Apple Watch blood oxygen feature helps doctor save air passenger's life

Posted:
in Apple Watch

The Apple Watch has been credited with helping save the life of an airline passenger, using the legally-troubled blood oxygen feature.

Apple Watch Blood Oxygen app
Apple Watch Blood Oxygen app

The various features of the Apple Watch have helped people in need in various ways. However, it has rarely been used as a tool by medical professionals to help save lives in an emergency situation with very limited resources.

On a January 9 Ryanair flight to Verona, Italy from Birmingham, UK, a woman in her 70s was found to be short of breath, prompting cabin crew to search for a doctor onboard the flight. NHS doctor Rashid Riaz was on the flight and stepped in to help.

The woman reportedly had a history of heart issues, according to the BBC, and did not immediately respond to the doctor's queries.

As part of his efforts, Dr Riaz used an Apple Watch borrowed from the crew to try and monitor her vitals. "The Apple Watch helped me to find out the patient had low oxygen saturation," he explained.

An onboard oxygen cylinder was then used on the woman until the plane landed in Italy an hour later. The passenger recovered quickly before disembarking aided by medical staff.

"I used a lot of my own learning during this flight on how to use the gadget," Dr. Riaz commented. "It is a lesson in how we can improve in-flight journeys [with] this sort of emergency [via] a basic gadget which nowadays is easily available."

The blood oxygen capabilities of the Apple Watch have been at the heart of a patent infringement lawsuit and a sales ban in the United States, with Apple removing the function in the country to try and appease the courts.

Joe Kiani, the CEO of Masimo who contends Apple infringes on his company's patents, said in an interview on January 18 that Apple is "masquerading what they are offering to consumers as a reliable, medical pulse oximeter, even though it's not." Kiani maintains "I really feel wholeheartedly that consumers are better off without it."

Apple advises on its website that the measurements found in the watchOS Blood Oxygen app are "not intended for medical use," and are designed only for "general fitness and wellness purposes."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    It's not Apple's, it's Masimo's.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 21
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Not necessarily. Check out https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/05/01/apple-watch-trial-endslatest-chapter-of-2-billion-apple-watch-patent-battle-ends-in-mistrial The vote in favor of Apple was 6-1 but for some stupid reason it needed to be unanimous. One juror out of seven doesn't sound like Apple used Masimo's patents. Yes, Masimo has patents on pulse oximeters but so do other patent holders. Masimo also references other patents within their patents. I've always wondered about these patent references. I doubt Masimo was the first and only company to create a medical pulse oximeter, which is not something Apple is including in their Apple Watch. Apple is providing a non-medical pulse oximeter without all the critical testing and accuracy. I bought a home use pulse oximeter for $30, Masimo's go for 10X that amount. There is a difference in what Apple and Masimo are selling. Did Apple actually use the Masimo patents in their entirety or simply use parts of the patents, which seems to be what other companies do. 

Do airlines carry pulse oximeters on-board? Probably not. Do people carry their own pulse oximeters wherever they go? Probably not. Was the woman's life saved because she had a pulse oximeter on her watch, which provided enough information that the cabin crew knew to give her oxygen? Absolutely! Do we credit this to Masimo? Absolutely not!
    Anilu_777timpetusAppleZuluwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 21
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    Joe Kiani, the CEO of Masimo who contends Apple infringes on his company's patents, said in an interview on January 18 that Apple is "masquerading what they are offering to consumers as a reliable, medical pulse oximeter, even though it's not." Kiani maintains "I really feel wholeheartedly that consumers are better off without it."

According to Masimo:

Apple's implementation is infringing on Masimo patent = T
    Apple tech is neither a reliable and/or medical pulse oximeter = T

Then a simple truth table says T + T = T and therefore Masimo implementation is neither a reliable and/or medical pulse oximeter.

Anilu_777timpetuswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 21
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    omasou said:
    Joe Kiani, the CEO of Masimo who contends Apple infringes on his company's patents, said in an interview on January 18 that Apple is "masquerading what they are offering to consumers as a reliable, medical pulse oximeter, even though it's not." Kiani maintains "I really feel wholeheartedly that consumers are better off without it."

According to Masimo:

Then a simple truth table says T + T = T and therefore Masimo implementation is neither a reliable and/or medical pulse oximeter.

You can make assertions all you want but that doesn't make them true.  Why do would a thinking person just take "according to Masimo" at face value?

