Apple to continue using Qualcomm 5G modems through March 2027

Posted:
in iPhone

A statement made during the Qualcomm earnings call revealed Apple has extended its 5G modem patent license agreement through March 2027.

A hand holding an iPhone 15 displaying an article about iPhone 15 Pro Max camera capabilities with a photo of the phone.
iPhone 15

Apple and Qualcomm are stuck in a strained relationship a little bit longer. In-house development of an Apple-made modem continues to encounter issues, leading Apple to extend its agreement with Qualcomm.

According to a post from Ben Bajarin on X, Qualcomm mentioned Apple's licensing agreement during its earnings call. Apple has extended its global patent license agreement for an additional two years.

Previous reports suggested Apple had contracts through 2026 for the Snapdragon 5G Modem-RF Systems. The new extension pushes that contract to March 2027.

Apple purchased Intel's modem patents for $1 billion in 2019 in an attempt to begin in-house modem development. Reports of issues with Apple's modem have cropped up regularly since, suggesting Apple is at least three years behind Qualcomm.

Apple's iPhone 15 lineup uses Qualcomm's 5G modem. With this latest deal, it seems likely that Apple won't have an in-house modem ready until iPhone 19.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    No wonder intel gave up and sold the patents.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I wonder how much Apple invests per year into this effort.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    A LOT! That being said, they’re a multi-trillion dollar company. They have more than enough money to continue this investment without feeling it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I wonder whether this is a case of Apple taking its time or that they’ve encountered serious setbacks in the development process?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I think Apples main problem are the patents Qualcomm have.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member

13 years to replace Intel, Apple Maps 12 years in and on going, 10 years for the Apple Vision, and they are 6 years in on project Apple modem, imagine what the Apple Vision could be with a Apple modem inside? Make no mistake Apple will replace Qualcomm in the future. Future Apple projects demand it. How do you get to that pair of small Apple glasses on your face.

I thought everyone wanted Apple to innovate their way into the future? :)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    am8449 said:
    I wonder whether this is a case of Apple taking its time or that they’ve encountered serious setbacks in the development process?
    See Googles Tensor SOC and the modem they currently use in the Pixel Pro which needs to phone home for all major tasks involving over hyped AI.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mobile-benchmarks (Note Samsung and Google are 8 core SOC and Apple is 6 core SOC)

Also note: Apple puts the smallest amount of memory and battery in their phones and tablets in comparison to competition. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    That should not be an issue. Cross licencing deals abound, and even before Intel roadmapped its initial plans for a 5G modem, the patent situation would have been cleared. No one would move forward with this kind of project without patent clearance. 

Apple actually got a massive leg up in that area because when it bought Intel's division, a lot of patents were included in the deal. 

Accumulated knowledge and bleeding edge engineering capacity on wireless is possibly an issue. Competitors like Qualcomm and Huawei have a clear advantage here and it shows. 

Apple bit off a lot and now has to try and chew through it. 

• Reply 9 of 12
    danox said:

13 years to replace Intel, Apple Maps 12 years in and on going, 10 years for the Apple Vision, and they are 6 years in on project Apple modem, imagine what the Apple Vision could be with a Apple modem inside? Make no mistake Apple will replace Qualcomm in the future. Future Apple projects demand it. How do you get to that pair of small Apple glasses on your face.

They were only able to replace Intel because Intel was incompetent. Even AMD was better than Intel during that period.

I don't see Apple Maps winning over Google Maps by just being single platform, while the other is multi-platform and less privacy friendly. Currently Apple Map's best capabilities are limited to major cities in the US and only there do they touch the level of Google Maps, everywhere else Apple Maps is worse. Also, unlike Intel, Google is competent (unless they cancel the project themselves) so catching up would be hard.

I will hold off judgement for the Vision Pro till the 3rd or 4th generation.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 12
    rax_mark said:
    danox said:

They were only able to replace Intel because Intel was incompetent. Even AMD was better than Intel during that period.

I don't see Apple Maps winning over Google Maps by just being single platform, while the other is multi-platform and less privacy friendly. Currently Apple Map's best capabilities are limited to major cities in the US and only there do they touch the level of Google Maps, everywhere else Apple Maps is worse. Also, unlike Intel, Google is competent (unless they cancel the project themselves) so catching up would be hard.

I will hold off judgement for the Vision Pro till the 3rd or 4th generation.

No need it is the best of its type now...... Software and hardware integration, Microsoft is the only one that has a chance why? They have a complete OS in house to build from. Oh and it will take them 5 years.
    edited February 1 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    avon b7 said:
    That should not be an issue. Cross licencing deals abound, and even before Intel roadmapped its initial plans for a 5G modem, the patent situation would have been cleared. No one would move forward with this kind of project without patent clearance. 

Apple actually got a massive leg up in that area because when it bought Intel's division, a lot of patents were included in the deal. 

Accumulated knowledge and bleeding edge engineering capacity on wireless is possibly an issue. Competitors like Qualcomm and Huawei have a clear advantage here and it shows. 

No one believed Apple Silicon until Apple released it and the Apple modem will be the same. If Apple standards were low like Google I'm sure Apple can release a modem equal to what Google currently puts into their Pixel flagship smartphones now but they choose not to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    danox said:
    avon b7 said:

No one believed Apple Silicon until Apple released it and the Apple modem will be the same. If Apple standards were low like Google I'm sure Apple can release a modem equal to what Google currently puts into their Pixel flagship smartphones now but they choose not to.
    Eventually maybe. 

The point is there are obviously issues as Apple has extended its licence with Qualcomm. 
    muthuk_vanalingam