Browsers like Chrome and Firefox can abandon WebKit in EU with iOS 17.4

Posted:
in iOS

EU regulations in the Digital Markets Act have forced Apple to allow full versions of third-party browsers on iPhone, and Apple isn't happy.

Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and DuckDuckGo browser icons
Alternate browser choices

Safari runs on Apple's WebKit engine, and other browsers on iPhone have been required to use WebKit until now, at least in the EU. Starting in iOS 17.4, users will be prompted with the ability to set up a default third-party web browser upon launching Safari.

The change arrives alongside many other sweeping changes enacted by the Digital Markets Act. It forces Apple to change how the App Store and commerce works in the EU.

Besides side loading and alternative app stores, Apple snuck in another change required by the DMA -- alternative browsers and engines. Chrome can now use Chromium, for example.

When users first launch Safari while running iOS 17.4 in the EU, they will be presented with the option to change to a different default browser. Apple's messaging on this change was clearly negative.

This change is a result of the DMA's requirements, and means that EU users will be confronted with a list of default browsers before they have the opportunity to understand the options available to them. The screen also interrupts EU users' experience the first time they open Safari intending to navigate to a webpage.

Any browser available in the App Store may appear as an option. Updates with the new web engines will likely come as soon as the developers can implement the change.

Read on AppleInsider

gatorguy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 242member
    I can't wait to have Google Chrome as my default browser! Oh, never mind. I *can* wait.
    AllMwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    I’m generally okay with most of the things the EU has done to foster competition, but this might be a step too far. Hijacking the landing page of my default browser, even only once, is a security risk. If the EU can do it, so can hackers.

Also, hey EU peeps, the reason Safari is opening on my device is because a) I pressed on the app icon to open it, or b) it’s already my default browser. Either way, trying to force me to look at your **AD** for other browsers is the absolute LEAST LIKELY way to get me to consider changing browsers.

Now it’s not like there aren’t other very fine browsers out there. I know, I check around from time to time. On my own. Without help from the nannies at the EC.

With Safari, I know exactly what I’m getting in terms of privacy and security — the best available. With DuckDuckGo and browsers similar to it, I know what I’m getting. With some very well known browsers, however, I **do not** know what I’m getting because they are obtuse about their actual security and privacy, especially Chrome (which only got to be the world’s most popular browser by literally **nagging** people — nobody’s stupid enough to think it’s the world’s best browser).

If the EU would truly focus on user privacy and security on the web, Chrome would be off the market (at least in the EU) in a week. And the EU would finally have done the world some good for internet users.
    thtAllMbyronlwilliamlondonrundhvidolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    The EU has now learned that when it makes any demands, of any type, hardware or software, even against user privacy and security, Apple will capitulate.
    byronl
  • Reply 4 of 11
    bring on full-fledged Arc browser for iOS/iPadOS
    AllMbyronlwilliamlondonchasm
  • Reply 5 of 11
    The EU has now learned that when it makes any demands, of any type, hardware or software, even against user privacy and security, Apple will capitulate.

You say that like the company is spineless. The EU is the master regulatory body for the continent. If Apple wants to sell its products in EU countries, it can file a few years' worth of appeals on rules it doesn't like, but, in the end, it has no choice but to capitulate if it wants to keep doing business there. The same situation applies in China.
    bala1234williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MaxLe0p0ldMaxLe0p0ld Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    It would be great to get also a Browser finally on AppleTV - as a better Home Theater Box - tied to a Bluetooth Keyboard...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member

The EU is only 19% of the worldwide sales for Apple Computer and that number is falling, and like the UK they have a overinflated view of themselves the next growth areas in the world won't involve them, when a company like Transsion comes out of nowhere the future battlegrounds are elsewhere going into the mid century. This is like Brexit one of the last battle cries of the old world.

Apple has fought hard to not do regional splits but they will if comes to it in the end. (its time for Apple to think of entire world the other 2/3 is growing fast)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsion

https://seekingalpha.com/news/4059069-apple-app-store-eu-changes-to-have-limited-financial-impact Oops even less Appstore sales?

edited January 26 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    And what country did they figure that out from? ;)
    ctt_zh
  • Reply 9 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    Not true, but bear in mind there ARE upsides as well as downsides to these mandates. The GDPR was a *fantastic* piece of legislation that enables privacy-focused users like myself to reject intrusive and optional cookies. Yes, the “cost” of that is when visiting new websites I have to tell them my preferences, but it makes me happy to know that they have to respect my choices.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    What I think will happen is that hardly any users will do any business outside of Apple's own App Store due to better safety, smacking pie in the face of the EU.  The result will be the EU demanding that Apple open up the App Store to 3rd-party apps because whiny developers.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    sflocal said:
    What I think will happen is that hardly any users will do any business outside of Apple's own App Store due to better safety, smacking pie in the face of the EU.  The result will be the EU demanding that Apple open up the App Store to 3rd-party apps because whiny developers.  
    How would it be pie in the face of the EU? 

They aren't pushing users to do business outside the Apple App Store. 

They have pushed Apple to give developers and users choice
    muthuk_vanalingam