We could add According to Masimo:

Apple is "masquerading what they are offering to consumers as a reliable, medical pulse oximeter, even though it's not." = F

From the article (you would know if you read it): Apple advises on its website that the measurements found in the watchOS Blood Oxygen app are "not intended for medical use," and are designed only for "general fitness and wellness purposes."

Kiani maintains "I really feel wholeheartedly that consumers are better off without it." = F

Ok, it's true that he maintains it but he is wrong.  According to the article, a DOCTOR on the flight said ""The Apple Watch helped me to find out the patient had low oxygen saturation."  Do you know better, Dr. Omasou?

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Apple Watch's annual revenue... what, around $28B...?  Mesimo Mkt Cap, around what, around... $8B?  Next week, Tim should buy Mesimo, license everything they have to Apple, license some of it back, and sell the company.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    williamh said:
    omasou said:

According to Masimo:

You can make assertions all you want but that doesn't make them true.  Why do would a thinking person just take "according to Masimo" at face value?

Apple is "masquerading what they are offering to consumers as a reliable, medical pulse oximeter, even though it's not." = F

From the article (you would know if you read it): Apple advises on its website that the measurements found in the watchOS Blood Oxygen app are "not intended for medical use," and are designed only for "general fitness and wellness purposes."

Kiani maintains "I really feel wholeheartedly that consumers are better off without it." = F

Ok, it's true that he maintains it but he is wrong.  According to the article, a DOCTOR on the flight said ""The Apple Watch helped me to find out the patient had low oxygen saturation."  Do you know better, Dr. Omasou?

I think Omasou is pointing out that Masimo is complaining that Apple is using their tech, and simultaneously complaining that the tech Apple is using (Masimo’s tech) is not very good. 
    timpetusomasouwilliamlondonthtwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 21
    williamh said:
    omasou said:

According to Masimo:

I think Omasou is pointing out that Masimo is complaining that Apple is using their tech, and simultaneously complaining that the tech Apple is using (Masimo’s tech) is not very good. 
    Yes, what we have here is a communications breakdown between two people who are actually in agreement, but think they aren't.

Masimo is, IMHO, engaging in a bad PR strategy in the court of public opinion. Not only will this hurt their image, it will also not help their legal case one bit. The jury was already 6-1 in favor of Apple last time, and if they continue to make themselves look bad while Apple stays mostly quiet about the issue until it comes to trial again, Apple has a very good chance of winning in the end. Even if Apple loses, they won't be hurt nearly as much by it as Masimo would be; one feature on one of Apple's smaller products won't break the bank, but Masimo has sunk a lot of money into this case already and are defending a patent that is clearly of greater importance to their own business.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    williamh said:
    omasou said:

According to Masimo:

Exactly!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21

timpetus said:
    williamh said:
    omasou said:

According to Masimo:

Yes, what we have here is a communications breakdown between two people who are actually in agreement, but think they aren't.

Masimo is, IMHO, engaging in a bad PR strategy in the court of public opinion. Not only will this hurt their image, it will also not help their legal case one bit. The jury was already 6-1 in favor of Apple last time, and if they continue to make themselves look bad while Apple stays mostly quiet about the issue until it comes to trial again, Apple has a very good chance of winning in the end. Even if Apple loses, they won't be hurt nearly as much by it as Masimo would be; one feature on one of Apple's smaller products won't break the bank, but Masimo has sunk a lot of money into this case already and are defending a patent that is clearly of greater importance to their own business.
    No I don't agree. IDK if Apple implementation copies Masimo's technology.

What I do know.

Looking at Masimo's web site, they appear to be a solid company making medical devices that help people.
    Masimo doesn't appear to be a patent troll and they actually make and sells products.
    Masimo must enforce any and all patents b/c if they don't they can lose them.

Did Apple leverage Masimo's algorithms? IDK.

End of day Apple will rewrite the contested algorithm and move forward.
    edited January 22
  • Reply 10 of 21
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    rob53 said:
    Not necessarily. Check out https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/05/01/apple-watch-trial-endslatest-chapter-of-2-billion-apple-watch-patent-battle-ends-in-mistrial The vote in favor of Apple was 6-1 but for some stupid reason it needed to be unanimous. One juror out of seven doesn't sound like Apple used Masimo's patents. Yes, Masimo has patents on pulse oximeters but so do other patent holders. Masimo also references other patents within their patents. I've always wondered about these patent references. I doubt Masimo was the first and only company to create a medical pulse oximeter, which is not something Apple is including in their Apple Watch. Apple is providing a non-medical pulse oximeter without all the critical testing and accuracy. I bought a home use pulse oximeter for $30, Masimo's go for 10X that amount. There is a difference in what Apple and Masimo are selling. Did Apple actually use the Masimo patents in their entirety or simply use parts of the patents, which seems to be what other companies do. 

