Damaged Apple Vision Pro repairs cost up to $2,399

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Making AppleCare seem like a sensible purchase, Apple has revealed that some repairs to an Apple Vision Pro will cost around 70% of the price of a new one.

AppleCare logo superimposed on Apple Vision Pro
Without AppleCare, Apple Vision Pro repair costs can be up to $2,399

Apple is steadily revealing more details about Apple Vision Pro now that pre-orders have started, such as the pricing for different models. It's also released the price for AppleCare insurance, which is $499.

Users who buy AppleCare will see a substantial difference in repair costs. During the lifetime of the AppleCare coverage, users can have as many repair incidents as they need -- but each one comes with a fee of $299.

Without AppleCare coverage, however, all repair costs are higher. Apple divides Apple Vision Pro repairs into two categories, "Cracked cover glass," and everything else.

To repair a cracked cover glass, Apple estimates that it will cost $799. That's the only named repair work, but the estimated cost for "Other damage" is $2,399.

Detail from Apple's repair options for Apple Vision Pro
Detail from Apple's repair options for Apple Vision Pro

Apple's repair page does also have a separate section regarding battery servicing.

"We can replace your Apple Vision Pro battery for a fee," it says. "Our warranty doesn't cover batteries that wear down from normal use."

"Your product is eligible for a battery replacement at no additional cost if you have AppleCare+," continues Apple, "and your product's battery holds less than 80 percent of its original capacity."

Oddly, battery replacement is not listed with the other repair types, and Apple also does not reveal a fee. Separately, Apple has included a battery in its initial selection of Apple Vision Pro accessories, though, where it costs $199.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    That’s a terrible deal. $499/$2,399 is about 21% so that would mean that about one of every five would have to break (for whatever time period it applies) before Apple wouldn’t profit for the repairs and that isn’t even considering the $299 charge.
    grandact73ctt_zh
  • Reply 2 of 18
    This is an amazing piece of hardware that I will never own! 1st world problems.  :D

This kit is really for industry and developers. Easy to see the medical and military applications, along with a whole lot of other commercial application.s But as a consumer device it's upper middle-class or higher for those with money to blow.  :#
  • Reply 3 of 18
    That’s a terrible deal. $499/$2,399 is about 21% so that would mean that about one of every five would have to break (for whatever time period it applies) before Apple wouldn’t profit for the repairs and that isn’t even considering the $299 charge.
    Yes! $499 PLUS an additional $299 if you need service. That's roughly 25% of the total purchase price for any repair, and that's with insurance!!! And Apple is almost forcing you to take the insurance because your potential cost to repair without the insurance is insane. Honestly, insurance rates that are THIS high cause me to wonder what Apple knows about the likelihood of Vision Pro needing repairs. 
    grandact73ctt_zhbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 18
    My advice is to avoid the YouTube six foot drop onto a concrete floor. 
    chasmdanoxwatto_cobrabyronljony0
  • Reply 5 of 18
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 188member
    Surely they offer monthly subscription for those that buy the next model „soon“ anyway 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    At least in the Apple Store app, the length of coverage for AppleCare+ wasn't stated. $499 for 1 year or 2 years? We all seem to assume 2 years, but that's not necessarily the case unless in writing.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 7 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Yikes. These insurance, co-pay, and repair costs are reason enough to keep the kiddies from playing around with Mom's or Dad's Vision Pro.

I would not be at all surprised to see traditional insurance companies that write policies for automobiles, motorcycles, boats, etc., to offer insurance coverage for Apple's Vision Pro if the customer base grows to a substantial size. This would be in addition to insurance companies that currently offer coverage for high ticket value products purchased through online and brick & mortar retailers. These 3rd party insurers may even offer supplements that cover the $299 per incident co-pay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    In the past, buying all the parts of an automobile, rather than the assembled auto, has been estimated to cost at least 10x the cost of the assembled car.  Plus the cost of paying for assembly.  Wonder if extended warranty will be discounted in the future, as an incentive, once supply exceeds demand?  

My experience with 3rd party insurers has been they frequently go bankrupt, and often have major exclusions on what they cover.  Historically, this has often been true of firms that insure automobiles.  If the firm goes bankrupt, the policy is not worth the paper on which it is printed.  Sometimes, there are limits on payments from the policy, and you may be limited in which firms will accept the insurance (or which repair firms the insurance company will accept).  You may be limited by what the insurance firm considers the fair market value of the device.  For automobiles, frequent exclusions include batteries, tires, brakes and other wear items.  
    edited January 20 dewmewatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Actually Apple 'profits' more from a 'repair'. I would bet you get a new or refurbished replacement device while the broken one get's send back for inspection and eventual refurbishment except for broken glass (because that is already expected to break easily). So Apple gets a good idea what can break under normal usage of average Joe. 

