How to avoid getting motion sickness when wearing Apple Vision Pro

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Apple has revealed that Apple Vision Pro apps which have a high degree of motion will come with a warning icon.

Apple Vision Pro in an Apple Store
Apple Vision Pro in an Apple Store

Ahead of its launch, experts predicted that the Apple Vision Pro would be able to minimize the chances of motion sickness through its sheer performance. Apple had said the headset's response time is just 12 milliseconds, and that this provides a more naturalistic, realistic view of the world -- which should cut down motion sickness.

Now that the headset is finally available, Apple has updated its support documentation with details of how to avoid motion sickness while wearing the Apple Vision Pro. And it includes one simple technique -- look for the icon.

Apps that have a high degree of motion will include this warning icon in the App Store
Apps that have a high degree of motion will include this warning icon in the App Store

"Apps and Apple Immersive Media that feature larger amounts of motion may have the app motion information label," it says. "If you're getting used to Vision Pro or are susceptible to motion sickness symptoms, start with apps and media that don't have that label."

Apple does also caution users that "Spatial Video captured by customers might also include high motion experiences that could cause motion sickness for certain people."

There is also an option in the Apple Vision Pro to reduce the risk of motion sickness. Go to Settings, Accessibility, Motion, and then choose Reduce Motion.

The support documentation goes into more detail of specific ways to minimize motion sickness, but the headline advice is:

1. Don't spread Apple Vision Pro windows too far around your room so that you have to keep turning your head

2. Decrease the size of app windows

3. Turn the Digital Crown so you see more of the real space around you

4. Avoid apps that require you to turn your head and neck frequently

Apple also says that after using the headset, "make sure that you feel re-oriented to your environment before engaging in activities that require balance, coordination, or spatial awareness."

Also, "don't drive until you're fully recovered from motion sickness or motion sickness symptoms."

Apple is showing caution here and it is not the case that Apple Vision Pro is likely to cause motion sickness in most users. Nonetheless, users who are prone to it have even more reason to try an in-store demo before buying.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    How to avoid getting motion sickness from Apple Vision Pro? Don’t wear one or stock up on Dramamine! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🥲🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🥲🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Yeah, this is the thing that will prevent me from getting it. Hope to get some demo time when things have slowed down.

I can do a workout on a treadmill, and when I get off, have to wait about 30 seconds for the world to settle down. Don't feel motion sick while on a treadmill, but getting off after being on one for 20 min, there's some adjustment time. 15 min of a FPS or 3D driving game does make me motion sick. So "gaming" is not something I do.

Hoping it will just be alright if I only use it at a desk. 12 ms of latency while walking around probably isn't good enough for me.

This is only the motion sickness stuff. People will have sinus pressure, head pressure, neck strain issues. They'll have RSI from pinching. Kind of interesting that iPhone thumb isn't news worthy anymore?

dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    RCM7RCM7 Posts: 1member
    Have plenty of ginger ale and saltine crackers on hand.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    RCM7 said:
    Have plenty of ginger ale and saltine crackers on hand.
    Lol.  Yeah, won’t happen to me since i don’t
    see a reason to use the device.  Prefer looking at the real world, instead of a fantasy that these goggles afford:
    edited February 3