Do airlines carry pulse oximeters on-board? Probably not. Do people carry their own pulse oximeters wherever they go? Probably not. Was the woman's life saved because she had a pulse oximeter on her watch, which provided enough information that the cabin crew knew to give her oxygen? Absolutely! Do we credit this to Masimo? Absolutely not!
    Like some sleazy politicians who shall not be named, Masimo has actually been mostly losing in actual court, while more successfully waging a disinformation campaign in the court of public opinion. If Masimo really believed their claims against Apple, they would have immediately sought a retrial in the 6-1 hung jury case, as is their right. In fact they said they would, but then did nothing. Having seen Apple's defense in the case, if Masimo believed they were right, a retrial would afford the time and opportunity to clearly demonstrate how Apple's defense isn't meaningful and that the patents were indeed infringed. Instead, they appear to know that they can't win there, and prefer instead to use the hung jury as a tool to help manipulate public perceptions, by highlighting that Apple didn't win, while burying the fact that six of the seven jurors said Apple did win.

Before Christmas, as there was the potential that the White House might overrule the looming International Trade Commission ban on watch imports, Masimo was publicly blustering confidently about how they were waiting by their phones for Apple to call and make an offer. Apparently not wanting to get involved, the White House didn't intervene, but Apple found another way through, by simply using software to switch off the pulse oximetry feature in newly imported watches, giving breathing room while they appeal the ITC ban altogether. Now Masimo's CEO is making pissy public comments to defame Apple's pulse oximeter. This continues to look more like Masimo seeking a shakedown payoff, rather than an aggrieved company seeking to protect its patents from infringement. Meanwhile, by declining to buy Masimo's silence to protect public perceptions, Apple is acting like the one who knows the facts are in their favor, making a win in the long-run more important than papering over the conflict with money.

The article here highlights Masimo's long-term weakness, even in the court of public opinion. Apple's strength is that even if their pulse oximeter is only "pretty good," it's on the wrists of hundreds of millions of people every day (something Masimo will never be able to say about their products), and like the Apple Watch heart monitor and ECG, there will continue to be stories about how the ubiquity of the device ends up saving lives.
    williamlondonthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    williamh said:
    omasou said:

According to Masimo:

Yes, but it's poor reasoning. Apple didn't steal everything from Masimo, so even if their implementation uses Masimo's patents it is not the same device and thus can't be automatically considered equivalent. It's like saying Samsung uses the same Qualcomm modem therefore the Galaxy is the same as the iPhone.

Having said that, I think Masimo's claims about the usefulness of Apple's pulse oximetry are not completely accurate and more posturing than reality. The Apple Watch oximeter may not be medical grade but that in no way makes is useless. This story is a perfect example.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    When a person with a history of heart disease becomes short of breath, among the most common reasons are myocardial ischaemia (reduced blood flow to the heart) or left ventricular failure (fluid accumulating in the lungs due to abnormal function of the left side of the heart). Administration of oxygen is an important component of the treatment of both these conditions (in fact for any person who suddenly develops shortness of breath), irrespective of what the oxygen level in the blood is.

As opposed to the ECG feature saving lives by detecting heart rhythm abnormalities in individuals without symptoms (or disregarding symptoms they may be experiencing), the Apple Watch oximeter function is not.  Let us not give undue credit to it! 
    williamlondonMplsP
  • Reply 13 of 21
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    As a recently retired ICU physician, pulse oximetry is a useful tool whether it is an Apple Watch, another manufacturer such as a Masimo or a $30 knockoff.  It was critical back when Covid-19 was more lethal for letting people know when it was time to go to the ER for evaluation or tough it out in the home as well as my work in the hospital.  As well as patients with chronic lung conditions, congenital heart disease, etc.

And on a personal note my father used pulse oximetry before he died in hospice (which was the first Apple Watch we bought as a family by the way) to monitor his limits of activity.

It would have been useful during this flight because there is some emerging evidence that hyperoxia is deleterious in cardiac conditions.

There is also a mistaken belief that pulse oximetry is some type of high tech rocket science but the science of sending different wavelengths of light through pulsatile tissue and assessing the difference to calculate oxyhemoglobin percentage is straightforward and been known for decades even before Masimo & their own Tim Sweeney existed.