Don't forget 1st generation buyers are essentially the beta-customers, for what will eventually become the Apple Vision experience. 3rd generation moving forward. 1st and 2nd generation buyers are essentially paying test-dummies.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    I think these prices (even with Applecare) push things into the realm of 'very hard to justify the risk' unless you are all in at any price.

If the base retail price requires careful thought, the repair matrix makes it even harder to justify for an unestablished product with very little content of any kind available.

However, the first folding phones came with the same considerations and high repair costs. 

As with those phones, only real world use will determine how fragile the material is and how it holds up to everyday use. 

I'm happy for those that have that disposable income to take the risks and am grateful to them for taking the first baby steps. 

I'd rather the product existed than not. 

ctt_zhdewmemuthuk_vanalingamdamn_its_hotgrandact73byronl
  • Reply 11 of 18
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    charlesn said:
    Yes! $499 PLUS an additional $299 if you need service. That's roughly 25% of the total purchase price for any repair, and that's with insurance!!! And Apple is almost forcing you to take the insurance because your potential cost to repair without the insurance is insane. Honestly, insurance rates that are THIS high cause me to wonder what Apple knows about the likelihood of Vision Pro needing repairs. 
    Can you explain to me? You say their insurance is too high compared to the purchase price, but then say that you are forced to get it because the cost to replace it is too high.

These devices aren't really user repairable so if it gets crushed you're not going to be able to repair it yourself, and chances are Apple will simply replace it instead of fixing such damage piece by piece in the backroom of an Apple Store.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Xed said:

Can you explain to me? You say their insurance is too high compared to the purchase price, but then say that you are forced to get it because the cost to replace it is too high.

Sure, try this: you want to buy an all-new car model for $50,000, but only the manufacturer offers insurance on it, and that will cost you $13,000 more... OR, you can decline the insurance, but know that if the car breaks down or you're in a fender bender, repairs could run you $34,000. Sound like a good deal to you either way? No, I didn't think so. 
    edited January 20 ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73byronl
  • Reply 13 of 18
    charlesn said:
    Xed said:

Sure, try this: you want to buy an all-new car model for $50,000, but only the manufacturer offers insurance on it, and that will cost you $13,000 more... OR, you can decline the insurance, but know that if the car breaks down or you're in a fender bender, repairs could run you $34,000. Sound like a good deal to you either way? No, I didn't think so. 
    It's expensive to repair. Do you really not look at AVP and understand that fact?

Because of the high cost to repair an AVP that you've damaged it means the cost of insurance will be higher. These go hand-in-hand, and it's beyond foolish to think that a high cost to repair an item should have a converse cost for purchasing insurance.

My suggestion is that you don't buy one if you aren't OK with the purchase price, your perceived risk for damaging the device, or the cost of insurance.
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Xed said:
    These devices aren't really user repairable so if it gets crushed you're not going to be able to repair it yourself, and chances are Apple will simply replace it instead of fixing such damage piece by piece in the backroom of an Apple Store.
    That has been my experience with iPods, iPhones, and Apple Watch, even when it comes to "battery replacement." They simply hand you a replacement device. In the case of my stainless steel Apple Watch Series 5 battery replacement they supposedly sent it out to a repair depot but the repair depot shipped back an entirely new watch. I was concerned that there would be an issue with the Verizon LTE service on the watch not transferring to the new hardware easily (based on previous experiences at the Verizon store) but the service transfer worked out perfectly with the help of the Apple Store person who walked me through the process before and after the "repair." I could not be happier with the outcome because the watch now works and feels like it is brand new.  

As a side note, Apple's repair strategy is another good reason why you may not want to have personalized engraving done on your Apple device when you purchase it from Apple. The other reason of course is resale and trade-in.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 15 of 18
    dewme said:
    Xed said:
    That has been my experience with iPods, iPhones, and Apple Watch, even when it comes to "battery replacement." They simply hand you a replacement device. In the case of my stainless steel Apple Watch Series 5 battery replacement they supposedly sent it out to a repair depot but the repair depot shipped back an entirely new watch. I was concerned that there would be an issue with the Verizon LTE service on the watch not transferring to the new hardware easily (based on previous experiences at the Verizon store) but the service transfer worked out perfectly with the help of the Apple Store person who walked me through the process before and after the "repair." I could not be happier with the outcome because the watch now works and feels like it is brand new.  

As a side note, Apple's repair strategy is another good reason why you may not want to have personalized engraving done on your Apple device when you purchase it from Apple. The other reason of course is resale and trade-in.
    I noticed that I could get my Zeiss lenses engraved. Even with that I choose not to go that route even though these are very specific to my vision.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Is anyone going to make a plastic case to protect the device while it's in use?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Is anyone going to make a plastic case to protect the device while it's in use?
    A hollowed out Meta Quest should do the trick.

watto_cobra