Apple Vision Pro will have over 600 native apps on launch day

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited February 1

Following early doubts over how many developers were creating native apps for the Apple Vision Pro, Apple says it has triple the previous estimates.

Apple's visionOS menu system
Apple's visionOS menu system

Based on third-party estimates, it was previously reported that the Apple Vision Pro's App Store contained only between 150 and 200 apps that had been built specifically for the new device. Apple Vision Pro can also run iPad apps, so its App Store also contains over a million of those.

Now, however, Apple has announced that "more than 600 apps and games designed to take advantage of the unique and powerful capabilities of Apple Vision Pro will be available this Friday, February 2."

"Apple Vision Pro is unlocking the imaginations of our worldwide developer community," Susan Prescott, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations, said, "and we're inspired by the range of spatial experiences they've created for this exciting new platform."

"With more than 600 new spatial experiences to explore in the all-new App Store, alongside more than 1 million compatible apps across iOS and iPadOS," she continued, "users can discover a wide array of apps that expand the boundaries of what's possible."

"These incredible apps will change how we experience entertainment, music, and games; spark our imaginations with new ways to learn and explore; unlock productivity like never before; and so much more," said Prescott. "Developers are already capturing the promise of spatial computing, and we can't wait to see what they create next."

Productivity apps

The productivity apps highlighted by Apple include major titles, such as the previously-announced Microsoft 365, and also:

• OmniFocus

• OmniPlan

• Fantastical

• MindNode

• Box

• Numerics

• JigSpace

• Navi translations

"Apple Vision Pro is a massive step change in technology, akin to iPhone and iPad," Aaron Levie, Box's cofounder and CEO, said. "This breakthrough technology introduces immersive experiences that fundamentally redefine the way we work by delivering visually stunning interactions without physical limitations."

Excel on the Apple Vision Pro
Excel on the Apple Vision Pro | Image Credit: Microsoft

Games on Apple Vision Pro

Apple's count of over 600 apps and games appears to feature some 250 Apple Arcade titles. Those include hits such as NBA 2K24 Arcade Edition, TMNT Splintered Fate, and Halfbrick's Jetpack Joyride.

"Innovation is in our DNA," said Shainiel Deo, Halfbrick's CEO, " so we were super excited to dive into this new technology and take the core gameplay of Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja into new, immersive, and truly captivating experiences, leveraging the incredible technology of the Apple Vision Pro."

Outside of Apple Arcade, the company has also highlighted:

• Loona

• Blackbox

• Voic-X

• Skatrix Pro

ForeFlight's Voyager on Apple Vision Pro
ForeFlight's Voyager on Apple Vision Pro

Strange new worlds

Apple says that a native version of The Archive will be available, and will take users "to a different place to explore immersive locations, artifacts, and spatial media from the beloved mythology of Star Trek's Gene Roddenberry and other legendary creators."

There will also be Voyager by ForeFlight, a spatial air-traffic control app. Plus CARROT Weather, which adds 3D weather maps but keeps its "hilariously twisted forecasts."

Educational apps

Apple Vision Pro will also launch with a slew of education apps available. They range from astronomy to medicine, and include:

• solAR

• Sky Guide and Night Sky

• NASA's Mars Explorer

• Insight Heart

• CellWalk

• Complete HeartX

Shopping and relaxation apps

Naturally, there are shopping apps but at least some appear to be making creative use of Apple Vision Pro's spatial computing. Zillow Immerse, for instance, lets users "get an up-close look inside select listings with virtual home tours and interactive 3D floor plans."

Then both J.Crew Virtual Closet and Mytheresa: Luxury Experience, set out to making finding and choosing clothing easier. Through them, users will be able to see clothes in 3D in their personal environment before buying.

In total, Apple has highlighted shopping apps that will be native to the Apple Vision Pro from launch:

• J.Crew Virtual Closet

• Mytheresa: Luxury Experience

• Zillow Immerse

• Decathlon

• Lowe's Style Studio

• Wayfair Decorify

If shopping is not relaxing for everyone, mindfulness apps should be. At launch, Apple Vision Pro will have Helium, the mindfulness app, to. help them with "stress-reducing memories of nature-based escapes."