Masimo has appended the wikipedia page on pulse-oximetry to add some complexity in this regard and I am sure that they have offered some unique refinements because they need to detect reflected light but still…

with millions of Apple Watches in use, it seems like a stretch to discount that their has been no utility to this feature.
    edited January 22 dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    badmonk said:
    As a recently retired ICU physician, pulse oximetry is a useful tool whether it is an Apple Watch, another manufacturer such as a Masimo or a $30 knockoff.  It was critical back when Covid-19 was more lethal for letting people know when it was time to go to the ER for evaluation or tough it out in the home as well as my work in the hospital.  As well as patients with chronic lung conditions, congenital heart disease, etc.

And on a personal note my father used pulse oximetry before he died in hospice (which was the first Apple Watch we bought as a family by the way) to monitor his limits of activity.

It would have been useful during this flight because there is some emerging evidence that hyperoxia is deleterious in cardiac conditions.

There is also a mistaken belief that pulse oximetry is some type of high tech rocket science but the science of sending different wavelengths of light through pulsatile tissue and assessing the difference to calculate oxyhemoglobin percentage is straightforward and been known for decades even before Masimo & their own Tim Sweeney existed.

Masimo has appended the wikipedia page on pulse-oximetry to add some complexity in this regard and I am sure that they have offered some unique refinements because they need to detect reflected light but still…

with millions of Apple Watches in use, it seems like a stretch to discount that their has been no utility to this feature.
    I am a physician too.

Any of us would administer oxygen to someone who suddenly develops shortness of breath IRRESPECTIVE of their oxygen saturation. So, attributing the Apple watch feature as "helping to save" the passenger's life" is hyperbole. 
    dewme
  • Reply 15 of 21
    LuvMacs said:
    badmonk said:

I am a physician too.

Any of us would administer oxygen to someone who suddenly develops shortness of breath IRRESPECTIVE of their oxygen saturation. So, attributing the Apple watch feature as "helping to save" the passenger's life" is hyperbole. 
    So based solely on a clinical assessment of an individual presenting with SoB, your immediate TX is to apply O2 but performing an additional, readily available, simple and non-invasive confirmatory test prior to applying said O2 is hyperbole. OK /s.
    edited January 22
  • Reply 16 of 21
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    As part of his efforts, Dr Riaz used an Apple Watch borrowed from the crew to try and monitor her vitals. "The Apple Watch helped me to find out the patient had low oxygen saturation," he explained.
    Er, the aircraft didn't have a first aid kit with AED, BP and pulse-ox devices?

Great that the Doctor improvised and was able to perform a diagnosis. Not great that the aircraft didn't have a well outfitted first aid kit, or perhaps the crew didn't know about it, which isn't great either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    tht said:
    Er, the aircraft didn't have a first aid kit with AED, BP and pulse-ox devices?

Great that the Doctor improvised and was able to perform a diagnosis. Not great that the aircraft didn't have a well outfitted first aid kit, or perhaps the crew didn't know about it, which isn't great either.
    It appears that pulse-ox devices didn't make the cut.

Current regulation last updated in 2006!
    https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/22516

2014 article.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3789915/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    omasou said:
    LuvMacs said:
    badmonk said:

I am a physician too.

So based solely on a clinical assessment of an individual presenting with SoB, your immediate TX is to apply O2 but performing an additional, readily available, simple and non-invasive confirmatory test prior to applying said O2 is hyperbole. OK /s.
    Administration of supplemental oxygen prior to triage, IRRESPECTIVE of oxygen saturation, is a vital component of management of a person who suddenly develops shortness of breath. A trained health professional would not withhold administration of oxygen EVEN IF oxygen saturation was normal. 
    edited January 22 dewmeMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    MplsP said:
    williamh said:
    omasou said:

According to Masimo:

Yes, but it's poor reasoning. Apple didn't steal everything from Masimo, so even if their implementation uses Masimo's patents it is not the same device and thus can't be automatically considered equivalent. It's like saying Samsung uses the same Qualcomm modem therefore the Galaxy is the same as the iPhone.

Having said that, I think Masimo's claims about the usefulness of Apple's pulse oximetry are not completely accurate and more posturing than reality. The Apple Watch oximeter may not be medical grade but that in no way makes is useless. This story is a perfect example.
    No it would be saying since Apple and Samsung both use the same model of Qualcomm modems they will have similar cellular capabilities not be the same device. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    And behold Masimo has their own smartwatch coming out.. lol 
    watto_cobra