Apple will expand SharePlay music control to HomePod and Apple TV in iOS 17.4 and tvOS 17....

Posted:
in iOS

Apple will allow friends and family to control music playing on the HomePod or Apple TV in its next update -- and here's how you can do it in the beta.

Red Apple Music icon set against a red background
Apple Music

SharePlay is a feature tied to FaceTime and iMessage that allows users to interact with apps and media simultaneously. It was revealed alongside iOS 15 as a FaceTime feature, then added to iMessage with iOS 16.

The feature has allowed users to watch movies, listen to music, and do Apple Fitness+ workouts together. But it has been absent from the HomePod and Apple TV -- until now. The new feature was spotted by MacRumors.

Currently, the feature is limited to the Apple Music app, but users don't need an Apple Music subscription to participate. Users do, however, need permission from the primary user.

To use SharePlay with HomePod, primary users can tap the SharePlay icon at the bottom of the Music app screen. It will show a QR code, which other users can scan with their smartphone. Scanning the code grants access to music controls.

To use SharePlay with Apple TV, primary users can bring up a QR code for guests to scan. Scanning the code grants access to music controls.

The first beta of iOS 17.4 has arrived and is an unusually large update. Aside from new features and new emoji, Apple is also allowing third-party app stores for the EU, and there are references to unreleased devices.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Still waiting for feature that when i come home, the music from my iPhone can continue playing on my Apple TV…