There will also be Lungy: Spaces for interactive breathing exercises, and the welness app Odio.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    ForeFlight Voyager looks cool.
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Are the people who claimed Vision Pro launch day would see only 150 native apps the same astrologers who are predicting lower sales numbers for the iPhone 16?
    williamlondondanoxlolliverchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Come on Apple. It needs Terminal.app. Just do it. Put it on iPadOS while you are at it.

Not much talk on how good Safari is? That is a hugely important app. Probably the single most important app. Safari must be desktop quality. Be able to deal with apps that use pop-up windows. Who knows what is done about the trackers, ads, and stuff. If it prevents adware from scroll-jacking and is able to actually select close buttons, it would be great.

Can you play web based games on visionOS Safari?

One nice feature of a web browser I'd like to see is a "Never go to this website" button. Or, something along the lines of identifying if this or that website has x megabytes adware load, don't open up the website. You see a URL, select it, but the web browser will put up a message saying I don't want to visit this web page due to ad load. Unfortunately, some bank websites will have to be let through if there was such a features.

Every once in a while, I think of maybe a text based only web browser being a cool thing to use. They actually had some back in the day. Wonder if I can configure some browser to do this.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    So everyhting I can do on my current mac I can do with Vision Pro and why do I need 3D again?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    So everyhting I can do on my current mac I can do with Vision Pro and why do I need 3D again?
    1) That's not accurate.  There are plenty of things you can do on your Mac that you can't do on AVP, and countless other things you can do with your AVP that will be a poor experience compared to your Mac. But that also doesn't mean that there aren't things that AVP can do that that Mac simply can't compete with it, which is the conclusion that any reasonable person would come to. Now, are the inherent benefits of AVP worth the cost for you? That's for you to answer on your own.

2) Again, why you need (or want) 3D (which I assume is how you're defining VR/AR/XR in AVP) is something you need to figure out for yourself.
    edited February 1 csimmonsmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonlolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Boom! Stay home Netflix and Spotify..... :wink: 
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    “In total, Apple has identified XX shopping apps that will be native at launch” I only counted IV or V in the list. Not close to XX apps.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    “In total, Apple has identified XX shopping apps that will be native at launch” I only counted IV or V in the list. Not close to XX apps.
    As the article clearly states, these are the apps that have appeared BEFORE the launch. The product hasn’t launched yet, so the Vision Pro App Store is not yet available, so we don’t have the full list yet.

Sorry if you missed that. Check back in a few days once some of the AI staff get their AVPs and can investigate the VP App Store once it opens.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    I was told the developer community had no interest in AVP. Guess they do after all. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    chasm said:
    As the article clearly states, these are the apps that have appeared BEFORE the launch. The product hasn’t launched yet, so the Vision Pro App Store is not yet available, so we don’t have the full list yet.

Sorry if you missed that. Check back in a few days once some of the AI staff get their AVPs and can investigate the VP App Store once it opens.
    The original article was edited to remove the XX that I quoted which was clearly meant to be a placeholder for an actual count of apps due to the intro lead “In total,”. But rather than provide the count, the author removed the XX but quizzically left in the lead which begs for an actual count. Makes me think they used ChatGPT to assemble the article and didn’t actually read it.

Anyway, I suppose my attempt at sarcastic humor fell flat in intimating that the author intended to use Roman numerals all along. Sorry if you missed that.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    hexclock said:
    I was told the developer community had no interest in AVP. Guess they do after all. 
    The small to medium sized developers who have had trouble getting noticed in the best of times are going sit out? All that can are going to try their best to get on board a new ecosystem. Some of the larger developers who don't please stay away someone else will gladly take your place.

New ecosystems don't come along very often.....
    edited February 2 williamlondonwatto_cobra