After years off Apple's App Store, 'Fortnite' will reappear in the EU

Posted:
in iOS edited January 29

Epic Games has announced that it will bring the much-beloved battle royale game "Fortnite" back to the iPhone and iPad in 2024 -- but only in Europe.

Image Credit: Epic Games
Image Credit: Epic Games

On Thursday, Epic Games posted that it plans to launch its own Epic Games store for iOS in Europe later this year. Of course, the company couldn't resist taunting Apple in the post, either.

Currently, there is no concrete date for the launch of the Epic Games Store. Epic CEO Tim Sweeney originally promised a 2023 return.

Fortnite will return to iOS in Europe in 2024, distributed by the upcoming @EpicGames Store for iOS. Stay tuned for details as we figure out the regulatory timeline. We'll continue to argue to the courts and regulators that Apple is breaking the law. https://t.co/MHh6EGVinC

-- Epic Games Newsroom (@EpicNewsroom)

As Epic Games Newsroom notes, the company will need to figure out the regulatory timeline. The company also stated that it would "continue to argue to the courts and regulators that Apple is breaking the law."

Epic's decision to bring Fortnite back to iOS was spurred by Apple's recent announcement that as of iOS 17.4, developers will be allowed to offer alternative app stores in the European Union.

On Thursday, Epic CEO Tim Sweeney fired back at Apple for implementing an "anticompetitive scheme rife with junk fees."

Epic and Apple were locked in a seemingly never-ending legal battle that began in 2020 when Epic first skirted Apple's rules for in-app purchases. The US Supreme Court declined to hear both Epic's and Apple's appeal, so that aspect of the saga has ended.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    why are they even bother come back to apple? we don't even feel the lost when they left, they should stay that way. if they don't want to be on the App Store then don't come back at all. even if apple have option, I still would use App Store. why would I want to expose my sensitive information to another website or company when apple can take care everything for me.
    rob53strongywilliamlondonracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I can’t see it happening. The apps will have to be notarized by Apple and Epic might not even be allowed an Apple Developer account 😂 
    rob53williamlondonchasmracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    Apple gets to approve who does an app store.   Epic broke there developer agreement.  They don’t even have a developer account now 

DOA 
    danoxwilliamlondonchasmracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    The “Epic A-Hole” cause the removal of Fortnite in the first place and proved that Epic doesn’t care about their iOS or Apple customers. It was said that Apple accounted for only 7% of Fortnite income and was therefore only a minor loss for the company. 

Tim Sweeney is only interested in getting more money out of his customers. His fight for an Epic Store will show just how greedy he really is. I suspect that within a month of it being available there will be significant complaints and issues with Fortnite and any other game Epic releases through its store. 

CuJoYYCstrongydanoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Not sure what Sweeney thinks they're going to "argue". Epic is not part of the regulatory authority. The court system has no role. 
    CuJoYYCdanoxwilliamlondonchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member

Sometimes you just say no, this is one of them a Flash moment.....
    edited January 26 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    I rate their chances of getting approval for their Epic Store for iOS to be approximately nil.

Apple has voided their license with what appears to be a lifetime ban, as is their right (and no, the EU can’t overrule them, since Epic was aware of the penalty for breaking the rules and broke them anyway).

Apple would be INCREDIBLY foolish to reinstate Epic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Fortnite is so 2019. The kids have moved on. 
    Tim is gonna need a new grift. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    chasm said:
    I rate their chances of getting approval for their Epic Store for iOS to be approximately nil.

Apple has voided their license with what appears to be a lifetime ban, as is their right (and no, the EU can’t overrule them, since Epic was aware of the penalty for breaking the rules and broke them anyway).

Apple would be INCREDIBLY foolish to reinstate Epic.
    I wouldn't be so sure. 

We have yet to know what the EU thinks about the fine print in Apple’s plans. 

The idea of Apple having the last word over what stores are approved might be frowned upon, as might the imposition by Apple that certain financial backing is also required. 

And then there is the fact that any Epic App Store would not technically be from the same company that is battling Apple in the US. No doubt an Epic EU company, constituted within the EU would handle that. 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    Isn't Fortnite kinda old now? Is EPIC Games really banking on this being their flagship game for the rest of their existence? Why don't they focus on making something else instead of pouring all of their resources on taking on the company that can make help make them money? 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    I log on to the Epic Games Store on Mac every now and then to check what free games they're offering.  Occasionally there's something good, but I would never buy anything from there, Steam is far superior.  I probably won't even bother downloading the EGS for iOS, unless it turns out that they offer a lot of free games there too; I'd be much more interested in a Steam App Store for iOS, if such a thing were to be announced.
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    macxpress said:
    Isn't Fortnite kinda old now? Is EPIC Games really banking on this being their flagship game for the rest of their existence? Why don't they focus on making something else instead of pouring all of their resources on taking on the company that can make help make them money? 
    Apparently it's still going strong with over 200m active users per month:

https://www.demandsage.com/fortnite-statistics/
    https://www.sportskeeda.com/fortnite/fortnite-breaks-record-44-7-million-players-epic-games-thanks-community
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/746230/fortnite-players/

Over 44m in one day in November last year.

Recently another game has been making headlines but it may not stick:

https://www.ign.com/articles/palworlds-daily-active-players-briefly-surpassed-fortnite-on-xbox-in-the-us
    https://steamcharts.com/

Fortnite has been running for 6 years and it seems inevitable that people would stop playing but GTA V is over 10 years old and people are still playing, same with Counter-Strike (over 20 years):

https://www.twitchmetrics.net/games/viewership

Epic is banking on Fortnite being their main source of income, it generates a few billion per year:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1234106/epic-games-annual-revenue/

They want it to be a virtual universe that people use all the time. But, 90% of their player base is emotionally unstable men under 30:

I guess they will have a player base as long as that group doesn't find something better to do with their time. It's not producing healthy behavior in young people.

It is risky to put all the company's stability on one product, that's probably why the built the Epic Game Store. Their Unreal Engine revenue isn't enough but with a game store like Valve that has hundreds of millions of players buying games, that could eventually generate billions in profit every year and they want the same store on iOS and Android.

They (and Tencent) basically want some/all of the billions that Apple and Google make from app store games for themselves.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    It’s not just the App Store that’s blocking Epic. But they also lost their Apple developer license. This seems to be the main reason why they can’t continue updating Fortnite on macOS.
    chasmwatto_cobra