Apple TV+ renews Idris Elba's high-octane thriller 'Hijack'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

After a critically acclaimed first season, "Hijack," a gripping thriller starring and executive produced by Idris Elba, will return to Apple TV+ for a second season.

'Hijack' returns to Apple TV+ for a second season
'Hijack' returns to Apple TV+ for a second season | Image Credit: Apple TV+

"I was floored by the overwhelming audience response after season one. It's top secret what new situation unfolds for Sam Nelson but I can assure you we will bring the high octane back!," Elba said in a press release.

"Hijack," follows the journey of a hijacked plane that is on a seven-hour flight to London while authorities on the ground struggle to solve the crisis. Elba plays Sam Nelson, a skilled negotiator in the business world who must use all his expertise to rescue the lives of the passengers. It made its debut in June 2023.

The series has gained worldwide recognition as one of the top dramas on Apple TV+. It has received high praise from critics and fans, achieving a Certified Fresh status on Rotten Tomatoes and even making it onto the Nielsen Streaming Originals Top 10 list.

Apple TV+ also recently renewed "The Buccaneers," a drama based on Edith Wharton's unfinished novel started in the 1930s, for a second season.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Show was awesome, but it was a one and done story.
    Skeptical on what a season 2 would look like.
    iOS_Guy80ForumPostentropysJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Hey, if John McClain can keep on getting caught into robbery and extortion situations, so can this dude.
    ackpfftronnMacProForumPostmattinoztenthousandthingslolliverStrangeDaysentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I just watched a coupled of episodes and lost interest.   If Apple renewed this, then they have to renew Monarch.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Enjoyed the first few episodes but toward the end it got pretty woke and the hero pretty lame. He went from being Reacher to being in touch with his feminine side. Perfect for the new Hollywood and Apple unfortunately. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 14
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    Rick601 said:
    Enjoyed the first few episodes but toward the end it got pretty woke and the hero pretty lame. He went from being Reacher to being in touch with his feminine side. Perfect for the new Hollywood and Apple unfortunately. 
    1) You got offended because Elba's character wasn't blowing the misogynistic dog whistle you needed to hear? LOL

2) If you think that Jack Reacher is a misogynist then you clearly are projecting your ideology into Lee Child's character. 
    ronnchasmwilliamlondonForumPosttenthousandthingsmattinozlolliverStrangeDaysAlex_Vmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    I'll gladly watch another season. I was mildly disappointed with the last ep... because I wanted more. And there are several loose ends that are ripe for tying up next season.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    Rick601 said:
    I think your perception of what’s wrong with the show stems from your own obvious problems, not the show’s.
    williamlondonForumPostjibronntenthousandthingslolliverStrangeDaysAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    I kept wanting somebody to shoot the plane down. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Rick601 said:
    Can you define “woke” for us? Because when I head that phrase I assume the speaker is a complete dipshit who doesn’t even know what he’s referring to. Please clarify 
    chasmronnAlex_V13485
  • Reply 10 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    tht said:
    Hey, if John McClain can keep on getting caught into robbery and extortion situations, so can this dude.
    And that Indiana Jones chap managed three movies.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    As long as each series is an interesting story, like Reacher, or just about any k-drama. Each series is complete on its own.
     thing is, a new story doesn’t need the same character. If based on a series of books, sure. But shoehorning the same Everyman character in an unusual situation into a different unusual situation often ends up getting either not interesting, or just silly. (See Indy 4 and 5), John McLain after the Christmas movie, terminator movies after the second one. Need I go on?).
    For a while there was talk about a second series of Gambit on Netflix. Now that was a great story. But a second series would just trash the whole thing.
    Try to keep up any series too long and they always end up jumping the shark.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Xed said:
    Rick601 said:
    1) You got offended because Elba's character wasn't blowing the misogynistic dog whistle you needed to hear? LOL

2) If you think that Jack Reacher is a misogynist then you clearly are projecting your ideology into Lee Child's character. 
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Just as long as it’s the same as yours. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Rick601 said:
    Can you define “woke” for us? Because when I head that phrase I assume the speaker is a complete dipshit who doesn’t even know what he’s referring to. Please clarify 
    Lol
    edited February 2
  • Reply 14 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    entropys said:
    tht said:
    And that Indiana Jones chap managed three movies.
    Wait, what? Are you denying the existing of the last two?
    watto_cobra