Apple Vision devs see evidence of apps being tested on visionOS 2.0

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro shipments start in just days, and AppleInsider has obtained information showing that Apple is already testing visionOS 2.0.0.

'Hello Apple Vision Pro' ad spot
'Hello Apple Vision Pro' ad spot

The reference to the future Apple Vision Pro operating system was found in an app developers's backend server logs. AppleInsider was provided the information under the condition of anonymity for the developer.

Data provided to us shows there are two versions of visionOS being used inside Apple, visible to external developers. It's not clear if visionOS 2.0.0 is being used for app review.

visionOS | 2.0.0 | RealityDevice14,1visionOS | 1.0.0 | RealityDevice14,1

Apple's
visionOS 1.0.1 update was made available on January 23, and was pre-loaded on some Apple Vision Pro devices seeded for early reviews -- but not all. The 1.0.2 update arrived just minutes ago, on Wednesday afternoon.

Neither visionOS 1.1 nor visionOS 1.0.1 appeared in this app developer log. To date, only visionOS 1.0.0 and visionOS 2.0.0 are present.

Information we've been provided suggests that visionOS 2.0.0 is installed on actual devices, but it's impossible to be 100% certain. The 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 versions are only available for actual hardware and not the simulator.

As expected, visionOS 2.0 is expected to be unveiled at WWDC 24 in June.

Expected much sooner than WWDC, visionOS 1.1 has appeared in numerous pages of Apple's official developer documentation. There is no sign yet of version 1.1 of the Apple Vision Pro operating system otherwise.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    How long was it from Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.1? It was 6 months?

A visionOS announce at WWDC likely means a release in September or October. So 9 months. 

Also, I think Apple has to be thinking of updating the Vision Pro to an M3 SoC in October. Possibly cameras too. 
    InspiredCodeAlex1Nradarthekatdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    It is just around the corner. This will be a fast cycle.
    Alex1Nradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    Given that this is a shipping product with a OS 1.0, it’s only logical that they’re already testing an OS 2.0 update. WWDC is obviously the most likely place it will be announced but unless there are major updates, I expect it will just have its own announcement, or in the state of the union, rather than being a discussion in the main keynote.  
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Can't wait to see a reason to buy this toy.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Vision OS 2.0 may be required for use in some other countries. It will be interesting to see how this all evolves. I don’t think we will see an upgrade to the vision hardware until 2025 at the earliest.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I purchased a Vision Pro in the first round in February to try it out with my regular, non-prism, prescription Zeiss Optical lnserts.  The inserts corrected my vision enough for everything to be in focus, but not being able to have my prisms in the prescription left me with eye misalignment double vision.  I wanted to see how bad it would be for me, and it turned out to be enough to be tedious to use.  I played with the Vision Pro over that first weekend for hours and was completely won over with the technology.  Unfortunately, the eye misalignment proved to be too difficult for me to actually plan to use it hereafter.  So, sadly, I planned to return it before the 14 day return window closed.

I concurrently sent an email off to Apple explaining how much I truly wanted to participate in this next Apple technology journey, but was disappointed that after my 40 year run with Apple products I would have to forego this next phase.  I received a call from Apple the next day that suggested I hold off returning it since a software fix was in the works.  Of course, nothing yet up through version 1.0.3, and I really haven’t heard anything about this for the v.1.1 update expected shortly, which raises the question of whether a new Accessibility feature will be added to another update soon.

So, my question is this.  Does anyone have any insight into whether a new Accessibility feature to address this lack of prism support eye alignment in the initial software release product will be included in any upcoming visionOS update?  I’m sure we have some developers here who may have seen some new feature sets, if not the actual code yet. Just fishing.  I really want to start using my Vision Pro.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member
    All Apples OS these are built to a common core. 
    So, are Developers also seeing iOS18/iPadOS18/MacOS15? 
    Is this any earlier or later than the next bump in the core anyway?