New wave of iPads expected in late March hardware releases

Posted:
in iPad edited January 30

Apple's OLED update for the iPad Pro and M3 MacBook Air models are being manufactured ready for a release at the end of March, a report claims.

12.9-inch iPad Pro
12.9-inch iPad Pro

Major changes are expected for the iPad lineup as part of its 2024 updates, after not receiveing a single change in 2023. Those changes could arrive within a few months, with an end-of-March hardware launch speculated to occur.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman expects that the iPad Pro, iPad Air, a larger iPad Air, and M3 versions of the 13-inch MacBook Air and 15-inch MacBook Air are on the way.

A source told him that the models are "likely to come out around the end of March." The same source also said the iPad Pro updates and the 13-inch MacBook Air are "already deep in production overseas."

Along with the main hardware, the first beta of iOS 17.4 apparently includes clues of accessories that will arrive at the same time, including Magic Keyboards and Apple Pencils. Furthermore, there is the claim that the iPad Pros could benefit from a landscape Face ID camera.

The rumor is fairly believable, given previous reporting on Apple's hardware changes, such as the M3 iPad Pro's probability of a price rise and a new version of the iPad Air with a larger display.

There's also Apple's tendency to launch new hardware in March, which fits in with the report's timing for launch.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    At the current price point, OLEDs would be a welcome edition. If they will increase the price, I'm not sold on it. Stick with the micro-LEDs.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    I was looking for an iPad in the run up to Christmas but backed off completely when I saw prices were high and nothing new had been released in 2023. I spent the money on something else. 
  • Reply 3 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Finally will replace my iPP10.5 with an iPP12.9.

I’ll be losing some mobility and handling qualities with a 13” display, and maybe not being able to use it in bed. In trade, hopefully, Stage Manager gets more updates to increase the number of app views per Stage. 

The virtual keyboard will hopefully be improved. Would like to have a trackpad key to activate a virtual trackpad. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I really can’t justify an iPad Air or Pro based on my uses for a tablet, and I desperately need to replace my iPad Gen 5.  But the Gen 9 and Gen 10 iPads are just deficient in enough areas to not be desirable to me.  Apple seems to limit some features on these basic iPads (no USB-C, or compatible with Apple Pencil 1, keyboard limitations, display resolution, etc.) that I am really hoping that the Gen 11 iPad will have all of the essentials that I seek in order to replace my Gen 5 iPad and last me for another 5-6 years.
    9secondkox2egold44bala1234williamlondonpulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Staying with iPad Air 5 and M1 MacBook Air for now. No compelling reason to upgrade in my use case. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 12
    12.9 Air would be the sweet spot for me, personally. Currently have the 12.9 iPP 5th gen and only because I prefer the larger screen for my personal use case. The software limitations dont allow me to use adobe creative suite in its full capacity and even with an M1 on board, working with files from a high speed USB c drive connected to the iPP, its slow and laggy. Would LOVE an iPP that can replace my laptop fully in a creative environment, but it’s just not there yet and maybe never will be. So an Air with 12.9, irregardless of the processor is my choice. Will be nice to have color options besides black and silver finally. Hopefully it works with my existing Magic Keyboard.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    tht said:
    Finally will replace my iPP10.5 with an iPP12.9.

I’ll be losing some mobility and handling qualities with a 13” display, and maybe not being able to use it in bed. In trade, hopefully, Stage Manager gets more updates to increase the number of app views per Stage. 

The virtual keyboard will hopefully be improved. Would like to have a trackpad key to activate a virtual trackpad. 
    Replaced my 10.5 with an 11 last year. It’s an awesome upgrade over that timeframe, but in the end iterative. Unfortunately for me it is a work iPad, and I am about to change jobs at the beginning of March, so I won’t get a smooth overlap if I wait for the oled one to set up as a personal device.

oh, and I would like a 15 inch to put on a iMac G4
    edited January 29
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I just want iPad to run Mac OS. Otherwise my m1 iPad will be enough for the foreseeable future.  
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    rbnetengr said:
    I really can’t justify an iPad Air or Pro based on my uses for a tablet, and I desperately need to replace my iPad Gen 5.  But the Gen 9 and Gen 10 iPads are just deficient in enough areas to not be desirable to me.  Apple seems to limit some features on these basic iPads (no USB-C, or compatible with Apple Pencil 1, keyboard limitations, display resolution, etc.) that I am really hoping that the Gen 11 iPad will have all of the essentials that I seek in order to replace my Gen 5 iPad and last me for another 5-6 years.
    The 10th Gen iPad has a USB-C port for charging, an external monitor, and to charge a first generation Apple Pencil.   The 9th gen iPad was the last one with a lightning port. 
    thtchasmpulseimages
  • Reply 10 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    I really get a lot of use out of my iPad Pro 11-inch (guess what I’m typing this on right now via a Magic Keyboard), but I’m already starting to see software that doesn’t run on non-M chips, so an update is in my future.

There’s a rumour going around that the iPads will gain OLED (great) and a huge price increase (not great), but if the increase is modest I’ll probably bite. Curious to see if the Magic Keyboard gets the alleged redesign and whether said device will only work with the new models or not.

In truth, I really should upgrade my iPhone first, but I have a newer work iPhone so that can wait another year.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    schlack said:
    At the current price point, OLEDs would be a welcome edition. If they will increase the price, I'm not sold on it. Stick with the micro-LEDs.

A welcome addition, yes.  For some use cases, and depending on how susceptible to burn-in the display is, along with what kind of burn-in coverage that Apple Care will have, or what kind of mitigation Apple builds into the device.

OLED is beautiful to watch, but it does have it's problems.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    schlack said:

A welcome addition, yes.  For some use cases, and depending on how susceptible to burn-in the display is, along with what kind of burn-in coverage that Apple Care will have, or what kind of mitigation Apple builds into the device.

OLED is beautiful to watch, but it does have it's problems.
    Apple is rumored to use two-stack OLED technology. This design is supposed to make OLEDs more robust and more energy efficient. Existing and earlier OLED displays use single stack OLED technology, of which some, especially the ones in the early to mid 2010s, have the aging and burn-in issues that OLEDs are susceptible to.

So, they are trying to get their ducks in a row with two-stack OLEDs for iPad Pro and MBP displays. This might be the last "OLED" round of tech before Apple moves on to microLEDs.
    beowulfschmidt