Apple Vision Pro sees quiet launch at Apple Downtown Nashville

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited February 2

It's Apple Vision Pro release day, and the downtown Nashville Apple Store has opened to a quiet and small squad of people waiting to pick up their expensive glimpse into the future.

Apple Vision Pro - Nashville
Apple Vision Pro - Nashville

Pandemonium likely comes to mind if someone asks you to imagine an Apple store on a product release day. However, for Apple Vision Pro, a strict appointment system and limited pre-orders led to a quiet morning in Nashville.

Initial pre-order pickups and in-store availability for Apple's long-awaited Vision Pro headset began Friday morning. A hopeful few gathered outside the flagship Apple Downtown Nashville store for a chance to try on Apple Vision Pro or buy in-store stock.

A quiet gathering

Apple Downtown Nashville normally opens at 10 a.m., but its employees started the day at 8 a.m. for in-store pickup and demo appointments. Since a product demo can take as much as a half-hour, Apple asked that customers make an appointment.

I talked to those gathered outside the Apple Store before the doors opened, and four of us, out of about a dozen people, had pre-ordered the product. My pickup time was 9 a.m., while the others had time slots between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m., but several showed up early, hoping for pickup before their respective times.

The rest of the gaggle wanted to see the Apple Vision Pro in person. A few had signed up for the in-person demo, while others stopped to wait with the growing group for the doors to open.

Needless to say, the Apple Vision Pro release day was quite conservative compared to other device launches. That's likely due to multiple factors, including price, availability, and appointment slots.

It is expected that Apple sold around 180,000 Apple Vision Pro units during the pre-order weekend, but that metric hasn't been updated since. Apple could sell as many as 600,000 units by the end of 2024.

Enter the Apple Store

The doors opened to little fanfare as employees welcomed the group of people inside. The initial appointments were honored, and the rest of us were left to browse while we waited our turn.

Not exactly packed at opening for the Apple Vision Pro demo
Not exactly packed at opening for the Apple Vision Pro demo

Demos were held in the area generally reserved for Today at Apple sessions. Customers were paired off one-to-one with an employee to either pick up their pre-order or set up a demo unit.

Not everyone picking up a pre-order opted for the in-store demo. Likewise, not all demos ended in a sale.

The Apple Store employees were unsurprisingly tight lipped about the launch or other details that Apple may consider sensitive. Outside of that, employees were not expecting many people to show up for the initial release.

In-store demos

My pickup went quickly and well before the 9 a.m. central time slot I had registered for. I opted for the product demo and was walked through initial setup of the device by an Apple employee that could see everything from an iPhone I could AirPlay to.

The employees giving the tour brought a demo headset on a wood tray. We got walked through Safari, Photos, and a special Apple-produced video demonstrating media prowess of the headset.

Apple Vision Pro demo tray
Apple Vision Pro demo tray

The one step you won't get at home is an glasses measurement taken in the store prior to the demo. You hand over your glasses, and they use the machine to determine your prescription. If you've already submitted your prescription, this step is unnecessary.

Eyeglass prescription anaylzer machine in the Apple Store
Eyeglass prescription anaylzer machine in the Apple Store

The entire process was very similar to the walkthrough Apple posted on YouTube. I highly recommend that anyone on the fence about ordering Apple Vision Pro sign up for a demo before making the purchase. We'll be talking more about this process a bit later on Friday.

This product must be used first hand to understand in full. Stay tuned for AppleInsider's in-depth coverage and analysis of the Apple Vision Pro in the coming weeks.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I showed up at 7am for the opening at the Gardens Mall Apple Store in Palm Beach Gardens Florida and it had a similar vibe, maybe slightly less than a dozen people by 8am, about 1/3 for pickups, the rest for demos like nyself.

The experience of the staff was first rate and I had my demo at 8:30.  The UI was good but the 3D videos and the immersion experiences were trippy.  I felt intensely uncomfortable with Alicia Keys singing 5’ away from me in the studio, like I was going to be found out and slapped with a restraining order.  Likewise the soccer and baseball experiences were great…like being in the stadium.  The natural world experiences likewise.

I think the AVP will be a thing if the 3D and immersion content can be built out rapidly.  I hope AppleTV and Disney are on the ball with this.

It would be great to get influencers/amateurs on board but I am concerned about interference from Alphabet and Meta in this regard (because they will have hardware to compete as well) as they have YouTube and Instagram as obvious portals for content.
    dewmechasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    The devices that analyze eyeglass prescriptions are called Lensometers :) Sometimes they’re automatic like the ones at the Apple Store, sometimes they’re all physical/analog with dials you turn manually—the latter looking more like a microscope. They’re pretty fascinating!
    edited February 2 dewme9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I had a problem when ordering that delayed my "in-person" pickup by a day (Feb 3rd).  My confirmation email also said that the pickup date and time were tentative and NOT confirmed.   Rather a second email with confirmation would be sent.   Well that never arrived so I got up at 4 am this morning and drove the hour to my nearest Apple store.   There were only two of us from about 6:30 until just before opening - we had both pre-ordered and were picking up out of sequence from out allowed dates/slots. 

The store staff were super helpful and friendly, but this was certainly not a OG iPhone launch with mobs of people.   Staff confirmed that they had my order and product and created a slot at 9 am for demo and pickup.   It all went very smoothly, I even picked up a set of readers even though I probably will only need them if doing  a lot of detail work on VP.   The immersive video is going to be incredible as is the Dinosaur app that comes pre-installed.

The interface is super intuitive and easy - very short learning curve.   

Disappointed there were not more apps (none of Apple's work suite is available, there was no Contacts, YouTube (although I understand that there is today an app called Juno).

I spent the afternoon on the Moon watching movies and surfing the net - its the future...

danoxwatto_cobra