Meta joins list of companies that disapprove of Apple's DMA response

Posted:
in General Discussion

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg says Apple's DMA compliance makes it "difficult for anyone" to adopt, including Meta.

Meta Quest 3
Meta Quest 3

The European Union created the Digital Markets Act to combat companies designated as gatekeepers from monopolizing their platforms. Apple's compliance with the DMA will allow third-party app stores, reduce commissions to 17%, and implement a Core Technology Fee of 0.50 Euro per first install of an app after 1 million installs.

According to TechCrunch, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg voiced his thoughts on Apple's compliance with the DMA during an earnings call. He referred to the rules as "onerous" and expects developers to be unable to adopt them.

"I don't think that the Apple thing is going to have any difference for us because I think that the way that they've implemented it, I would be very surprised if any developer chose to go into the alternative app stores that they have," Zuckerberg said on the earnings call. "They've made it so onerous, and I think, so at odds with the intent of what the EU regulation was that I think it's just going to be very difficult for anyone -- including ourselves -- to really seriously entertain what they're doing there."

Unrelated to this story, but also mentioned as part of Meta's earnings, the company lost $4.65 billion on it's Reality Labs. It is the division responsible for developing the "metaverse" and is in direct competition with Apple's upcoming Apple Vision Pro.

Zuckerberg's complaints echo other tech executives complaining about Apple's implementation. He joins Microsoft, Spotify, and Epic Games in calling out the new rules.

The EU's DMA rules go into effect in March. Apple has iOS 17.4 in beta with its changes in place, ready for the deadline to comply.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    WHAT???  No Meta on Apple devices?

Awesome!
    mattinozdanoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Isn’t “onerous” the word Steve Jobs used to describe Facebook’s terms when Apple wanted to integrate something of Facebook’s into iTunes? (I think)
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    So build your own phone everyone wants… oh wait.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Lizard Zuck too busy embarrassing himself in front of the house panel. 

out of his league. garbage-boy
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Meta sells their users data to third party for advertisements. None of it goes through the App Store. At the same time software distribution goes completely through Apple for free.
    Why would they go for a third party store and risk costs? Unless the third party store would pay Meta for it.
    Who would a third party store would even bother to host them? Ok probably as a pull for users. But that would only work if it were exclusively on that 3rd party store and that would effectively limit Meta's exposure to their users significantly. I - as a European - will simply not accept any third party store on my device and I'm probably not alone.

Last but not least Marc Zuckerberg can show Apple how this is done right and open their (47% commision) Meta Quest to third party stores and show us how this is done right. We are waiting. (Oh wait they don't need to, because their Quest user base is too small).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    If companies such as Netflix, Spotify, Meta want to protest against Apple, they should pull out their apps from the App store instead of whining.

They know that they cannot take that risk so they are complaining and basically coming off as crybabies.

Although, if their aim is to cause reputation loss to Apple, it's working.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Of course they’re going to disapprove. As if they’re apples boss. 

They direct competitors! They want to hurt apple anyway they can and want to sway the eu into further unfair treatment of apple. 

Epic has its own nefarious reasons. 

Microsoft and other direct competitors will follow suit. 

If the eu (eww?) can’t see those conflicts of interest, they’re even more incompetent than previously thought. 

Meanwhile Zuckerberg has his own congressional problems. Yipes

edited February 2 danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 620member
    There are plenty of decisions made by others possibly affecting me and I just choose to avoid them. An example is the Best Buy return policy. They treat you like a crook even if it is unopened and if opened there are all kinds of rules with the goal of preventing the return. My solution is not to shop there. Another is Costco with their membership fee. No one likes it but those who like the store will pay. That too is something I will not pay for. Those are business decisions that directly affect consumers and their solution is to move in.

Any company thinking they are going to use a company's IP for free is delusional. Maybe Apple could give a crippled API away but require money for the full API. The freemium model.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra