YouTube and Spotify also won't offer any apps on Apple Vision Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,089member
    Those companies won't hold out for too long because if they don't get their house in order someone will take advantage of their absence, I hope they hold out long enough for someone to come up and take their place after all isn't that what everyone claims to want true capitalistic competition? EU, Justice Dept. the hater on the street? :smile: 

Their ultimate nightmare Apple rolls up its sleeves again due to market 
    inertia (lack of support) iMessage, Apple CarPlay, Apple Maps, and Safari were created out of that necessity, somehow I think Google, Adobe, Microsoft and Netflix's greed and paranoia will get the fires going. However you can't have BlackMagic, Affinity, Notability, Figma, Morpholio Trace or GoodNotes climb higher, some third party company will use this new ecosystem opportunity to climb higher up that is what will be fun over the next two years looking forward to it.
    edited January 19 thtwilliamlondonmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    XedXed Posts: 2,692member
    danox said:
    Those companies won't hold out for too long because if they don't get their house in order someone will take advantage of their absence, I hope they hold out long enough for someone to come up and take their place after all isn't that what everyone claims to want true capitalistic competition? EU, Justice Dept. the hater on the street? :smile: 

Their ultimate nightmare Apple rolls up its sleeves again due to market inertia (lack of support) iMessage, Apple CarPlay, Apple Maps, and Safari were created out of that necessity, somehow I think Google, Adobe, Microsoft and Netflix's greed and paranoia will get the fires going. However you can't have BlackMagic, Affinity, Notability, Figma, Morpholio Trace or GoodNotes climb higher, some third party company will use this new ecosystem opportunity to climb higher up that is what will be fun over the next two years looking forward to it.
    I hope you're right, butI don't know about that.  They don't have to anything to allow their iPad apps to run on AVP but they disabled that. The usage numbers will also be low for this device for a long time, even as it's already the VR/AR that all else is compared to. I also don't think they're going to suffer a noticeable loss from AVP existing in 2024.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam9secondkox2
  • Reply 23 of 27
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,089member
    Xed said:
    danox said:

Their ultimate nightmare Apple rolls up its sleeves again due to market inertia (lack of support) iMessage, Apple CarPlay, Apple Maps, and Safari were created out of that necessity, somehow I think Google, Adobe, Microsoft and Netflix's greed and paranoia will get the fires going. However you can't have BlackMagic, Affinity, Notability, Figma, Morpholio Trace or GoodNotes climb higher, some third party company will use this new ecosystem opportunity to climb higher up that is what will be fun over the next two years looking forward to it.
    I hope you're right, butI don't know about that.  They don't have to anything to allow their iPad apps to run on AVP but they disabled that. The usage numbers will also be low for this device for a long time, even as it's already the VR/AR that all else is compared to. I also don't think they're going to suffer a noticeable loss from AVP existing in 2024.

Well they will delay because they think they are special but small/medium sized developers will fill the gap there are simply too many talented people out there. They may not suffer a lost but they will at some later date cry about being left behind on a particular feature (spacial video/lidar/R1 chip), there will be the crybaby moment from some of Apples so-called competitors.
    edited January 19 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,523member
    I don't understand why some folks are taking NetFlix's, YouTube's, and Spotify's refusal to play natively on Apple's newest platform so hard. Last time I checked all of those companies are competitors to Apple at some level. They have limited resources to develop, port, and support their applications on several platforms and would rather pay to enhance their position on those other platforms than to spend it on a new Apple platform. Of course if Apple Vision Pro becomes a raging success they will probably change their tune rather quickly.

Does it seem somewhat spiteful that these Apple competitors would block their iPad apps from running on Vision Pro when there is no technical reason for doing so? In an Apple-centric universe I suppose they answer would be "hell yeah." But ask yourself, when was the last time Apple blocked a competitor's app from running on one of Apple's platforms when there was no technical justification for blocking the app? Easy answer: yesterday, today, and every day since the inception of some of the Apple platforms in question. Apple is quite adept at deciding who it allows into its inner sanctum and has been for many years.

This is all part of the back and forth and one-upmanship that happens every day between competitors. For example, Google doesn't allow YouTube to run natively on Amazon's Echo Show devices. No worthy product innovator is going to pave an easy path for competitors to horn in on their territory if they can help it and aren't forced to give away their hard earned advantage to their competitors by external bureaucrats like the EU. I don't see Amazon playing the victim card and I don't see Apple doing it either. If Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify don't want to join the Vision Pro party they are completely free to decline the invitation. No big deal. If Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify customers feel like they are victims or suffering harm due to the choices made by these companies around Apple Vision Pro they are free to take their business elsewhere. They can vote with their wallets, which is really what should separate the winners from the losers in fair and competitive markets.

Apple, Netflix, YouTube (Google), and Spotify are all fully capable of fighting their own battles. When it comes to the success of the Apple Vision Pro, it will be Apple's technical, tactical, and strategic maneuvers and accomplishments that determine the outcome. Apple controls what Apple can control. Apple can't control what their competitors do. Apple went to market with something they believe is a winning formula and one that has no dependencies on any of the apps in question. If Apple needed Netflix, YouTube, or Spotify on the Apple Vision Pro they would have ponied up the cash to make it happen, much like Google created a cash pipeline with Apple to keep their search engine on Apple's platforms. Apple obviously feels that they don't need Netflix, YouTube, or Spotify on the Apple Vision Pro. I agree with Apple.

edited January 19 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    danox said:
    If spacial video works Netflix/Spotify are going to cry foul help me government.
    Um… more likely, they’ll just make an app supporting it. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Xed said:
    “But… but… but…, it’s because Netflix just hates apple!”

LOL

ITS BUSINESS. 

The ROI just isn’t there for headsets. 
    1) In all my years on this forum you have to be the most consistently wrong troll that's ever been a member. I even have a suspicion that you're another poster that got banned  right before your current account was created.

2) If it's not corporate spite — which Netflix, Spotify, and Google have toward Apple — then why was Netflix's iPad app working on AVP previously and then Netflix took the added effort, albeit minor, to disable it being allowed to run on the device? Why do you think it's good business for any of those companies to not allow something they've already made and that is already idealized for touch input to not run on Apple's new product? The reason is simple and clear. They are jealous of Apple and this will hurt the AVP experience more than it will hurt their user ship... and yet, I have a feeling Apple will prevail and you'll be eating crow once again.

pot, meet kettle…

The headset market just isn’t all that. The big tech apps have been there for other headsets and it turned out that it wasn’t worth it for them. Hence no Apple Vision Pro - yet. I’m sure that if the VP ends up selling really well over a few years, they’ll all jump on it. But they’ve had history here and they’ve chosen to learn from it rather than repeat it. So take a breath, return to sanity, and be at peace. 

2) as I explained to another member, it’s way off base to slop a tablet app onto a vr headset. Why the heck would anyone do that? It’s a subpar experience exacerbated by the expectations of UX fitting a headset device. When a company like Disney has went all in and invested, no competitor is going to just slap on an iPad app. They’ll point you to the browser (which is at least as good as the app, but more features) as the expectations with that are more settled. It’s not some mystery. It’s basic business. This way, they can offer the same experience tablet app users are used to while tempering expectations and not having to potentially waste time and money on an app that history tells them is a terrible ROI decision. 

Some people just can’t understand the world without an “us vs them” mentality. 

since you likely didn’t see my post from yesterday, Here’s a pretty good take on it from 9 to 5 (I think they read my posts and write articles the next day. Teehee!):

https://9to5mac.com/2024/01/19/vision-pro-apps-ipad-apps/

As far as eating a black feathered bird, I’d love to be wrong about my view on Apple Vision Pro. But my view is based on everything apple has shown us, what apple execs were concerned about, what previews have revealed, the price, the history of the headset market, and what I have long ago predicted would be necessary to make this a revolutionary product instead of just the best of a niche market. Ever since the scuba gear mock-ups we’re making the rounds, I predicted it needs to be a glasses/sunglasses form factor to succeed, because those are things people live with and they can get out of the way, letting you live your life, not some all encompassing thing that removes you from your natural senses, substituting them with facsimiles while enveloping your face and tethered to your body. Later, it was revealed that apple HAD been working on a glasses form factor, but it wasn’t ready. So I’m right more than I’m wrong. 

It seems apple themselves know that it’s a hard sell. That’s why they’re making so few in order to still “sell out.” 

I’m one of the biggest apple fans there is. I’ve basically turned my family into apple evangelists. But, even apple can make mistakes and whiff a swing at something. That’s what appears to have happened here. 

In a couple years, when the sunglasses are out, it will be time to revisit. That will be something. 
    edited January 19 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 27
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,382member
    Xed said:
    danox said:

It is a similar to me to laptops. Sure they could run most of the same software at the time but still over the years the portability of the machines and interaction style changed the software the UX for the better mostly. Still Apple took close to a decade to move a million units per year. Now that form factor is the majority of Mac shipments. 

Hopefully like the laptop special computers will force the the 
    watto_cobra