Chrome's new AI update brings a smart twist to browsing & text composition

Posted:
in General Discussion

Google Chrome's recent update introduces generative AI capabilities to enhance browser themes, assist in text composition, and incorporate a feature familiar to Safari users.

Google Chrome logo with a red, yellow, and green circle surrounding a smaller blue circle at the center against a black background.
Google Chrome's recent update introduces generative AI

The recent update to Google Chrome introduces generative AI features that enhance the browser's functionality. These include assistance in text composition, improved organization of tabs, and the creation of customizable themes, contributing to a more user-friendly experience and demonstrating the evolving role of AI technology in Google Chrome.

Navigating the web with AI

At the heart of the update is the 'Tab Organizer,' a tool designed to manage multiple browser tabs. It's similar to the Tab Groups that Apple introduced in iOS 17, but with an AI twist.

By automatically grouping open tabs into coherent categories based on content similarity, the Tab Organizer turns a jumbled collection of pages into neatly arranged sets, such as 'Summer Clothes Search' or 'Road Trip Itinerary Ideas.'

A hand holding a blue smartphone with the Google logo, in front of an open laptop displaying a blog post about the phone.
Navigating the web with AI

To activate the function, right-click on a tab and choose "Organize Similar Tabs," or use the drop-down arrow on the left side of your tabs. Chrome will also recommend names and emojis for these newly formed groups, making it more straightforward to locate them for future use.

Personalized browser themes with AI

Introducing an AI-driven theme creator allows users to generate unique browser themes based on specific prompts. Whether it's a mood, a color palette, or a particular style, Chrome's text-to-image diffusion model can create a bespoke theme that reflects the user's taste.

A screenshot of a Google Chrome browser window displaying a Northern Lights-themed background with search bar, shortcut icons, and a sidebar for theme customization.
Personalized browser themes with AI

From serene landscapes to vibrant abstract patterns, the possibilities for personalization are virtually limitless. For additional ideas, take a look at an assortment of the Chrome team's preferred theme designs.

AI-assisted writing

Chrome's new 'Help Me Write' feature can help users who often find themselves at a loss for words. The AI-based tool offers real-time assistance in drafting text directly within the browser.

It's ideal for various purposes, whether composing a thoughtful restaurant review, creating a polite party RSVP, or drafting a formal apartment rental inquiry. Right-click on any text box or field in Chrome and choose "Help me write."

A screenshot of a web browser displaying a
AI-assisted writing

Start with a few initial words, and the AI will assist in initiating your writing. Google will include the feature in a Chrome for macOS update in February.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I wouldn’t trust Chrome as far as I can throw it. It is absolutely evil. It messes with the Mac Windowing Manager something fierce. You can read all about at chromeisbad.com
    StrangeDaysMichae1chasmwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Same “letter writing” feature showing up on LinkedIn — and I won’t use it there either. Phony canned letters, what’s the point? Have I no voice of my own?
    tokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    Just a reminder: Google Chrome is a safe and secure browser, but it is in NO WAY private. Google keeps track of everything the browser does and where it goes, even in “private” browser mode.

In short, it’s not Safari or Firefox.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I wouldn’t trust Chrome as far as I can throw it. It is absolutely evil. It messes with the Mac Windowing Manager something fierce. You can read all about at chromeisbad.com
    2020 is ages ago in tech.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 6
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    Same “letter writing” feature showing up on LinkedIn — and I won’t use it there either. Phony canned letters, what’s the point? Have I no voice of my own?
    If it can reach a point where you can't discern whether it is phony or canned it is mission accomplished. It's getting there. 

However, some things will never be morally right IMO (detectable or not) so writing something from the heart for example must be your own writing not that of 'someone' else even if that technology will one day be able to write in the same way you do.

We've been applying quick filters to enhance our appearance in photos for years now. There is a generation of kids out there that will end up with photos of their dead grandparents that look nothing like them. 

The same will happen with words. 

Also, in a TikTok world of short attention spans we have to accept that a lot of people just won't have the 'time' to sit down and compose/refine what they want to say. 

This kind of AI is an extension of the classic stock letter, just infinitely more flexible. 

There will be good and bad uses for it. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Chrome ha.ha.ha.....
    williamlondonwatto_cobra