lordjohnwhorfinwilliamlondonAlex_V
  • Reply 8 of 22
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Alex_V said:
    rob53 said:
    You mean, like the commercial malware that Google installs on every computer tracking your every move, reading every email and document, while denying you any privacy at all? Or, do you mean the commercial malware that Facebook uses to track your movements, your social network, likes and dislike, and monitoring your phone and linking your number to your purchases, memberships etc., that is, your life away from the internet. Or, do you mean the commercial cookie hell that was the internet before the EU stepped in and regulated that kak? All of this thanks to your pole-dancing prostitutes that you call ‘representatives’ doing nothing to reign in the most egregious invasions of privacy and attacks on personal freedom being unleashed from the bowels of capitalist Silicon Valley. Is that what you mean?
    I didn't say the USA doesn't allow these but you've also made my point. Of course I don't use Google products (I try and shut down all trackers on this website) or Facebook, never have used twitter/X and simply try and stay away from all the websites that do exactly what you say.

avon b7 said:

This also exists in India, there is a service called Digilocker. I think it's good, government documents should not be in the hands of private companies such as Apple.
    My point exactly. It's already being done.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    rob53 said:
    Turn off cable news and talk radio, kids. 
    blastdoorwilliamlondonAlex_VAllM
  • Reply 10 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    rob53 said:
    Alex_V said:
    rob53 said:
    I didn't say the USA doesn't allow these but you've also made my point. Of course I don't use Google products (I try and shut down all trackers on this website) or Facebook, never have used twitter/X and simply try and stay away from all the websites that do exactly what you say.

avon b7 said:

My point exactly. It's already being done.
    No, you made a bunch of tinfoil hat claims, including simple government apps, and they said government apps already exist. Your paranoia about being monitored, tracked, and app stores run by the local police, is pure nonsense in your head and was not confirmed by anyone. 
    lordjohnwhorfinwilliamlondongatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 22
    European regulators have a history of shooting their citizens in the foot, I think it’s really interesting to compare their approach to web site tracking (forcing each web site to implement an infuriating, often time consuming dialog for each new site you visit where most of the times the only way to turn off tracking requires reviewing a bezillion options, forcing most people to give up and choose the easy one click solution where you agree to being tracked) to the one implemented by Apple, where one simple click resulted in wiping out 2/3 of Meta’s ad revenue.
    Check it out next time you visit Europe (or if you have access to a EU-based VPN). Mind boggling. But hey, at least now they forced all-USBC on phones (filling up landfills with billions of Lightning cables, well played)
    williamlondonbadmonkwatto_cobraAllM
  • Reply 12 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    chasm said:
    rob53 said:
    You don’t get out much, clearly.

That is the next step politicians do get bored easily. (what else can we do for the sake of the people after all that is our greatest concern?). :smile: 
    edited January 16 watto_cobraAllM
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Could the split to a different App Store for Europe be necessary to implement the changes required to charge developers directly for the use of Apple IP and backend systems in their apps directly since they won't be able to recover those costs as they do currently?
    watto_cobraAllM
  • Reply 14 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    JMaille said:
    Could the split to a different App Store for Europe be necessary to implement the changes required to charge developers directly for the use of Apple IP and backend systems in their apps directly since they won't be able to recover those costs as they do currently?
    Yes, the more changes/inference the EU does, they will have the privilege of being split away from the rest of the Tech world as time goes on like continental drift.
    edited January 16 watto_cobraAllM
  • Reply 15 of 22
    danox said:
    JMaille said:
    Yes, the more changes/inference the EU does, they will have the privilege of being split away from the rest of the Tech world as time goes on like continental drift.
    Do you think Japan will follow the EU on this? Korea? Australia? China? Others....?

The EU are leading on this, others will no doubt follow.
    edited January 16 muthuk_vanalingamgatorguyAllM
  • Reply 16 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Many years ago when the iPhone was really increasing their market share, I remember a huge media announcement that the iPhone was hacked, compromised, with data being stolen.  It was everywhere.  They all said that iPhone security was not all it was cracked-up to be.

Of course, at the very end of the stories it was mentioned (in extremely tiny print with an asterisk) that the iPhone was jailbroken and it was a side-loaded app did it.

Guarantee there will be a floodgate of side-loaded apps that will steal data and as users refuse to accept responsibility for their own stupidity, everyone will blame Apple.
    williamlondonbadmonkwatto_cobraAllM
  • Reply 17 of 22
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Though some may disagree, but between an app store duopoly and online criminality (malware, fraudulent apps, fraudulent charges, pig-butchering scams, organized crime plotting etc etc), I suspect the latter is a bigger threat to consumers.

I think the EU will end up regretting this.  I hope they have the resources to police these third party app stores for abuse and criminality, enaure appropriate safeguards and taxation but I suspect they don’t and won’t.

I think the EU will end up regretting this decision.   Like mandating usb-c charging they are letting their imagined ideal to be the enemy of the good.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    badmonk said:
    Though some may disagree, but between an app store duopoly and online criminality (malware, fraudulent apps, fraudulent charges, pig-butchering scams, organized crime plotting etc etc), I suspect the latter is a bigger threat to consumers.

I think the EU will end up regretting this.  I hope they have the resources to police these third party app stores for abuse and criminality, enaure appropriate safeguards and taxation but I suspect they don’t and won’t.

I think the EU will end up regretting this decision.   Like mandating usb-c charging they are letting their imagined ideal to be the enemy of the good.
    Maybe so, but another possibility is that the iPhone experience will be a bit more like the Mac experience. The Mac allows “side loading” and third part app stores, yet the Mac isn’t some kind of hellscape. The Mac is just a bit more complex to manage — you need to “know what you are doing” with a Mac in a way that you don’t with an iPhone. But I like my Mac quite a bit. 

On the other hand, even for people who “know what they’re doing” on a Mac, it’s nice to have extra default protection and simplicity on a phone. So I am inclined to agree that this might be a downgrade for most users. But I don’t think it’s going to be *horrible* — more like, a little less nice. 
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamsphericctt_zhskippingrock
  • Reply 19 of 22
    It's also possible that apps that are only available in the "other stores" might not be able to have access to the same APIs? 
    Maybe not, they'd get sued for not allowing the same developer "experience" but I would hope that Apple implements some sort of additional sandboxing for non-Apple AppStore apps.
    Did the law require that apps side-loaded are required to have the same access to APIs? Or just have the ability to side-load?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    It's also possible that apps that are only available in the "other stores" might not be able to have access to the same APIs? 
    Maybe not, they'd get sued for not allowing the same developer "experience" but I would hope that Apple implements some sort of additional sandboxing for non-Apple AppStore apps.
    Did the law require that apps side-loaded are required to have the same access to APIs? Or just have the ability to side-load?
    Should that matter? The law's intent is clear, and Apple's Cook is on record as saying "We not only comply with the laws, but we comply with the spirit of the laws".

But just like you, I believe it does matter despite the responsible-sounding words. I suspect Cook pledging Apple to "spirit of the law" was just for giggles and PR, and Apple will work around it. 
    edited January 18 muthuk_vanalingam