Apple gets FCC approval for Apple Vision Pro ahead of pre-order start

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited January 16
Apple Vision Pro has gained FCC approval for use in the United States, just ahead of pre-orders opening on the Apple Store.

Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approval is required before a wireless product can be sold, and it is granted only after extensive testing. The
FCC filing for the Apple Vision Pro runs to over 90 separate certificates and related documentation.

Product A2117, as it is referred to throughout, was tested on behalf of the FCC by the Element Materials Technology of Washington, DC.

Element was authorized to conduct the testing on November 3, 2023. The company claims to be a global provider of testing, inspection and certification services "in sectors were failure in service is not an option."

The earliest-dated of Element's and the FCC's report documentation is dated December 4, 2023. At initial reading, the mass of documents contain little that Apple has not now already revealed.

However, it does all confirm that the device "supports 2 x 2 MIMO configuration, enabled for 5 GHz band operations..." and supports "20, 40, and 80 MHz BW [bandwidth] modes."

"The highest reported SAR for standalone use conditions for head, extremity, and simultaneous are 0.10 W/kg, 2.96 W/kg, and 0.15 W/kg respectively," continue the reports.

Apple Vision Pro has been given an FCC ID of BCGA2117. Curiously, the mandate that this information be readily available to users specifies that owners must be able to choose Regulatory Certification, which the FCC says is under the Apple Menu and About This Mac.

Apple Vision Pro will be available for pre-order from January 19, 2024. Pre-ordering is more involved process with this device than with iPhones, however, so Apple has released details of what information buyers will need to have ready.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    This is one of those devices for which I have absolutely no use.  I don't have a Mac, I'm only moderately invested in the Apple ecosystem (phone, watch, Apple TV), nor does it play any of the games I'm interested in playing in VR (and likely never will).

But I want one anyway. 🤣
    lotoneswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Good thing. Lack of FFC approval after all this hype would have been... awkward.
    watto_cobra