Apple cuts back AirPlay streaming resolution from Apple Vision Pro's displays

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited January 19

Hours after tech specs declared that Apple Vision Pro could stream video to an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV in 1080p, the tech specs have been revised downward.

Two dinosaurs on a large television, with a hand holding an iPhone sending the video to the television with AirPlay
Apple's AirPlay from iPhone to Apple TV

Apple added the ability to select an iPhone or iPad as an AirPlay target in iOS 17.2. As it turns out, this was intended for people not wearing an Apple Vision Pro headset to see what's on the internal screens.

Tech specs revealed for the first time on Friday morning initially said that AirPlay streaming to at target device like an iPhone or Apple TV set top box could be "up to 1080p." In a late Friday evening change, Apple has revised that downward to 720p.

Interestingly, the list of compatible streaming targets includes the decade-old second generation Apple TV, which was only capable of 720p streaming. It wasn't until the third generation that 1080p streaming was added to the device.

It's unclear why the change was made. AirPlay screen mirroring from a Mac to target device is limited to 1080p, but an AirPlay target can also pick up a video stream from the source when directed by a device.

For instance, a Mac can mirror a display to an Apple TV at 1080p. That same Mac can send a video stream's network data to a device like an Apple TV, and it will stream natively on the Apple TV without a "middle-man" device.

In the case of an Apple Vision Pro's eye screens, this is clearly the former, not the latter. AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for comment and clarification.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I think there is a typo in the headline.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    I'm still figuring out how the VP can support 3 displays: the 2 4K+ microOLEDs and the EyeSight display. So, uh, Apple has to be splitting one display stream of 23m pixels into two after it is coming out of the M3 display controller. If true, you should see a chip on the VP logic board that does that.

For AirPlay, perhaps they are just running out of GPU performance driving the two microOLEDs, the EyeSight, and AirPlay gets the short shrift.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    daven said:
    I think there is a typo in the headline.
    Why is there a typo? What is the typo? What should the headline read?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tht said:
    I'm still figuring out how the VP can support 3 displays: the 2 4K+ microOLEDs and the EyeSight display. So, uh, Apple has to be splitting one display stream of 23m pixels into two after it is coming out of the M3 display controller. If true, you should see a chip on the VP logic board that does that.

For AirPlay, perhaps they are just running out of GPU performance driving the two microOLEDs, the EyeSight, and AirPlay gets the short shrift.
    It has the two 4K screens for your eyes, an external screen (not sure if the resolution. Don’t see it on the tech specs), and then another screen that can be mirrored to. 

Already that’s more than Apple approves m2 Macs for. 

So I’m not surprised that Apple is limiting airplay to 720p. I’m actually surprised that it gets that capability. 

Whether it’s a hit or just a niche thing, at least Apple has given it their all. Can always rely on them for that. 
    edited January 20 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Really not surprising given that the AVP only has an M2. If or when an M2 Pro chip is available in the AVP I'm sure the Airplay resolution will increase accordingly.

That said, why does the AVP only have an M2? Seems like an unnecessary processing limitation for a device that obviously needs all the processing power it can get.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    lotones said:
    Really not surprising given that the AVP only has an M2. If or when an M2 Pro chip is available in the AVP I'm sure the Airplay resolution will increase accordingly.

That said, why does the AVP only have an M2? Seems like an unnecessary processing limitation for a device that obviously needs all the processing power it can get.
    Anything else would Jack up the price even more. 
    Alex1Nlotones
  • Reply 7 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    lotones said:

It's a chip the is sitting 2 inches from your eyeball, and 6 inches from your ear. So less heat and less noise from the cooling system sounds like pretty hard requirements. Now why doesn't it have an M3? It was probably slated to ship late last year, and it takes a lot of time and money to re-qualify. Shouldn't present a problem if they upgrade it yearly. An upgraded model with an M3 in October sounds great.

Could they squeeze an M3 Pro in? Perhaps. Downclocked and Watt limited might be enough, or perhaps binning the golden M3 Pro chips, but not sure if it is a true benefit. They just need to continue to ride the year-on-year upgrades.

What's more important is they have a lot of software to ship for it. A full featured web browser, their full iWork set of apps, FCP, LP, Xcode, Terminal, all the other apps from their platforms, etc. Looks like they are running 6 to 12 months on the software side. Then, they have to get their big developers to ship, like MS and Adobe.
    byronlAlex1Nlotoneswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    tht said:

I'm guessing the R1 chip does plenty of that work.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    byronl said:
    tht said:

I'm guessing the R1 chip does plenty of that work.
    I think it manages all the camera and “spatial” data. Not necessarily the general computing. 
    edited January 22 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    I've seen comment elsewhere that 720p is the highest resolution they can go without Netflix and other such companies getting uppity about multiple screens for streaming content.  Not sure if there's any truth in that, or if it's a factor (especially since Netflix aren't making an app anyway).
    edited January 22 Alex1Nwatto_cobra