First-gen AirPods Pro update brings firmware up to 6.0

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple has released new firmware for the first-generation AirPods Pro, following after a December update to the second-gen model.

AirPods Pro
AirPods Pro

The update for the AirPods Pro brings the firmware up to version 6.0, build number 6A321. By contrast, the December firmware update affecting the AirPods Pro 2 raised the version to 6.1.34.

Apple doesn't provide release notes for AirPods updates, but the firmware generally includes performance improvements and bug fixes rather than feature changes.

While you can manually force an update of an iPhone or iPad, you can't do the same with AirPods. Instead, the firmware will install automatically while the AirPods are recharging in the charging case, and with a connected iOS device nearby.

How to check your AirPods firmware version

AirPods users can check the current firmware for their audio accessories by accessing the Settings app on their iPhone or iPad.

1. Open the Settings App

2. Select General

3. Select About

4. Select the AirPods you wish to view

5. A menu will appear showing relevant device information

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    There are release nots for AirPods firmware, on that page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/106340
    However, it still lists 6A300 as the latest firmware for AirPods Pro 1st gen.

Version 6A321 release notes

• Bug fixes and other improvements

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Actually it lists 6A321 as the latest for the 1st gen AirPods Pro as well:

Latest firmware versions

• AirPods Pro (1st generation): 6A321

An easier way to see what the firmware is, at least on my iPhone, is to open Settings and just below the owner ID are the settings for my AirPods Pro, if they're connected. 

But what I'd really like to know is how long I need to have my AirPods Pro connected to my iPhone before the firmware is updated. It's been over four hours. 
    edited January 24 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I know it's a first world problem, but I find it quite annoying when these device firmware updates are announced but there is no apparent way for me to trigger the update. I like having total control over the management of my devices and would love it if Apple would develop a device management console so I could inventory, manage, and update the software and firmware versions on all of my Apple devices from one place. If they want to constrain it to a single LAN, no problem. If Apple wants to process all of this through some sort of Git-like version control system on the device management console, no problem. Having local access to previous versions may aid in device recovery, de-bricking, and rollback of devices that get hosed during an update (which I admit is very rare).

I don't like having to physically touch or perform on-device updates when all of my devices are on the same physical LAN and associated with the same Apple ID. It would be nice to be able to trigger updates to my 5 Apple TVs from a Mac or an iPad and trigger updates to my Apple Watch from devices other than an iPhone, even if the iPhone is still serving as a device management proxy.

It would be one thing if Apple was consistent across the board, but they are not. Why can I update my HomePods from the Home app but not my Apple TVs? 

I have no problem with Apple automagically doing these updates in the background if the updates are pending too long and the owner/admin has indicated they want automagic updates to take place. But for those of us who want control over the configuration management and device management their devices the current update model is frustratingly annoyance and disheveled. 
    muthuk_vanalingamfred1watto_cobra